Thread: Looking at moving to the interior...

Default Looking at moving to the interior...

Currently living in the Northern half of Maine, but as more and more people come in it gets harder and harder to maintain a subsistence lifestyle. I'm looking for advice/suggestions on areas of AK that would allow me to live quietly, primarily hunting/trapping/fishing. I do have a small regular income for gas, etc. Ideally would like to live in a small house/cabin, just me and my dog. don't need running water or anything fancy.

I'm wondering how accepting people in the interior are of newcomers.. I know when I moved here to this little fishing village in Maine years ago it was a bit "touch and go" until the locals figured out I didn't want to change anything...

Jeff

Very friendly to newcomers, esp. after you make it through your first winter.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyS View Post
    Currently living in the Northern half of Maine, but as more and more people come in it gets harder and harder to maintain a subsistence lifestyle. I'm looking for advice/suggestions on areas of AK that would allow me to live quietly, primarily hunting/trapping/fishing. I do have a small regular income for gas, etc. Ideally would like to live in a small house/cabin, just me and my dog. don't need running water or anything fancy.

I'm wondering how accepting people in the interior are of newcomers.. I know when I moved here to this little fishing village in Maine years ago it was a bit "touch and go" until the locals figured out I didn't want to change anything...

Jeff
    The challenges of being accepted in a very small community, until you get to know each other, is probably pretty universal regardless of latitude or longitude.

As far as living a subsistence lifestyle goes, I think you may be surprised at how much more difficult it would be here than there.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

[QUOTE=
    As far as living a subsistence lifestyle goes, I think you may be surprised at how much more difficult it would be here than there.[/QUOTE]

I wondered how that would be. I do have a regular income of about $1,000 per month to support myself in addition to what I can kill/catch. What's making things difficult here are the attitudes of people moving in for our "viewshed" as they call it. I've twice had deer hanging in my yard and had them cut down and covered in dirt by people who were offended by hunting... all while I was away for a few hours. Add to that the ever increasing regulation and taxation, and I am starting to question how long I will be able to live this way here. Another ever increasing issue is people from away who move in, buy up land, and post it. There are thousands and thousands of acres now closed to hunting and trapping that were traditionally available to us, but have been purchased by people who object to this lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyS View Post
    I wondered how that would be. I do have a regular income of about $1,000 per month to support myself in addition to what I can kill/catch. What's making things difficult here are the attitudes of people moving in for our "viewshed" as they call it. I've twice had deer hanging in my yard and had them cut down and covered in dirt by people who were offended by hunting... all while I was away for a few hours. Add to that the ever increasing regulation and taxation, and I am starting to question how long I will be able to live this way here. Another ever increasing issue is people from away who move in, buy up land, and post it. There are thousands and thousands of acres now closed to hunting and trapping that were traditionally available to us, but have been purchased by people who object to this lifestyle.
    Assuming I was otherwise completely debt free, there are places I could survive reasonably comfortably in the L-48 on $1K/mo., but it would be far more difficult to pull that off here. As far as being able to supplement with catch/kill, that's unreliable and can not be counted upon. We have hunting seasons and strict regulations just like anywhere else, and the density of available game is on average much lower than many places in L-48. Climate here makes it challenging and expensive to garden as well... If/when I retire in a few years, I'm guessing I'll have $1K/mo as well, and I can't see how I'll be able to stay here on that amount.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Western Montana and Northern Idaho would offer you what you are looking for.