Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most popular "carry load" for 30-06 as primary rifle in AK

Default Most popular "carry load" for 30-06 as primary rifle in AK

The 300 and 338 Win Mags are the most popular cartridges in AK and the 30-06 is Number 3, according to a poll on this forum. What is the most popular load that most people use or carry in their 30-06 most of the time

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

180 grain partition for me.

I haven't packed on '06 in a while... but a 180 Corelokt would be fine or a Partition if you feel the need.

Most .308 bullets perform really well at '06 speeds.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

220 corelokt rn or the 180.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

180gr Speer Grand Slam if looking for bear, 165gr CoreLokt if looking for deer.

180gr Partition load has always been my go to.

180 grain Accubond and ReLoader 17.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

30 or 40 years ago it would have been any 180 grain bullet for moose and 220s for bear.

Eventually all the gun and hunting magazine writers from LA came up here for
    5 -6 days and decided that we natural born Alaskans had been doing it all wrong for the last 100 years.
    So everyone stated buying all sorts of cool looking super bullets and giant magnum rifles.

The closer you get to down-town Anchorage or Fairbanks the larger the rifle bores become.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

165 Sierra's are my normal hunting load for the 30-06, but I also have some 'older' Barnes 225's that are my carry load for the summer time. I have an older bolt action 30-06 that travels on the four wheeler. It is set up for close work and not general hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    30 or 40 years ago it would have been any 180 grain bullet for moose and 220s for bear.

Eventually all the gun and hunting magazine writers from LA came up here for
    5 -6 days and decided that we natural born Alaskans had been doing it all wrong for the last 100 years.
    So everyone stated buying all sorts of cool looking super bullets and giant magnum rifles.

The closer you get to down-town Anchorage or Fairbanks the larger the rifle bores become.
    I know Kachemak bay is a ways from anchorage, but don't you shoot 275 grain a-frames in a 350 remington mag??
    Here's one of your old threads discussing the merits of some standard medium-bore cartridges:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Win-35-Whelen

Enjoyed the theoretical/quick load read. Might want to adjust the numbers though: 358 win. shoots far beyond 2,400 fps with a 225 grain bullet. More like 2,550-2,600 fps (beartooth's load development). 2,700 fps for a 200 grainer (my accubond load development)

180 gr Rem cor-lokt. "Go to" load for many years.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Handloaded 180 grain Partitions .

Whatever the local grocery/hardware/gas station carries. Most likely, 180 grain loads by Winchester/Remington/Federal. Doesn't seem to make much difference in the '06.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I know Kachemak bay is a ways from anchorage, but don't you shoot 275 grain a-frames in a 350 remington mag??
    Here's one of your old threads discussing the merits of some standard medium-bore cartridges:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Win-35-Whelen
    Actually we are only a 45 minute flight or a 4 hour drive from Anchorage...

I also have a 416 Taylor, 45-70, 375 Ruger and so on....

........HOWEVER, I obviously own all sorts of rifles for which I really have no use hunting-wise,,,, because I like to experiment with hand-loads and rifle modifications.

90% of the time it is my 1956 vintage Husqvarna lightweight in 30-06 which is in the truck or plane for hunting. It shoots hot or cold barrel, carries five in the magazine and has a lightweight 20.5 inch barrel. It even likes 180 grain factory power point loads...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Good thread, very interesting, of course it would be interesting for me since I love the 30-06.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I'll pitch in an Idaho load..........200gr accubonds @2700fps.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    180 gr Rem cor-lokt. "Go to" load for many years.
    Same round I/we use. I've also bought some Winchester PowerShock SP 180's that I stumbled on a smoking deal several years ago prior to the 2008 election at 12 bucks a box but have not really hunted with them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Actually we are only a 45 minute flight or a 4 hour drive from Anchorage...

I also have a 416 Taylor, 45-70, 375 Ruger and so on....

........HOWEVER, I obviously own all sorts of rifles for which I really have no use hunting-wise,,,, because I like to experiment with hand-loads and rifle modifications.

90% of the time it is my 1956 vintage Husqvarna lightweight in 30-06 which is in the truck or plane for hunting. It shoots hot or cold barrel, carries five in the magazine and has a lightweight 20.5 inch barrel. It even likes 180 grain factory power point loads...
    I've really wanted to find one of those Huskies in 270. Those rifles are amazing.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

To chip in to the 30-06 conversation, my great uncle guided from 1951 to 1994 and never carried anything bigger than a 30-06 with the 220 grain Cor-Lokt rounds. He used those when guiding for brown bear and I believe that is what he used to take his polar bear. Otherwise it was 180 grainers for moose, caribou and black bear. Remington factory ammo has been supplied up here for a really long time and the factory ammo has killed a lot of critters up here.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    I'll pitch in an Idaho load..........200gr accubonds @2700fps.
    Lot of case capacity, why not ehh? Gives you impressive velocity, and impressive range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast