Thread: So I have a Shrimping question.....

Default So I have a Shrimping question.....

So if I have my boat with my family, I know we can only have 5 pots.....and my buddy and his family in his boat camping with us can have 5 pots....the question I have is that he doesn't have a puller, if we are rafted up together can I pull his pots???

As long as you don't have more than 5 pots on the boat

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Directly from the regs:
    No more than 5 pots per person or per vessel may be fished.
    I believe that you pulling them constitutes "fishing". I believe that this has been discussed before and someone said that as long as you run the line over the other boat so that the pots are hauled into their boat, you would be fine. A quick call to F & G would answer your question.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I was over in Wells Bay last spring and there was a Cordova based commercial boat there. He was using his hydraulics to pull pots, and I think was not commercially fishing, but it looked like he was fishing 15 pots, and it looked like they were all on one string. The catch is that he had two other boats rafted to him as he was fishing. Not sure if it was legal or not, but the boats were all rafted together the whole time he was setting and retrieving the pots. The boats tied to him were aluminum, something like Hewes 22's.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I was over in Wells Bay last spring and there was a Cordova based commercial boat there. He was using his hydraulics to pull pots, and I think was not commercially fishing, but it looked like he was fishing 15 pots, and it looked like they were all on one string. The catch is that he had two other boats rafted to him as he was fishing. Not sure if it was legal or not, but the boats were all rafted together the whole time he was setting and retrieving the pots. The boats tied to him were aluminum, something like Hewes 22's.
    That area wasn't open to commercial shrimping last year and i bet a ticket would of been in order for the 3 muskateers if a fish cop would of saw them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I second the suggestion to check with F & G before doing this. It's probably ok if you transfer the pots to his boat immediately but who knows how the troopers would interpret it. Speaking of which, I spent a fair bit of time on the Sound last summer and never saw any fish cops outside of Whittier harbor. How often do you guys see them on the water?

Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    How often do you guys see them on the water?
    I have been boarded and checked at the south side of Knight Island.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I second the suggestion to check with F & G before doing this. It's probably ok if you transfer the pots to his boat immediately but who knows how the troopers would interpret it. Speaking of which, I spent a fair bit of time on the Sound last summer and never saw any fish cops outside of Whittier harbor. How often do you guys see them on the water?
    They gave plenty of tickets to the gillnetters. They like writing tickets for "fishing in closed waters" that translates into the guy was 1 or 2 minutes late getting the end of his net into the boat when the period closed !! chicken poop tickets in my opinion !!
    They once wanted to give me a ticket for helping another gillnetter get his net out of the water at the closing, i was all done and cleaned up when my buddy called me to help him so i hauled the other end of his net on to my boat to get it out of the water, the fish cops videoed us doing this then came over and took down our permit info, i asked what i did wrong and the fish cop says to me "you have to much net on your boat" guess he didn't get it wasn't mine even after watching my buddy wind it back onto his boat/reel. They had to go back to Cordova to have the Sargent review the tape, i never got a ticket guess the boss told them they didn't have a case.
    So the same may apply to hauling other folks pots for them but i'd think as long as its only one limit of pots on the boat and the owner is present what difference does it make ?? Just tell the cops his puller/arms gave out and your getting his gear back for them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

If you help him pull his pots with your boat he will be taking more shrimp home than if he pulled by hand......right?

I get some by hand pulling - it works, it's good excercise....it'll be even better if I buy a puller this year :-)

I'd check with the fishcops first.

Hmmm... Interesting. If you're fishing hook and line and you hook the fish but somebody else reels it in, it's the person who hooked the fish that caught it according to Fish & Game. Wonder who "hooked" those shrimp?

If your five pots are in the water "fishing", your boat cannot help your friends out. Think of your boat as the "fisherman". If your boat has deployed 5 of your pots and those pots are soaking, your boat cannot retrieve any other pots while yours are soaking. If your boat is not fishing your 5 pots, then you could run the scenario that you've mentioned.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I decline to answer that question on the grounds that it may encourage other people that want to try and get away with something...not suggesting YOU are trying to do that in any way.

Problems solved,I told him to just buy a puller, so he did yesterday.....John