Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Light Weight Tarp While In the Field

  1. #1
    Member kobuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    215

    Default Light Weight Tarp While In the Field

    I am looking for a suggestion for a light weight tarp or something to carry in the field so when it's raining you can get out of the weather. In the past I have used a regular tarp when I was around a four wheeler. There has to be something better and lighter when you are back packing for the day. I was thinking of visquine or even a poncho type thing maybe and even a small piece of closed cell pad to sit on. It seems like the ground is always pretty wet even if it hasn't rained for a while. Something light would be nice and also needs to be rainproof. We have a spring bear hunt coming up and I think there will be a lot of glassing and if I know Kodiak a lot of rain also. Might as well be comfortable! Thanks for you help.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    267

    Default

    I usually use a contractor trash bag to sit on cause that also has other uses when hunting. For a tarp, I recommend a small nylon type tarp. They are quite a bit more expensive than blue tarps but very light. You will want to spray it with camp dry before ou leave home.

  3. #3
    Member ramhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    699

    Default

    I have a very light Golite tarp I always packed while sheep and goat hunting, it weight only ozs and packs down small, My son and I stayed/napped under it during a rain/snow down pour for 4 hours while waiting for five rams to move into a spot that we could make a stalk on them.
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

  4. #4
    Member GDinAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    232

    Default

    I was wondering what everyone else was doing as well, for the same reason, as I have a spring bear hunt here on Kodiak as well. I have heard good things about the integral Designs Siltarp 2 it is 8 x 10 and weighs 13 oz, but cost $125. Seems like there would be a lower cost alternative with all the great materials out there. Looking forward to everyone's thoughts. Sure would be nice to stay dry while glassing and cooking and also be able to keep your hide dry especially on a day like today when it is blowing thirty plus right now and raining sideways.

  5. #5
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Bearpaw designs has a few sizes of their silnylon tarps. They have tie out loops sewn in so that you can set it up into various shapes.

  6. #6
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    I was wondering what everyone else was doing as well, for the same reason, as I have a spring bear hunt here on Kodiak as well. I have heard good things about the integral Designs Siltarp 2 it is 8 x 10 and weighs 13 oz, but cost $125. Seems like there would be a lower cost alternative with all the great materials out there. Looking forward to everyone's thoughts. Sure would be nice to stay dry while glassing and cooking and also be able to keep your hide dry especially on a day like today when it is blowing thirty plus right now and raining sideways.

    Got the same one in multi-cam, good to keep handy to throw over you and your partner as planes fly over, avoiding detection.....
    Granite Gear makes a lighter one similar to Sil tarp but the colors and the price really stands out.

  7. #7
    Member GDinAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    232

    Default

    I really like all the guy out points on the Bearpaw and its a little a cheaper. The Granite gear tarp definitely stands out but it is even more expensive and heavier.... Thanks for the info.

  8. #8

    Default

    Accidentally bought two of these instead of one and just never sent it back. Its brand new never used.

    7 oz and its 8'X5' roughly.

    I like the one I did use, just don't see the need for 2.

    http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx

    Selling for $50 instead of the listed $60 plus save you shipping costs.

  9. #9
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    One of the guides around the wasilla area, (Bear) suggested to me to use a space blanket, not one of the cheapo flimsy ones you buy for 50 cents. But a heavier duty one that is more like a tarp. It was really good advice, because when we flew into the TMA last year we used the shiny side as a marker for the airplane to see us, we used it to drape over the tent when the rain fell to help keep it waterproof, as well as using it to keep our gear dry. I used it on kodiak to keep my meat clean when I quartered my deer out, and it could have been used in case of an emergency as a shelter, or a blanket. This ended up being one of the best things I threw into my pack, and I'm sold on carrying one from now on.

    http://www.rei.com/product/407106/sp...eather-blanket
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  10. #10
    Member tustumena_lake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    tustumena & kasilof
    Posts
    899

    Default

    My theory is you should always carry a lightweight kit especially if you go solo a lot in case you get injured and can't move. So be thinking lightweight shelter, sleeping bag and pad with a little food and water. Just the tarp won't do.

    But my lightweight tarp is a six moons wild oasis.

  11. #11
    Member Antleridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southeast Alaska
    Posts
    395

    Default

    I second the tarp DuckSlayer refers to - it has many uses and I always have it with me. Also, check out the Kifaru ParaTarp - a nice item to have if stuck out overnight.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Juneau, AK
    Posts
    71

    Default

    checkout bushcraft outfitters

  13. #13
    Member kobuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    215

    Default

    I sent you a PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Accidentally bought two of these instead of one and just never sent it back. Its brand new never used.

    7 oz and its 8'X5' roughly.

    I like the one I did use, just don't see the need for 2.

    http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx

    Selling for $50 instead of the listed $60 plus save you shipping costs.

  14. #14
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    I hope you didnt buy that..being military and all..they hand those out like candy..

    Good solid advice though Tom. Great tool no doubt.

    Dont forget to check out
    http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents_tarps/tarps.html




    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    One of the guides around the wasilla area, (Bear) suggested to me to use a space blanket, not one of the cheapo flimsy ones you buy for 50 cents. But a heavier duty one that is more like a tarp. It was really good advice, because when we flew into the TMA last year we used the shiny side as a marker for the airplane to see us, we used it to drape over the tent when the rain fell to help keep it waterproof, as well as using it to keep our gear dry. I used it on kodiak to keep my meat clean when I quartered my deer out, and it could have been used in case of an emergency as a shelter, or a blanket. This ended up being one of the best things I threw into my pack, and I'm sold on carrying one from now on.

    http://www.rei.com/product/407106/sp...eather-blanket
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  15. #15
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Fred meyer has blue tarps, I get the brown on one side and camo on the other, were on sale last fall-2 for $5! They are thin, not sure on weight, but they fit in my barneys hunters top flap where I keep the pack fly too. Use all the time while hunting, even if not in the mtns. Surely can't be more than a pound! Believe they are 8x10, but might be 6x8', actually that sounds better, 6x8'. Most tents don't have a big enough vestibule and I always put the two packs on the tarp, then fold the other half over the top and tuck under, packs always dry. Plus when mtn hunting, put water underneath and prevents from freezing! Plus at $5, or less on sale, you can afford to throw away, when they get holy, or find another use for them and take a new one. Mine has lasted a few years tho. Plus when towing the BOB trailer for hunts, I cover the pack with it to prevent mud, snow and rain from soaking gear, and gunk from mtn bike tires.

  16. #16
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    I picked up the Kifaru paratarp last year, but it arrived after sheep season and I haven't put it through its paces yes. Stid2677 recommended it, though, and I put a lot of weight on the guy's experience.

  17. #17
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    I was wondering what everyone else was doing as well, for the same reason, as I have a spring bear hunt here on Kodiak as well. I have heard good things about the integral Designs Siltarp 2 it is 8 x 10 and weighs 13 oz, but cost $125. Seems like there would be a lower cost alternative with all the great materials out there. Looking forward to everyone's thoughts. Sure would be nice to stay dry while glassing and cooking and also be able to keep your hide dry especially on a day like today when it is blowing thirty plus right now and raining sideways.

    Just weighed a new one of mine, 16oz in packaging, 15.5oz out of packaging. This was using a food scale that goes to over a pound. Best part is, I paid $2.50 for mine! 2oz heavier and y'all can do the math! But I am honestly not a hard core mtn hunter. Granted tho we did get a goat and 3 deer on kodiak! My joints are beggin me to spend the $$$$ to go lighter, so is ak_lanche

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    One of the guides around the wasilla area, (Bear) suggested to me to use a space blanket, not one of the cheapo flimsy ones you buy for 50 cents. But a heavier duty one that is more like a tarp. It was really good advice, because when we flew into the TMA last year we used the shiny side as a marker for the airplane to see us, we used it to drape over the tent when the rain fell to help keep it waterproof, as well as using it to keep our gear dry. I used it on kodiak to keep my meat clean when I quartered my deer out, and it could have been used in case of an emergency as a shelter, or a blanket. This ended up being one of the best things I threw into my pack, and I'm sold on carrying one from now on.

    http://www.rei.com/product/407106/sp...eather-blanket
    Glad it worked out for ya... I love mine and love the benefit of all the uses including being an emergency space blanket... Certainly one of the few things that never leave my pack...

  19. #19
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    Maybe they hand them out to you Army guys, us Air Force guys don't get squat except for a reflector belt!

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    I hope you didnt buy that..being military and all..they hand those out like candy..

    Good solid advice though Tom. Great tool no doubt.

    Dont forget to check out
    http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents_tarps/tarps.html
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  20. #20
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Maybe they hand them out to you Army guys, us Air Force guys don't get squat except for a reflector belt!

    It doesn't rain behind the computer!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •