Thread: Caribou sightings Unit 13

Default Caribou sightings Unit 13

Anyone been up to Paxson and the Nelchina caribou areas and spot anything this weekend? Heading up next week during spring break. Appreciate the information.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

There was just a recent post by 907pride. Bou spotted just west of the CUA on the Denali.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Take a look at the Unit 13 thread, Dave - it has gotten back on track lately. There are caribou being seen from the Cantwell and Paxson ends of the Denali Highway along with the Eureka area. I'll possibly be up there as well.

I saw 3 small herds on the Nelchina river this past weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Anyone been up to Paxson and the Nelchina caribou areas and spot anything this weekend? Heading up next week during spring break. Appreciate the information.
    Good to see you are back in Alaska Dave! The kids and I will be up there during spring break giving it one last try as well.

Just got back from riding the denali Hwy from Cantwell to Mclaren. My buddy shot his first big game animal up near Mclaren Summit. There were about 25 caribou in the group.

According to the bio's in Glennalle and a few lodge owner's I've talked to, there is decent groups here and there between Maclaren and PAxson, and in between Eureka and Lake Louise road. We're going to give Slide Mountain a try this Saturday. I'll give a full report when we get back.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

We just got back from Paxson side. Between mile 10-12 there were 200 - 300 between 3-4 groups. Quite a bit in my opinion. We have spent 4-5 trips there this season, and finally filled the Tier 1 tag of my buddies. I don't know how the trip is in from Cantwell as all our trips have been through Paxson, but unless the crowds of people scare them away, there should be ample amounts of caribou for the weekend. Conditions were great, trail was fantastic as well. Thanks to the groomers I presume. Good luck!

Sounds good. waiting for the snowgo to get fixed. Gear is ready. Need to check pistol to see if it is sighted in and ready to go.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Heres the post I had in the other thread. It may help a bit. I'm sure there will be allot of people out this weekend. It's the start of spring break.

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    I just got back from Maclaren. I spent Wednesday night at the lodge. I rode in and out by myself and put about 110 miles on the sled in all. Lots of caribou to be had for sate and federal hunters. Most of the caribou are right in Hungry Hollow at mile 10-12 which is right in the BLM area so they can be shot by state or federal hunters. I would say there are about 300 caribou through there. There are also about 200 more on Maclaren Summit divided into a few smaller groups. They are around mile 38. I only saw 2 small bulls that still had there antlers. They must still be frozen on. Bring your warm weather gear. Even though it wasn't too cold it was still pretty windy in Hungry Hollow and also at Maclaren Summit. The trail is great all the way to the lodge. Allen the owner, is out grooming the trail right now so it will be freshly groomed for the weekend.

They still have a few rooms left at Maclaren lodge. Make sure you bring enough fuel, but if you didn't, they sell it at the lodge. I wasn't caribou hunting because I already put mine in the freezer this past fall, but it would have been an easy hunt. They are just standing right by the road. Go take your pick. The trail does get a little wind blown between mile 8 and 14 but it's still pretty good.

Make sure you don't shoot a caribou inside the Paxson Closed Area. There were a few crossing through there so just make sure you know where it is, and where you are. Also, keep in mind that ptarmigan season is closed in that sub-unit and trapping season just closed yesterday. I probably saw about 2000 ptarmigan. In this photo you should be able to see a small group of bou and if you look close you'll see about 15 ptarmigan as well. Good luck to everybody headed out this weekend. ~907~
    Attachment 68648Attachment 68649

My son and I each have a permit and may give it a try sometime over spring break.. We dont have snow machines so it will likely be a road hunt. If you see a couple guys walking and pulling sleds around Eureka and Lake Louis that'll be us.