Thread: Ivishak River Fishing Flies

Default Ivishak River Fishing Flies

While we are on the topic of the Ivishak, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on flies for the Ivishak for the sea-run dollies? I was thinking Dolly Lahmas and ESLs would be my first choice. Any other patterns that should definitely go in the fly box? For grayling I always bring wooly buggers, a wide variety of dry fly and nymph patterns, and some small forage fish patterns.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for any info.

I havent fished much above the Yukon for Dollies are Grayling, but I have always had good luck with gold beaded head nymphs. Good question though, I will be headed up there this Aug and will be sure to post a very nice fishing report.

ESLs and dolly lahmas will work just fine, or anything along those lines. If you go late enough in August they'll be fairly aggressive as they're getting ready to spawn. I know they were attacking anything that I threw at 'em that was flashy. Just look in the tail end of any of the pools, can't miss all the fish stacked up in that super clear water. Very fun fishing that time of year.

I have not fished this river, but have spent a fair amount of time chasing big dollies. Got my biggest dolly on a fly (14 pounds) on this fly from Alaska Fly Fishing Goods. Fish it deep as you can. I like a Scientific Anglers Type III or IV 'wet tip' fly line myself. Graduated sink tip length in relationship to fly line weight, seems the 8 wt version is about an 8-10' sink tip. Should be pretty good for the Ivishak. Big fish on the bottom, dinks above. The biggest and deepest pools that have a rock wall or out cropping adjacent to it should be fished hard. Fish the deepest sections and right up along the wall. In addition to the fly below, take anything orange if fishing in the fall which I presume you are. Battle Creek Special, Polar Shrimp, Clouser, etc.. Pink (light pink or hot) can be the ticket at times. Been experimenting with some scantly tied pink clouser's on last few trips, works very well. While pink and orange have a spot in my fly box, a variation of the ESL always seems to be my top producer. Boringly effective at times you might say. Pic of one of my dolly fly boxes below to give you an idea of my preferences.

Egg Hareball Leech- purple/shell pink #2

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

Below is a fly I have used on the Upper Kenai and a float this past Sept in SW on the Kwethluk. I am 100% positive it will slay the dollies. Very durable fly as well. Another offering from Alaska Fly Fishing Goods called 'the sleech'. Comes in a few different colors, I like this one myself.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

-Dan

Thanks for the tips and advice you guys!

Sound advice from Dan. Here are a couple pictures of those rock walls that Dan is referring to. You'll find fish everytime you come to spots like these, as well as other areas.

Here's an example of the tail end of the pools where I found the more active fish.

Those pictures makes me want to email Randy Quincy

I don't think Randy can't get you into the mountains Dan. I don't believe he has a permit for ANWR. Besides that is a long, long way to run an airboat. You'll need to fly in and float out.

This is a very good thread with very good teaser photos, which i have now placed on my desktop at work. I cant wait to get up there and have some fun, and very good info on flies and lures to use. And LongKJ I am worried Bushwacked Jack might here your snoring from ten miles down the river, after u get a little bourbon in you...

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    I don't think Randy can't get you into the mountains Dan. I don't believe he has a permit for ANWR. Besides that is a long, long way to run an airboat. You'll need to fly in and float out.

He can run 35-40 miles up from the Haul Road. Wouldn't make a very long float trip, but it would be a great week of dolly fishing I suspect. Problem is price for the jet boat is more than we pay in bush fees for most float trips. Researched this trip a few years back, but just wasn't cost effective (from a fly fishing perspective) given the logistics and accessible river mileage. Still, the pictures posted above makes me want to pursue it.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    This is a very good thread with very good teaser photos,

Here are a few more. Not from the Ivishak, or any other river that will be named...

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    Sound advice from Dan. Here are a couple pictures of those rock walls that Dan is referring to. You'll find fish everytime you come to spots like these, as well as other areas.

Here's an example of the tail end of the pools where I found the more active fish.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Here are a few more. Not from the Ivishak, or any other river that will be named...

-Dan
    You guys are killing me with those pictures. Dan is that picture of the hole you took from the air filled with dollies or salmon? If those are all dollies that is unbelievable. That looks like a bunch of reds stacked up in that hole. I've never seen anything like that before. I also find it remarkable how similar the two different rivers are, considering the fact they are in different areas.

Great photos! I too love the thrill of catching sea run dollies, which in my opinion are the most beautiful fish Alaska has to offer, especially when the colors are vibrant in the fall. On those arctic rivers the bead head nymphs are the ticket. If you get a bead head poxyback copper john in green and or red, with rubber legs, you will not be disappointed. The grayling love em too. Also carry some black bead head wooly buggers for some variety.
    Attachment 68829

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Dan is that picture of the hole you took from the air filled with dollies or salmon? If those are all dollies that is unbelievable.

Dollies

Been talking with a few ADFG bios for years and the info obtained has helped guide my trip selection for dolly fishing. The picture above you referred to and the one below were from mid September helicopter fly overs assessing dolly runs. A picture is worth a 1,000 words (and thousands of fish).