Thread: 17.5' inflatable Tiller or Console

Default 17.5' inflatable Tiller or Console

I hope to start building a Jumbo Tolman someday soon but until then I "have" to get out on the saltwater more so I'm picking up a 17.5' inflatable. I have a 50 TLDI with console and controls on another boat and I have a new 50 TLDI tiller. I'm trying to decide if it's better to go through the trouble of switching motors and using a console on the inflatable or just throw the tiller on and go? Any other cold and wet plastic boater out there have a leaning one way or the other?

I really believe it depends on how far you want to venture. If your plan was more than 15 miles one way a day I'd opt for the console. Mine is center consoled but a small side one wouldn't be bad either. I absolutely love the console and windshield for long trips. Normally we run between 90-140 miles a day so it helps alot.

Here's a shot of mine...

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

AK2AZ: I covet an inflatable like yours. Can you provide more details like, is it a RIB vs. SIB?, how did you attach the rod holders/down riggers?, etc.? Thanks!

The one pictured is a RIB. There is a thread on this site that shows a lot of how he added his accessories....etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    The one pictured is a RIB. There is a thread on this site that shows a lot of how he added his accessories....etc.
    Here it is: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ect?highlight=
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks bull elk killer and spoiled one. The rest of my morning is now ruined or awesome, depending on if you're me or my boss. That's a killer setup.

The link Spoiled one posted is for the SIB build...the RIB pictured is the Ugly Ducking build...do a search and I'm sure it will pop up.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=ugly+duckling

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    The link Spoiled one posted is for the SIB build...the RIB pictured is the Ugly Ducking build...do a search and I'm sure it will pop up.
    OOOPS! Here you go: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ild?highlight=
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

My days of inflatable boats are over. But, if I had to choose between a tiller and a center console, there really isn't a choice as the wind will be less, the splash mostly blocked, and your driving position much more confortable with the console boat. My back starts hurting when I think of my trips from Whitier to Coghill to catch reds. It often was a long, cold, and wet trip. Thank god for the cabin there. Also, inflatables are very light, and your boat will be better balanced with you in the middle of it - not saying you're fat or nothing......LOL.....

Cool! I can tell my wife that I need lots of cake and ice cream to keep the boat from flipping in the wind! Yahoo! Thanks for everyone's advice and links. Wish I'd kept my 24' Alaskan now. Hind sight... The tiller will be a better fit on the James Bay anyway. More room for moose. This is going to be a wet, cold and FUN fish-n-bear season.

Console. I have an 18' achilles SU with a 50tldi. You won't like the balance of an inflatable of this size with a tiller. Bow rise would be ridiculous. Even with 25 gallons of fuel in mine past the centerline of the boat it's still not enough weight for balance. Console is the only way to go for sure.

Rimage.jpga 16 feet Avon with center Consol tohotsu 50 hp

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    My days of inflatable boats are over. But, if I had to choose between a tiller and a center console, there really isn't a choice as the wind will be less, the splash mostly blocked, and your driving position much more confortable with the console boat. My back starts hurting when I think of my trips from Whitier to Coghill to catch reds. It often was a long, cold, and wet trip. Thank god for the cabin there. Also, inflatables are very light, and your boat will be better balanced with you in the middle of it - not saying you're fat or nothing......LOL.....
    Did you get to the coghill cabin in a boat??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default 17.5' inflatable Tiller or Console

Lots of us started out with a inflatable. Good little stater boat! Miss that little boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

If you're looking to rig a SIB in the 15-17' range I'd strongly consider a tiller set-up. I have a 16' Achilles SU-16 with a 50 etec and I'd absolutely hate to have a console in that thing. I'm guessing you're looking at the Inmar 17' 6"? That thing isn't super beamy and you'll run out of real estate before anything else. As far as being stern heavy with a tiller setup, I never had an issue with running my SU-16 with my etec. Hope this helps!