Thread: Sheep Tok Management Area

Default Sheep Tok Management Area

I have booked a hunt with 40 mile air for the DS 103 hunt and I am in the Tok River area. I have heard from people that people who have hunted this area can access this valley with 4 wheelers. Anyone know if this is true and if so what drainages are accessible in this area? I have booked a hunt with 40 mile air for the DS 103 hunt and I am going to be put in the Tok River area. I have heard that people who have hunted this area have had issues with people also hunting this area by 4 wheeler. Anyone know if this is true and if so what drainages are accessible in this area? If you donít want to post on thread private message me.

Fly in to maximize hunting time would be my recommendation. Hunted it twice so far by way of truck and polaris ranger. Got lucky both years with normal to low water levels. The guys running wheelers while pulling trailers are just asking for trouble IMO. I let my guard down once and dunked the ranger. You will burn a day on each end at the minimum to drive to where you are looking at flying. Plus you could be going to the strip up top so that will save a bit of hiking. No doubt someone will tell you it's a piece of cake to wheeler in but these are just my thoughts. Fly in or risk high water and not be able to go where you plan?

If it were me (and I've been trying for this tag since the late 80's) I would spend the $$ and have Leif/Randy/Jake drop you in via the super cubs. You won't find better pilots, nor anyone who knows that area better.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Sorry, misread your post, I thought you were asking if it were better to hunt via wheeler or 40 mile. Alot of the TMA can be access via 4 wheeler, providing the Tok river is low. Not sure how many folks do it, but I know of two guys who harvested rams over the years by doing just that. I'd ask Leif what he thinks, you'll get the straight answer from him.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Walk in hunters or Offroad vehicle hunters will happen. Plan for it and use it to your advantage.