Thread: DM726 Cow tag advice

Default DM726 Cow tag advice

Hi folks, I drew DM726 (a cow moose tag) in the Upper Chatanika area for 9/1-9/20. This is a new area for me but I put it for it because it sounded like there could be good potential for cow and bull. Anybody have an tips or suggested trails to hunt off of? My research on this site for that tag did not come up with a whol lot so any help is appreciated. I was planning on going in on ATV but rafts and/or kayaks are on the table too if a river float is more appropriate. I imagine its quite busy up there but hopefully having the opportunity to take a cow will make it worth wild. Thanks in advance.

The highway parallels the river thru the entire area. I'd leave the ATV and float it with your raft. Should be a fairly laid back float. May need to make a recon trip to decide put in-take out points. Bring your fishing gear too!

Best of luck!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

WIfe had this tag twice, barley left the truck, but if adventure is what your looking for leave the wheeler and float the river, lots of moose far side on river, easy tag, in fact she has the same tag for this year but we will be in Delta for my moose hunt .

Thanks for advise. I will start looking more heavily into a float trip. Incidently are there many four wheeler trails out there in the event we go that route? I would imagine with it being mining country there would be. I intend to head out an look around this summer, talk to the biologist, and do the other due diligence, but any bread crumbs from knowledgeable folks on this forum are just as valuable in my mind.

There's a couple short(<2 mi) trails/roads that go north off the highway, one at Faith creek and one at Caribou creek. You can actually pick them out on Google Earth, although it's in poor resolution.

It seems like there's a couple going east off the road to Nome creek also. Much higher elevation there though aka fewer moose.

There is a well you may find handy at the campground at Nome creek too.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74