Thread: Winter King March 2nd

Default Winter King March 2nd

Spent the weekend down in Petersburg. Got out on Saturday to a local fishing hole. We got lucky and nobody else listened to the marine forcast. Was calling for a SE wind in the morning switching to NE light and variable in the afternoon. We slopped over to the spot to find nobody else fishing. Everyone we talked to said they looked out at the sound and thought it would be too rough for fishing.... Anyway, caught it trolling in 40 ft. with on a whole green label herring behind a 6" red fish flash.

If you caught a king salmon that was 37" long and yielded 19 lbs of fillets how much did the whole fish weigh? The fish was a bit of a torpedo.

Along the same lines, how much do the guts and gills weigh on a feeder king (no developed sperm or eggs)?

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

26 to 27ish pounds is my guestimate. Maybe a little more ?? I used 40% - which may be too high for a salmon.

This link shows what someone thinks is yeild for some species.....I always heard halibut is 60% yield.

This link is showing 72% for salmon - head off, skin on, net caught fish, 18lb +..........and then in the next table it shows the same 72% for head on troll caught........something is amiss.

http://www.chefs-resources.com/SeafoodYields-Salmon

30.4 lbs, beautiful fish!!

AKBoater, that is a nice fish and pic with the bergs in the background.

As far as how much does the fish way? Well, it's your fish and it can way as much as you want it to when you are telling the story.

I'm horrible at estimating the weight of king salmon. In the past I always way overestimated. My best guess for this fish was mid to upper 20's in the 25-28 lb. category. But following your advice I'll just say it was a funky camera angle and claim an honest 40 lbs.....
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.