Thread: Salting for clams????

Default Salting for clams????

ok just stumbled onto probably the easiest method of razor clam digging ever, where salt is applied to the dimple, wet down with a little water and then the clam basically jumps out of the sand for you to grab? anyone else heard of this? is there any practicallity for our type of razor clams and is it even leagal to use this method in AK? the TUBE has videos of it and it appearst o remove ALL of the back breaking labor

OK so here is just one of many videos. I do see where some of these are in Australia.
    I suppose its legality depends on whether salt is considered a toxicant or poison.

From the regs:
    Use of explosives or toxicants: The use of any explosive or toxicant for taking any fish in the waters of Alaska is prohibited. The use of a shaft tipped with an explosive charge, commonly known as a bang stick or powerhead, is prohibited in fresh water and salt water.

I suspect a call to ADF&G is warranted on this one. If it works and is legal I like the idea.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

yeah my feelings exactly, spent too many days wishing i hadn't dug so hard last year, hoping for something a little more rewarding

...and definition of toxicant is a human produced poison. Use sea salt and argue your case...?

Definitely didn't know this was possible though!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I think it would work if the clam was close to the surface, but good luck with that here. From what I read, the salt and water makes the clam think the tide is in, so it comes out from under the sand. I think carrying around enough salt and water to make a go of it, would be worse than just digging them up. Hell digging them up is half the fun. And if you are just tricking them into think the tide is in, just pour some regular salt water on them.

Idea: A nice buggy with a large water tank and a hose flushing the clam hole sounds like much easier. Especially if you are dragging it behind a wheeler.
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Snider View Post
    I think it would work if the clam was close to the surface, but good luck with that here. From what I read, the salt and water makes the clam think the tide is in, so it comes out from under the sand. I think carrying around enough salt and water to make a go of it, would be worse than just digging them up. Hell digging them up is half the fun. And if you are just tricking them into think the tide is in, just pour some regular salt water on them.

Idea: A nice buggy with a large water tank and a hose flushing the clam hole sounds like much easier. Especially if you are dragging it behind a wheeler.
    I completely agree. Digging them is the fun of the whole trip. If I wasn't a mud coated and soaking wet at the end of the tide I really don't think I would enjoy it nearly as much. Clamming is a chance to be a kid on the beach again and I like it.