Thread: Are there whitefish in Big Lake?

Default Are there whitefish in Big Lake?

Saw a weird looking fish in the camera at about 9pm the other night while fishing for burbot and was wondering if Big Lake had whitefish in it. If it was a whitefish the thing was huge twice as big as the 22 inch char i caught earlier looked in the camera. At first I was thinking I saw a sturgeon or a huge sucker, but its anal fin was square not round like a suckers would be. It showed up twice that night first swam over and away from the camera (so I got a really good look at its under side no markings looked like it was two tone gray and with white belly and had a long face) and the second time came in briefly to my tube jig then turned away. Any idea to what I saw. Maybe it would be good time to hook up the Go Pro when I go out.

Sounds like a burbot. Got a picture?

No wasn't a burbot that was my target fish I know what they look like in the camera. This thing just came cruising in like a pike barely moving its tail fin as it was swimming. Looked online at some pics and this thing really looked like a Sheefish and it was BIG. I know we don't have these down here in the lakes down here they are suppose more a big river fish.

The ice fishing angler book says whitefish are in there. I never heard of anybody ever catching them, but it wouldn't surprise me. If it looked kind of like a sheefish then it probably was a whitefish. I have seen whitefish in different places around the state like the Deshka River and the Gulkana River. One time I was pike spearing up at Long Lake by Willow and a buddy of mine and I saw something similar to what you describe.

sounds like the illiamna lake monster is migrating!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I think I'll give River Monsters a call and see if that guy can't hook into it. Just have to tell him that the thing has been eating pets around the lake. Or maybe it's just the state record whitefish.

Nope. Sorry. That thing is a white sturgeon. Not a whitefish.

I am pretty sure a type of sucker, not sure what type but I have seen them in the summer also, they are big.

the size don't agree about a sucker, or white fish , don't think small it was big , livin907 said it was twice the size of his 22 inch char, suckers are about 20 inches an white fish 20 inch is big so what is left ???????????????????

well yesterday while fishing at burnt point we had a char cruise by the camera that was close to 30 inches but he oddly had zero collar and was definatly a char dout the lack of color would cause it to be miss judged and for suckers the ones i see in big lake are only about 20 inches as said all though this summer in loberg lake we foud some suckers that had to be a differant kind due to the fact they looked like 40 lb kings and yes i know its hard to believe but they are there if you fallow the sandy bottom on the right side you can see the logs on the bottom swimming and they would fallow our power bait but not bite so realy have no total conframation. my thought being though is that fish and game had to have planted them there and it is a very dirty lake i would asume due to the gravel pit and big lake is full of trash as im sure any one knows so maybe they put some super trash eaters in there. just found a 70's snowmobile at the bottom of the north shore side of the big island with the islander. and i do know as well there is a great chance of white fish but they are of the smaller of the group around 20 inches ive caught one fishing rainbows at the caulvert on meadow creek small hole but couple nice rainbows every time

There are whitefish in crosswind and lake Louise system that I've seen that were well over 24". 10 lb whitefish are not uncommon. Dunno bout big lake whitefish but i know they are in the little su....but there are some suckers in big lake that could go 24" or so. Long lake in sutton also has very large suckers. A lot of the fish I catch in big lake are often diseased or sickly looking.

Release Lake Trout

No, there are no stinking fish is any part of big lake.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    There are whitefish in crosswind and lake Louise system that I've seen that were well over 24". 10 lb whitefish are not uncommon. Dunno bout big lake whitefish but i know they are in the little su....but there are some suckers in big lake that could go 24" or so. Long lake in sutton also has very large suckers. A lot of the fish I catch in big lake are often diseased or sickly looking.
    Yuk!! Never fished big lake and now never will...diseased!!

Could it have been an old half rotted silver salmon? We've caught a few brick red ones out of Big Lake in the winter. But I guess the description doesn't match other than possible size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

may i ask livin907 what kinda cam you were useing and maybe a general location. wondering camera model just to get a clarity idea. i just got back from big lake this morning with pretty good sucsess had 2 char come in with in half hour caught the smaller of the two and he went 28, the big one took up the entire screen momentarily, and then i snaged a log on the bottom and some how got it to the top but it created a huge mud mess in the water so i threw my line back in again and waited for the mud to clear figured it would bring in something. yep sure did there was a pike with in 6 inches of my lure when it cleared he was 36 inches or more and super fat. he pushed back and came and looked into my camera for a good minute and then backed away and all of the sudden the camera went black with flashes and my scooper i use to hold the camera to the rite depth was going nuts so i pulled lightly all the way to the top of the hole before it came out and i was definatly not liping the thing kinda bumbed. but it does sound pretty posative to me what you seen was a pike after reading what you said again. im curious as well to anyone who uses a camera do any of you have large char or pike go for your camera rather then your bait often as this has to be the 20th time its happend to me but the only one to hang on that long.