Thread: Metal Woodhauling Flatsled

Default Metal Woodhauling Flatsled

Here are a couple of pics of a metal wood hauling flat-sled that a local built out of 2 inch square stock metal. The sled is 36 inches wide by 12 feet long and is 10 inches high. A lot of men here in the village use these type of metal sleds for hauling dry black spruce logs. One of these days I would like to find an aluminum welder and have him make me an aluminum one just like my metal sled that is pictured.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sled pictures 016.jpg one last picture so you can see how the curve in the runner was made.

Looks great. Heavy Duty. We have a few I-Beam aluminum sleds in the village here of similar design. This time of year on estab lished trails these work well. I like the positioning of your skeg(s). Have you used the sled much? If so how does it pull. I might suggest some diagonals or at least a cross piece on your hitch. It looks as though it is solid rod but additional support will reduce the chance of tweaking or bending something on the hitch. Just my thoughts. Nice design.
    Wherever you go ....there you are.

Yes the tow-bar does needs some improvement. A cross-piece and one of them spring connections to help reduce the jolts on the snowmachine. I just bought this sled last week from a friend who was moving to another region. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but my soninlaw did, he cut me a load of spruce logs last week and said the sled pulled nice and carried the load well due to it's 12 ft length. Most wood haulers in town told me the longer metal sleds are best. I have built my own wood sleds for 30 + years and this is my first metal sled. Originally I was doing some research on building an aluminum I beam sled but never got to it. I would really like to see some pics of the aluminum I beams sleds you spoke about in your post. Please post some pics. Thanks.

I like this design, I too had one welded up like this. mine is 8 ft long x 2ft wide. with the legs, it's about 3.5 ft wide.

Along with the hitch suggestion if you cut some small sharp notches in the channel cross pieces on the top it would lessen the chance for any movement of the logs either from side to side but also front to back. Looks like it is hell for stout nice sled.