Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 28 th Boone and Crockett awards banquet

Default 28 th Boone and Crockett awards banquet

I received a letter from Boone and Crockett inviting me to send my bear skull from my grizzly I harvested this year in Kotz, for a final measurement and awards banquet in July for the 28th awards book, they also want me to write a story about the hunt ect. Is there anyone hat has attended this before, is it worth the money to go and has anyone else on the forum also get an invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfoxAK View Post
    I received a letter from Boone and Crockett inviting me to send my bear skull from my grizzly I harvested this year in Kotz, for a final measurement and awards banquet in July for the 28th awards book, they also want me to write a story about the hunt ect. Is there anyone hat has attended this before, is it worth the money to go and has anyone else on the forum also get an invitation.
    I'm surprised you got a skull from a Kotz area bear that is that big. What was the measurement? I assume you had it scored by a B&C official?
    Maybe the advertising contracts and speaking fees will more than pay for the cost!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by crossfoxAK View Post
    I won first place with a Mtn Goat in the 23rd awards, I didn't go to the banguet, but wished now that I would have!... I wouldn't miss it if you can go!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I'm surprised you got a skull from a Kotz area bear that is that big. What was the measurement? I assume you had it scored by a B&C official?
    Maybe the advertising contracts and speaking fees will more than pay for the cost!!
    B&C wouldn't send him a invite unless it was scored by an official scorer!

I know a guy that got an invite too. The cost of shipping his moose antlers was pushing $1100 out of his pocket.

Kyle (hunt_ak) went to it for an interior grizz that he shot when he was ~16 years old. I know the hunt story, but I don't recall his take on the banquet.

I am in the same boat. Unfortunately, shipping antlers is not quite as simple as shipping a skull. It would cost me $1500-2000 dollars to ship my antlers to Reno. Granted, I think it would be a neat experience, and quite the honor, but I am just a poor Alaskan and don't have that kind of coin to throw around. What would you guys do?

AniWahaya

If you have the means I'd go for sure! How many times in ones life does that happen? I bet the ceremony/banquet is amazing!

J in AK, what did your caribou officially score?

I'm really serious about going, I bet that sending a moose or caribou would be far more expensive then a bear skull, the likely hood of being invited again is pretty slim, I hear it is a big honor but I again the costs of flying is a lot, they do say that if they don't get sent then there will be an asterisk in the book by your name and you would be pushed back into a book another 3 years.

I know a few guys who went to the banquet, they all said it was pretty cool and worth going to!...paying $1000-2000 to send moose or bou horns, I don't know about doing that!

449 1/8 gross
    440 4/8 net

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    449 1/8 gross
    440 4/8 net
    Wow! That is very very symetrical for a caribou.

Theres the odd Big Bear up this way.

Most are caught by locals, and bragging, boasting and talking up a Bear is a cultural big "No-no" Most will just acknowlage that they did catch a Bear, but few words on how big, small or what ever, most all will downplay the whole thing, it's something you just have to go and see, hanging outside their house or getting dropped off in a nice roast.

I dont mind talking /posting on such, but for most folks around me, If theres bragging to be done, its about a Hunter, not from a Hunter..........which often gives me a cool point of view

Still banquets that benifit wildlife has to be good!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    I know a few guys who went to the banquet, they all said it was pretty cool and worth going to!...paying $1000-2000 to send moose or bou horns, I don't know about doing that!

Got my invite the other day, after talking to you about it a while back, think I'll likely be going...

This thread is worthless without pictures!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    I am in the same boat. Unfortunately, shipping antlers is not quite as simple as shipping a skull. It would cost me $1500-2000 dollars to ship my antlers to Reno. Granted, I think it would be a neat experience, and quite the honor, but I am just a poor Alaskan and don't have that kind of coin to throw around. What would you guys do?
    My kid got the invite a couple years ago and wanted to go until I told him the cost of shipping. Smart kid, said he'd rather I spent it on another hunt. At that time, Cabelas was shipping mounts for this event to their Reno store for free. So maybe in a couple years, it will be viable for Alaskans to attend.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Got an invite this year as well, not only do I not want to pay $1500+ to ship the mount to Reno but I do not like the idea of the mount hanging out down there for four months doing who knows what!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_enviro View Post
    Got my invite the other day, after talking to you about it a while back, think I'll likely be going...
    Cool, I hope you go, it should be a good time!

Don't know how to work this out but I'm willing to donate at least 10,000 miles on Alaska Airlines to facilitate someone in need to attend. PM me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast