Thread: Lightening up a Browning A-bolt? Looking for ideas

Default Lightening up a Browning A-bolt? Looking for ideas

I have a Browning A-bolt in 7mm-08 with a wood stock and am considering trying to lighten up the rifle. Any guidance out there on where to get a stock (McMillan?). what kind of weight saving might I get by going this route and what is the cost?

Any other advice or experience is appreciated.

Browning classic or hunter right at 2lbs. http://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-...ubnav=branch2g
    Have you considered skeletonizing the bolt handle and fluting barrel and bolt?
    I personally don't have the need for a super-light rifle, but it is amazing how some of these guys are able to build them less than 5lbs.
    BEE

You could also take the barrel down to 18" or so and nearly save a pound.

Have Christensen Arms turn the barrel down and then they wrap it with carbon fiber for support, works great.

How much does the carbon/turn cost?

I don't what to cut or turn the barrel as it has the BOSS system and very accurate.

First thing I would do to lighten that Browning is to post this topic somewhere other than the classifieds...
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by peaceman View Post
    I have a Browning A-bolt in 7mm-08 with a wood stock and am considering trying to lighten up the rifle. Any guidance out there on where to get a stock (McMillan?). what kind of weight saving might I get by going this route and what is the cost?

Any other advice or experience is appreciated.
    What is the weight of your rifle? What is the weight that you'd like to make?

FWIW, I think balance is more essential than absolute weight. I've rifles that are 8 pounds, ready-to-go, but they balance so well that they "feel" lighter.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I don't what to cut or turn the barrel as it has the BOSS system and very accurate.
    drop the boss crap and you'll probably drop over 10 oz right there. A light rifle doesn't need it, better yet........no rifle needs the boss.

Take the scope off and mount it in a Tikka T3. Then sell the Browning. You would probably save money.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Yeah, it might weigh a little bit, but the BOSS does work. Shrunk the groups considerably to where factory ammo touches holes, and its a threaded muzzle break. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Yeah, it might weigh a little bit, but the BOSS does work. Shrunk the groups considerably to where factory ammo touches holes, and its a threaded muzzle break. Don't knock it until you've tried it.
    Without giving specific weights it's hard to know if you can cut enough weight to make it worthwhile. Depending upon the way you've outfitted our rifle it's maybe possible to cut a pound or more off your rifle. A McMillan stock using Edge fill should weigh around 22-24 oz or said another way, and should save you 10+ oz over a factory handle. If you're using steel rings and bases you can gain 2-3 ounces by using Talley Lightweights and there are numerous scopes that come in around 12 oz which may save you a tad more.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Give them a call Christensen Arms 888-517-8855, I have talked to them at the SCI convconvention RENO.

BOSS on a 7mm-08

First off I will tell you I have never got to go on a sheep hunt. I do enjoy reading this post, but can not understand how just a few ounces can make that much difference. It amazes me what some will pay to save only a few ounces.

But lighter boots.

I took my blued .300 Abolt with a boss on it last year. I won't take it again. It is a gold medallian and I have a gun sock (slip on protective cover). If I remember right, it weighed in at 10 pounds with a full mag. I also took my .338 xbolt. My wife carried the xbolt. It was better. I bought a .270 WSM in xbolt to sheep hunt with instead of the abolt.

trade the stock out for a lighter stock. I do agree that you should not need the boss with a small caliber rifle. My 338 doesn't have it and it shoots fine and my wife doesn't notice the kick when shooting at an animal - and she bench shoots it too.

I don't think that there is a lot that you can do cheaply to make it lighter.

Bell & Carlson sells the stock they put on the Ti Mountain ABolts for a good price - the factory BOSS doesn't need to be "cut off" ! just take it off and wrap some tape around the threads - lightweight mounts (either Talley or Dednutz) Leupold scope - that's about it for an ABolt - T3 Tikka lighter out of the box and AT LEAST as good a shooter, most likely better shooter - Kimber 84L or a Savage Lightweight Hunter and don't worry about it any more

Peaceman
    What everyone is telling you is with the cost of doing anything to make your gun lighter you could buy one of the lightweight factoryís for and will perform as well as the one you have now. Why put 5-8 hundred dollars into an $800-900 gun. It will not increase the value of that gun to match what you put in. For 5-800 you can buy a new low end light weight and have 2 guns that valued total dollares spent.(that being said I donít consider a T3 low end, just lower dollar)