Thread: Meat Processing in Anchorage

Default Meat Processing in Anchorage

So we have ran into a small problem with our Caribou. We are looking for a processor to take it to but we didnt know that it had to be skinned out. I would rather take it in and pay a little extra and have a processor skin it and butcher it for me. Does anyone know if there is any processors in the area that will do this work? Most i have found want it quartered.

Call Glenn's Wild Game Processing at 350-5653. I'm not sure if he processes game in the winter, but if so, he might be one willing to do so. That said, some processors might be leery due to the effect that leaving an animal whole can have on the meat quality. Did you at least remove the guts in the field?

Your other option is to simply skin it and quarter it. It's really not a very difficult thing to do, even for beginners.

Thumbs up for Glenn's! Did good stuff for me last year.

Yea we called glenns and he said he will only take them if they are skinned and quartererd. Im guessing that is the thing up here, so now i know better for next one we get.

Most meat processors up here are not slaughter houses that have dirty areas for skinning and then clean areas for processing.

You can call pioneer in the valley and ask if they will skin it, but it's doubtful.

Default just skin it

I don't mean to be insensitive, but what is the trouble?

You could have just skinned it faster than it takes to call around and find someone that will do it for you. If you have no knowledge how to do it, I'm pretty sure someone here would offer to drop by and skin it for/with you if you asked.

I think the issue may be more of the fact it's whole and frozen.

You'll have to get it hung in a garage to thaw, throw down a tarp and a tote under to catch everything.

If you're in Wasilla bring it by I'll give you a hand.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I think the issue may be more of the fact it's whole and frozen.
    Oops, didn't think of that. Good point.

I've just never see or heard of before freezing an animal before skinning. The way I was taught, fur never belongs in a freezer, and the hide gets gone as soon as cleanliness concerns allow; immediately is usually best to help with cooling the meat quickly. But if I have to drag an animal out of the field I'll leave the skin on if temps allow, to protect the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Oops, didn't think of that. Good point.

I've just never see or heard of before freezing an animal before skinning. The way I was taught, fur never belongs in a freezer, and the hide gets gone as soon as cleanliness concerns allow; immediately is usually best to help with cooling the meat quickly. But if I have to drag an animal out of the field I'll leave the skin on if temps allow, to protect the meat.
    These guys were up north of Chicken and hauled them out whole.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Whole? Not gutted?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Whole? Not gutted?
    Seriously?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

You guys get squared away?

Standing offer at my place to get em thawed and quartered.

We got the Caribou taken care if. We know what we are doing with the animals and not out there with no clue. This is the first big game that we have killed in Alaska and didnt know that it had to be skinned before being taken to the processor. We are used to the lower 48 when you kill a deer you take it to them gutted, (yes we did gut them up there) to the processor and they skin them and process them. They were partially frozen but we hung them in the garage and got them taken care if. We learned alot on this trip and the know better for next year. Thanks TWB for the offer but we got it taken care of.

Sounds good. Kudos by the way for kickin ass on a tough hunt.