Thread: 20 mile/placer reports?

Default 20 mile/placer reports?

Wondering if anyone was riding placer or 20 mile this weekend. I rode 20 mile for a little bit today (sunday) and there was not much snow! Happened into a couple ptarmigan and got one. Saw one other group of four riders out there as we were headed back to the truck. I was thinking about trying placer next weekend, any reports from the other side of the arm?
    Also, I have been doing a lot of googling and can not find any good maps of the 20 mile area. Google maps also doesn't show the area very well because their arial photo is too dark to see anything. Does anyone have a map of the area or a link?
    Thanks,
    Riley

I was at Placer on Saturday, the snow was settled with about 8" of fresh on top, not much carving down low. Up higher the snow was much better if you're looking to ride the hills.

I am planning on trying placer this next weekend, hopefully this weather doesn't hold and all the snow doesn't melt! It was raining when we were riding around 20 mile. Did you guys park in the big area opposite the portage turn off?

Acme mapper 2.0 some times does better. The cabelas hunting app and using satalite photos is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    Wondering if anyone was riding placer or 20 mile this weekend. I rode 20 mile for a little bit today (sunday) and there was not much snow! Happened into a couple ptarmigan and got one. Saw one other group of four riders out there as we were headed back to the truck. I was thinking about trying placer next weekend, any reports from the other side of the arm?
    Also, I have been doing a lot of googling and can not find any good maps of the 20 mile area. Google maps also doesn't show the area very well because their arial photo is too dark to see anything. Does anyone have a map of the area or a link?
    Thanks,
    Riley
    So you were the group of two we saw heading out of 20 mile as we were coming in! We busted brush for a good bit trying to find a way further back in but never had any luck. Either got boxed in by trees and brush or open water.

Went to Placer after that and it has plenty of snow but due to the warm weather and rain everything was setup till you started getting further back and or higher up.

Thanks for the report Bronco! I was hoping the guys who cut wood on that trail were on here! I wanted to say thanks! After a little while on the first trail we decided were bringing a saw next time, thanks for the trail maintenance. Made the ride back that much better. We did some boondocing through the alders and gave up, didn't make it that far but once I bring a saw I am sure I can make it farther. I will also bring some flagging tape to try and make the trail more obvious. I love the 20 mile area in the summer and fall, I hope we get more snow there so we can make it farther back.

Spookum, Thanks for the acme mapper tip! I have never been there before and their maps are the best I have found online so far. Only problem is there satellite images are the same as google's, so there is still the dark area further up the valley. Super good topos though!

Here you go. Follow this link. Alaska Mapped shows about half the 20 mile valley with good resolution but the other half is blurry. At least it's allot better than the Google Maps for the 20 mile area. You can zoom in and use it basically the same as you would with Google maps.

http://browse.alaskamapped.org/#browse

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    Thanks for the report Bronco! I was hoping the guys who cut wood on that trail were on here! I wanted to say thanks! After a little while on the first trail we decided were bringing a saw next time, thanks for the trail maintenance. Made the ride back that much better. We did some boondocing through the alders and gave up, didn't make it that far but once I bring a saw I am sure I can make it farther. I will also bring some flagging tape to try and make the trail more obvious. I love the 20 mile area in the summer and fall, I hope we get more snow there so we can make it farther back.
    That wasn't us that cleared the trail. The forest service came in behind you cleared the trail and then came back out right as we were coming in. They said they could hear you guys riding back there but never saw you.

Oh okay I see. They did make things a lot easier on the way back. We at least made a good cummins lineup at the parking area!
    I am hoping this warm weather doesn't ruin riding this weekend, any reports on how passable the swamps are?