Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ring on my brass

Default Ring on my brass

Quick question, I just had a 300 win mag rechambered to 300 WBY mag. I fired a couple of test rounds through it today. And there is a ring in the brass, about half way down the neck. Does this mean there is a rough spot in the chamber? This will surely cut way down on brass life if not taken care of right?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Not a gunsmith but sounds like the smith chattered the reamer.. How far are you from rigby????

i just looked your a good distance away from rigby...

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Quick question, I just had a 300 win mag rechambered to 300 WBY mag. I fired a couple of test rounds through it today. And there is a ring in the brass, about half way down the neck. Does this mean there is a rough spot in the chamber? This will surely cut way down on brass life if not taken care of right?
    I'd take it back to your smith, show him the brass, and have it cleaned up. (Don't smiths test fire after doing a chamber job anymore?)
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Photo tells a thousand words.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Pictures would help a bunch. But if you were to just run a 300 WBY reamer into a largish 300 WM chamber till it headspaces youíd likely get an angle change someplace between the belt and shoulder. To avoid this the barrel should be set back a turn before the re-chamber, by setting back you assure the reamer cuts all parts of the chamber new not leaving any old. Not saying that is it but that is my flying blind first thought. Could be bad reamer, misalignment or a hundred other things too.

Yes that should have been spotted in test fire and fixed, everybody has bad days though and itís how we handle the aftermath of a screw-up thatís most important.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

If he was closer to rigby I would take it to dean zollinger... Pocatello you have mike scherz as well... But I would take it back to smith for sure...

My bad, I speed misread the OP, you said neck and I read body. Still much the same in that itís a reamer NCU (non cleanup) but could be much harder to fix this if the WM reamer cut the neck large.

Okay here are links to the technical drawings for each, top specs are for the round and bottom for the chamber, we are looking at the bottom. Maybe open them up in new windows so you can click back and forth.
    300WM
    300WBY

Now see that the WMís chamber neck ends at 2.6440Ē and is .3407Ē diameter.
    Then see that the WBYís chamber neck ends at 2.844 (the +.012 is the forcing cone, ignore it) and is .339Ē or almost a thousandths smaller.

Now see why you have a ring mid neck? About .200Ē from the WBY case mouth is where the WM chamber ended, very unlikely you can set the barrel back .200Ē to fix it. To fix he going to need to open the neck up to a uniform diameter, not hard to do but will take another reamer he may need to order. Good news is a .3405Ē is a stock size and should, with any luck clean it up.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

AD is right on. I had an xp100 in 221 recut to 223 and would get a ring right where the former 221 body stopped and the 223 chamber continued. No big deal but it looked funny. I doubt it will have any effect on case life.

I'm going back to the smith tomorrow. Was in a hurry when I picked it up today to get to work. Work swing shift. Upon further inspection there is another, not as noticeable ring right about where the shoulder and neck meet. Sorry for no pictures.
    I just measured, the ring is right at .200 from the end of the case. It looks like a perfect scratch all the way around the neck.

Attachment 68757
    Best picture I could get.

Attachment 68758
    Hope you can view this pic

ADfields,

You were right on. The ring is from where the oversized win mag chambered ended. The smith said there was nothing they could do. Guess I learned my lesson about paying for quality. I guess I shouldn't say that, Mel Doyle has done good work in the past. Just not so good since he's gotten older and hired helpers in the shop.
    I am going to load and fire a small batch of brass over and over and see if the ring on the brass will cause it to split or not. Then I will go from there.

It shouldnít be a big issue for brass life using the brass just for that rifle. If you wanted to be nit picky you could open the oversize portion of the neck inside your sizing die and just let it ride rather than sizing the ring out every time.

Now, in what way did he determine it is oversize, did he cast the chamber?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    It shouldnít be a big issue for brass life using the brass just for that rifle. If you wanted to be nit picky you could open the oversize portion of the neck inside your sizing die and just let it ride rather than sizing the ring out every time.

Now, in what way did he determine it is oversize, did he cast the chamber?
    You can feel the slight difference in size on either side of the ring. When I size the cases it goes back to where it should be. I am going to try it as it is for right now. Hopefully it shoots ok.

Update on the problem. I couldn't live with the chamber cut the way it was. Talked to the smith this morning and they finally saw it my way after a lengthy conversation. Took it back over there, and should have it back next week some time, fixed right I hope.

You can feel the slight difference in size on either side of the ring. When I size the cases it goes back to where it should be. I am going to try it as it is for right now. Hopefully it shoots ok.
    Reason I ask how he determined if it was oversize is he could just be telling you that because he doesnít want to bother with it as mostly cosmetic. Iím not at all saying he is like that, I donít know the guy and hate to say it where anyoneís name could get attached to doing business that way but there are guys out there like that. If he didnít cast the chamber or at least put a micrometer on a fired brass there is no way to know if itís correctable. I give it 50/50 that it is correctable by reaming the neck area slightly larger to remove the step.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy,
    He is going to set the barrel back a thread or 2 like he should of in the first place. That should remedy the problem.

Andy,
    He is going to set the barrel back a thread or 2 like he should of in the first place. That should remedy the problem.
    Issue solved.....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thatís sure the best fix if there is room to set it back far enough to move the shoulder up to the ringed area. Glad heís on it for ya!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Got my rifle back today. Fired brass looks like it should. That was a pain in the butt, but at least it is done right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast