Thread: moving north, fishing advice

Default moving north, fishing advice

Im retiring from the military this summer and moving back to Eagle River. Ill be driving the Alaska Canadian Highway for the third time and will attempt some fishing along the way. I will be traveling during the first week/week and a half of July and thought of stopping at the Klutina for Salmon. Ill be pulling a 30ft travel trailer so where ever I go Im hoping for a decent campsite. If time and money permits, I may try to make it to Valdez for some open water fishing.

If there are any places along the way that may be good Salmon/Halibut/Cod fishing spots, Im open to suggestions.

Anyone know about fishing licenses in Canada? Do you need a different license for each Territory/Province?

Thank in advance for your replies.

As I remember each territory/province requiers a different fishing license. Valdez will have the Pink salmon by the time you get there. By mid July the Kenai River will have hot Sockeye fishing. usually the larger Halibut and Ling cod are caught in July/August. remember Seward for Silvers from about the 10th of Jul

Thanks for your service and wisheing you a well deserved retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerheave View Post
    Im retiring from the military this summer and moving back to Eagle River. Ill be driving the Alaska Canadian Highway for the third time and will attempt some fishing along the way. I will be traveling during the first week/week and a half of July and thought of stopping at the Klutina for Salmon. Ill be pulling a 30ft travel trailer so where ever I go Im hoping for a decent campsite. If time and money permits, I may try to make it to Valdez for some open water fishing.

If there are any places along the way that may be good Salmon/Halibut/Cod fishing spots, Im open to suggestions.

Anyone know about fishing licenses in Canada? Do you need a different license for each Territory/Province?

Thank in advance for your replies.
    Yes, you most definitely need to buy a fishing license in each territory or province in Canada you pass through. I still have all of mine from 1972. We left Baltimore after Sept 1 that year, so tourist season was over and done. had great camping, and fantastic grayling fishing at several spots along the way. Enjoy..

many of the rivers along the way in canada have great fishing. we caught grayling and pike in many places along the alcan. the cassiar highway is a bit rougher but it has some better trout fishing.

as for alaska. july is good for sockeyes on the klutina but the kenai is phenominal. the pink salmon will be thick in valdez in july. my wife and i go there on the 12-15th every year. when they are fresh its like trout fishing on acid! i think she caught ten in twenty minutes last time

Ranger,
    I'll be 2 months ahead of you with my fifth wheel so I'll keep you posted to the road conditions (North Dakota to Tok). As for fishing, I'm clueless and collecting suggestions as they filter through the forum.

Alaska residents can purchase a Yukon fishing license at the resident rate. Saves you $20.

http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/hunting-fis...nglicences.php
    * Alaska residents must produce a current Alaska Resident Sport Fishing Licence and government-issued photo identification to qualify for this rate.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.