Thread: Gold Mint to Moose Creek

Default Gold Mint to Moose Creek

Anybody hiked over Grizzly pass from the Mint hut to Moose creek area? Wondering what the Mint glacier is like and if there is much crevasse danger. Or has anyone ever hiked up Moose creek from the buffalo mine road? Any info for that area would be helpful!

AniWahaya

Quote Originally Posted by stickshaker View Post
    Anybody hiked over Grizzly pass from the Mint hut to Moose creek area? Wondering what the Mint glacier is like and if there is much crevasse danger. Or has anyone ever hiked up Moose creek from the buffalo mine road? Any info for that area would be helpful!
    Are you talking about going up to the head waters of Moose Creek and over?
    There might be a shadow of a trail remaining but you would want to find the easements i.e. there's private property surrounding the base of the canyon.

I haven't been through the other side at all. YET ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by stickshaker View Post
    Yes I have. The mint glacier can be very slick in the summertime with all the meltwater running on the top of it. Make sure you bring some yak tracks or crampons with you. I have hiked over Grizzly pass a couple times. I have never seen any crevasses that were of major concern. Once you get down into moose creek there are some decent game trails to hike on that will lead you all the way down to Buffalo Mine Road. You have one major creek crossing at the end. During hot spells in the summer it can swell up to waist level. The game trails are not easy walking by any means, but a lot better than bushwhackin it through all the alders and willows. Overall I think it is about 25 miles. You can do it in 2-3 days comfortably. You can spend one night up at the Gold Mint Hut and then spend 1 or 2 nights somewhere along moose creek. Nice hike.

Is grizzly pass pretty easy to pick out? I've been to the mint hut twice but never too far above it. Do you have to wait until late summer for the mint glacier to be snow free? Ever just hike to/from buffalo mine road?