Thread: Southeast spring bear

Default Southeast spring bear

I need some advice on spring black bear DIY on POW. I drew the tag this year. Lookin for opinions on what other non residents have done and what any locals would recommend, advice.. etc. I've spent a a pretty good amount of time all over southeast, mostly by boat. Tentin' it sounds like it might suck, but I'm young and on a pretty slim budget, so I was lookin at that. Other thing was, might rent cabin if I could swing it. I'd most likely be alone. Early may? Earlier? I'm all ears.. Let me have it. Thanks

I suppose I will get some sh*t for asking for advice with one post, Ill make up for it down the road, hopefully with a bear story and pics.

Best hunt timing really depends on the year and when spring comes. I personally would start hunting between April 25 and may 1. Get a cabin if possible, but likely they are all fully booked at this point. The cabins aren't crazy expensive and are very worth it for the comfort factor over a tent. Most important piece of gear is a kayak or canoe. Use it to cruise the shorelines and you will get chances at bear. Best chance is shortly after snow melts when the only food source is on the beach and before the hills start to green up.

If you have the camping gear I could drop you off at a good hunting area on Wrangell and its easy to walk out.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks Amigo, I believe the tag I drew (DL027) is only valid for the Prince of Wales and some surrounding outer islands on the west side. I was in Wrangell last summer picking up some jugs of oil for a jet boat and decided to take a run up the Stikine and there were a ton of areas I wanted to spend time exploring but never got the chance to. Thanks again for the offer.

It depends on your tent and Kayak. I got dropped in S. POW wilderness once and brought a skin on frame sea kayak and Cabelas tent. Two bears were killed and good times were had. It's shaping up to be an early Spring. I'll be cruising to Kuiu the end of April if this weather trend stays.

Enjoy the scenery and the environment. Spring in SE is really neat. I like seeing all the deer fattening up. The Birds are active and the Grouse are thumping.

Good Luck!

Are you driving up, and hunting out of your vehicle? If on a shoestring budget, a tent would work fine. Sure it blows and rains on occation.. ain't nothing you couldnt' handle though. Come to Craig a few times a week and pay 3 bucks to shower at the city pool and get a decent meal to eat at one of the fine restaurants here in town. Early May is usually a good time to be here. As it was mentioned, it looks like we are having an early spring.. but you know how that goes. The more popular method to hunt is beaches.. estuaries in particular. It's a good spot to be. If you are on foot, get yourself google earth and figure out what roads get you close to some nice bays to hunt. You just gotta pack it out though.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. Ill have to do a little more logistics research and make it happen. Im looking at maybe the 27th of april through...?? Anyone out there wants to join, send me a message and maybe we can work something out.