Thread: Haul Rd Question

Default Haul Rd Question

Hello,

Could someone tell what the facility a few mile south of pump station three is on the East side of the road? Can I assume a highway maintenance station? They've got a gravel pit behind them that backs up right to the Sag. Does anyone know if there is public access off the haul road into the gravel pit and the river?

Thanks,

Default Sag River DOT

That would be the Sag River DOT station. Approximately MM 312.

Sorry I don't have info on river access there but from the Hunting Regs... "..licensed highway vehicles may be used on the following designated roads...6) any constructed roadway or gravel pit within 1/4 mile of the Dalton Highway."
    I don't remember there being a gate near the start of that road so my bet is that it's OK.

There is a gate and there is a an access road to the river in the northeast corner of the pit area. On the days the gate is open you can drive to the river

Default Maintenance stations

Yeah, but you have to be careful here. Those maintenance stations are not there to serve the general public, nor are the pump stations. They are strictly there to maintain the road for the truckers and to pump the oil.

Those stations will close and lock their gates when unmanned, which can be frequent and for extended periods of time, and if you are caught inside, you are stuck until someone comes back to open the gate. These are not general access points.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Good advice, being locked in would not be a good thing. At least it's access, if only temporary, for droping off gear.

What is the parking situation at The Galbraith Lake Airport. Could you leave a truck there for a week? Is it state owned or Alyeska owned?

Default DOT stations

Sag river is actually at Mile post 305 on the Dalton. I am pretty sure you can bow hunt anywhere you want as long as you follow the rules. The gates are hardly ever locked at the DOT stations, and there is a public phone at every one that is isolated, ( Chandalar and Sag River). The rule is tread lightly, respect the land and people around you that you encounter and don't drive your rig on the tundra. Not a lot of folks come up here this time of year and the visitors are welcome; unless they come expecting something. Have Fun

BOAT LAUNCH IS ALYESKA PIPELINE COMPANY CONTROLLED, PART OF THAT AREA IS THEIRS, BIG GRAVEL PIT TO RIGHT OF GATE IS DOT'S. THEY USED TO ALLOW HUNTERS TO CAMP IN THE PIT UNTIL SOMEONE DISPOSED OF A CARIBOU CARCASS IN A POND THERE..... JUST SO HAPPENS THAT WAS WHERE THEY GOT THEIR WATER.
    THAT GATE IS MORE THAN 1/4 MILE (PROBABLY A MILE OR MORE) SO TECHNICALLY IF YOU DRIVE TO GATE YOU ARE BREAKING LAW. BUT WHAT WAS FISH AND WILDLIFE'S STAND ON THE TWO TRUCKS DRIVING ON THE TUNDRA LAST YEAR AGAIN??????

LINK ABOUT TRAVEL OFF HAUL ROAD- PAGE 101 IN REGS COULD NOT GET IT TO CUT AND PASTE

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...s_complete.pdf
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 05-13-2007 at 15:44. Reason: ADD LINK
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Nimrod

Nimrod is right. 1/4 mile off of the Haul Road is all you can go with only a few exceptions. The road is appealing though. No signs stating that you can't drive down past DOT. Not that I have ever done that.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Unethical "hunters"

That is just the problem with most places up there. When I first started going up there in the mid-80's, it was easy to get access at one of the stations or at the UAF site near Slope Mountain. A couple of biologists actually stopped us one day and invited us to use their place, and told us where a large number of caribou were passing behind the station. We moved camp there and those guys invited us in for supper.
    Then, one year some "hunters" from Fort Wainwright went into a couple of the experimental project building and gutted caribou and left the gut piles and destroyed some plant projects. After that, they pretty much cut everybody off. They know who did it because one of those retards got his truck stuck (sound familiar?) and they were pulling him out when one of the biologist came upon them. Same with a couple of the DOT stations. Some people vandalized a couple of buildings and stole equipment, so it isn't nearly as open as it used to be anywhere up there.

One or two idiots ruin it for everyone, so respect any priviledge you are given by DOT, Alyeska or anyone else up there.

Default Soldiers

Its true one or two bad apples spoil the bunch!

It is unfortunate that all soldiers who hunt here get labeled bye comments such as this. The problem is that it is easy to label us, when a soldier makes a mistake it makes us all look bad. If a civilian makes a mistake everyone just calls him a what ever and moves on. Myself and many other soldiers have dreamed of the opertunity to hunt in alaska, and it sucks to treated like we are tresspasing on all the "locals".

Maybe they should have a soldier-civilian hunting program were soldiers who hunt big game animals have to hunt with a local hunter for there first year in alaska, and any local hunter who sponcers a soldier gets a free licence from the military, and draw permit of there choice. Who knows. Alaska is a very initmidating state to hunt in, despite all of its opertunities.

I have been blesses with the oprtunity to hunt here in Alaska, and the memories will be with me the rest of my life!

Sorry about the spelling!

Galbraith Airport is owned by the state and leased to, and maintained by the state and Alyeska. You can park at the Galbraith airport for extended periods as long as you park away from buildings.

You can also legally drive to the back of the Sag River DOT pit or to the river because the 1/4 mile rule does not mean you cannot venture farther that 1/4 mile from the Dalton. It says..."or any contructed road OR gravel pit within 1/4 mile of the Dalton Highway." The state maintains the Sag River road which makes it a public road.

In so far as preventing any further restrictions to access...like others said, a little courtesy goes a long way

i do not have the same interpetation as eric on the 1/4 mile.
    i see it as you can pull off on to any constructed road or gravel pit but the limit is 1/4 mile max from haul road.
    i will try to get fish and wildlife protection to clarify.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Military hunters

garrison1012, rest assured I do support every soldier/airmans right and priviledge to hunt Alaska. I am a 21 year military veteran myself. I spent 8 years at Eielson. I retired as an E-8 in 1996, so I do have an insight "civilians" don't about how it is to be a soldier or airman up here. Yes, one or 2 DO spoil it for all of us. Yes, that lable will always be put on all G.I.'s and not on civilians. Look at the idiots with the Tundra trucks. They were Air Force. They are an embarassment to every soldier/airman up here, but they exist and did something beyond stupid. We were all labeled because of them. Do you for one minute think the mechanics in Alaska would be identified if these buffoons were mechanics from, say, Seekins Ford? No, but G.I.'s have a larger and more pronounced standard in the communities they serve in. That is just the way it is across the world, not just here.

When I retired, I got a job that had a number of active-duty personnel working part-time. One in particular stood out as an example of the worse of the worse. He and I had regular heated arguments about hunting Alaska. He took the attitude that he is here "to defend these dammned civilians" and he would hunt when and where he pleased, laws be dammned. He did, too, until he got caught poaching a moose. The next year, he was caught shooting caribou with a rifle from his pick-up by Slope Mountain. He bragged that he never bought a hunting or fishing license here because everybody in Alaska "owes" him just for being stationed here. He just didn't care, and bragged that he was Army and we could all kiss his you know what. He was an embarassment to all of us, but he was the "example" a lot of locals saw all of us as being. Of the literally hundreds of active, past and retired military members I know or have met here, the few that are the scum of the earth are the ones everyone remembers.

THIS is why we ALL, active and retired military, MUST police our own and expose those clowns and let everyone know that not all military are like that. You probably weren't here then, but a while back in a couple of places up here, you had better not leave your vehicle unattended with a base decal in the window. You'd get back to it with no windows left and the gas tank full of sugar. You can thank fools like I described for this, not the vast majority of us.

I am very excited still to be in Alaska, and have been very blessed with what I have accomplished and have been able to do up here. Instead of just talking about it, I went and did it. I am slowing down a bit now, but the sight of the first bear I saw the other day in Valdez is just as pronounced today as it was in 1984 when I first got up here. Believe me, I will be the first to welcome you and every other military member to visit, hunt and fall in love with my home, Alaska. I do ask, no, demand, that you treat it with the utmost respect and leave a positive legacy for the future military hunters to follow, and not be automatically labeled as unethical, poachers or scumbags, as some of our bretheren before us and here at the same time as us, have done. I regret no statement I have made, and say them to show everyone that the majority of us military types are good, decent and very ethical. People seem to forget that the military is just a cross-section of the country, and we are all just like our civilian counterparts. But, we are under a microscope in most communities across the world, and will always be. That's just the way it is. The better we all are, the better we will all be seen.

By the way, bears are out in Valdez. They were late this year, but since Wednesday until this morning, I saw 11 bears. Didn't see even one from Sunday to Wednesday morning. Then, like magic, they were everywhere. I passed on 2 shooters, as I have taken larger than both and was looking for an exception this year.
    Last edited by Hawken54; 05-18-2007 at 20:54.

Salute rendered Hawken. Well said.

Nimrod, looking forward to the clarification you get from officialdom. I don't want to be the giver of erroneous info that gets someone in the lurch.

Cheers