Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninilchik charter??

Default Ninilchik charter??

Anyone heard of or used Discover Alaskan Adventures? wife and I are taking a halibut charter in July with them. They had a buy one get one free deal going. Any opinions on them good or bad?

I have never heard of them, but that doesn't mean a thing.
    I do always question why folks ask about a charter they have already booked, though..... It is what it is, and if you wanted the opinions of others the time is past.
    Ask first.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    I have never heard of them, but that doesn't mean a thing.
    I do always question why folks ask about a charter they have already booked, though..... It is what it is, and if you wanted the opinions of others the time is past.
    Ask first.
    You can book a charter to get guaranteed a spot and always cancel. Not like I paid for it already.

Like Dave, I've not heard of them and can't speak to the quality of their operation. That said, I'd raise an eyebrow at any charter that needs to offer a deal in July. Most reputable charters are booked solid in July months in advance at the full rate. It's the busiest month of the year, so generally most charters don't need to offer sale prices like they might in the shoulder season (May and September, for example). That said, if they're a new business, perhaps it makes sense for them to do some marketing to build their clientele. I know that at least one charter last year was doing 2-for-1 groupon deals that left a lot of people feeling disappointed. I don't recall the name, but basically they raced out and put people on two small fish as quickly as possible so that they could turn two or more trips per day. It was really the only way to make the finances pencil out when they were selling their trips for so little.

I'm all about a deal in the off-season, but I'd be suspicious of one in July.

Well as I am hoping that they are not a struggling company or they are trying to get more trips buy putting out non quality and faster turn arounds. It looks like they were established in 2006. I imagine if they were worth the money people would have heard of them. That being said though, they claim on their website that they fish until everyone catches their limit unless the tide gets to the point that it is unsafe. Here is a link to their website http://www.discoverakadv.com kind of wander what i should do now. Pay a cheap price and risk it or go with someone that is good and pay $600.00. Anyone have any suggestions in who to use whether in homer or around there? Love to go with a great guide regardless of price.

Quote Originally Posted by ccooper88 View Post
    Well as I am hoping that they are not a struggling company or they are trying to get more trips buy putting out non quality and faster turn arounds. It looks like they were established in 2006. I imagine if they were worth the money people would have heard of them. That being said though, they claim on their website that they fish until everyone catches their limit unless the tide gets to the point that it is unsafe. Here is a link to their website http://www.discoverakadv.com kind of wander what i should do now. Pay a cheap price and risk it or go with someone that is good and pay $600.00. Anyone have any suggestions in who to use whether in homer or around there? Love to go with a great guide regardless of price.
    Sorry for the misspelled words, stupid iPhone predictive text.

I don't know about Discovery but JJ Smart Charters does a great job and they have a nice camp ground in Ninilchik. John and Joan Smart are very fun.

There are several charters in Ninilchik that consistently get great reviews on this forum from Alaska residents who are likely far more demanding than you are. I would stick with what the locals say in any case.
    I can't imagine how anyone can discount like that and stay above water for very long.

With that said, you never know, it might just be the best deal in Alaska!!

"they claim on their website that they fish until everyone catches their limit unless the tide gets to the point that it is unsafe."

I'm not a charter operation, just own my own boat. I have been one one charter with a group of friends and if it would have lasted 6 to 7 hours we would have caught nothing over 10 pounds and only had about 4 hours of fishing. Not sure where you found this quote on their web site, but a quick search on the Halibut Fishing link say limit unless the current makes it impossible to keep the bait on the bottom. I'm a little suspicious of this as there are options to continue fishing even when the tide is running strong. They say 6 to 7 hours is a normal trip. Looks to me like they are running out to a little chicken hole, catching you two small fish and running back in because the tide has started moving. Ask why they wouldn't put more weight on or drift over the spots with the tide.

Just my two cents...you ultimatly choose and have to accept what you get. Remember, like everything else, you get what you pay for.
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    I don't know about Discovery but JJ Smart Charters does a great job and they have a nice camp ground in Ninilchik. John and Joan Smart are very fun.
    A second from us! Great hosts..

You can book a charter to get guaranteed a spot and always cancel. Not like I paid for it already.
    lots of good charters in deep creek/ninilchik but this above quote just dont sit right with me.. People rely on bookings for thier livelyhood and to simply hold a spot on the off chance you are going is BS.. That is a slot they can fill with someone who actually wants it.. Instead of fishing around wasting peoples time do your homework first then book... people like you are the reason charters have to require non refundable deposits....

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    lots of good charters in deep creek/ninilchik but this above quote just dont sit right with me.. People rely on bookings for thier livelyhood and to simply hold a spot on the off chance you are going is BS.. That is a slot they can fill with someone who actually wants it.. Instead of fishing around wasting peoples time do your homework first then book... people like you are the reason charters have to require non refundable deposits....
    thanks everyone for the advice...Bear it would be different if it wasn't 2 for 1. (was a groupon, didn't want to miss out). I agree with your statement, and if i could have found info prior to booking i would have, (wouldn't need this posting). But also realize I am from Oklahoma and if I am going to go on a trip to AK, I am going to cover all my bases as well as question everything i book since everyone and their brother has a charter business. But i cant wait to get up there and then try and find some charter last minute. If i am wasting your time, don't feel obligated to post something.

Everyone else I appreciate the info!

thanks everyone for the advice...Bear it would be different if it wasn't 2 for 1. (was a groupon, didn't want to miss out). I agree with your statement, and if i could have found info prior to booking i would have, (wouldn't need this posting). But also realize I am from Oklahoma and if I am going to go on a trip to AK, I am going to cover all my bases as well as question everything i book since everyone and their brother has a charter business. But i cant wait to get up there and then try and find some charter last minute. If i am wasting your time, don't feel obligated to post something.

Everyone else I appreciate the info!

I hear ya and can see your side. Certainly not wasting my time just pointing out how a charter might feel gettin bookings canceled. I honestly do wish you have a great trip though...

Dude, if you are coming all the way from OK, book with a known quantity, don't do it on the cheap.

I've fished several charters out of Ninilchik over the years, and noone was as good as J&J Smart. Full disclosure though, they are good friends. Even fuller disclosure, we believed in them so much, we booked all 3 boats (I think they only run 2 now) for our wedding - rafted up 3 boats for the ceremony, then split up to fish. All in all, a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I always stay with Ebb Tide Charters. Marvin is a forum member, great boat, deep creek guy and best prices around...EVERY experience I have had with him I have a blast. Will not go out with anyone else down there

Chuck and JohnSWA had a blast with Marvin. Heard lots about their trips and will go with Marvin if we book a trip in the area.

http://www.ebbtidechartersinc.com/

-Dan

It sounds like the Groupon guys are a chicken charter from the looks of their website. I would steer clear of them unless that is what you are looking for. Head out catch two runts and head back. Nope thats not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I hear ya and can see your side. Certainly not wasting my time just pointing out how a charter might feel gettin bookings canceled. I honestly do wish you have a great trip though...
    I appreciate that bear. I hope it is an amazing trip doing a lot of fly fishing as well and can't wait to come. I talked it over with the wife. She thinks that the trip would be better if we booked it from a reputable place that the "locals" at least know about and think are good. I will check into those places y'all mentioned. I think I'll do a little research and find out more on the places y'all recommended. Anyone know if a morning or afternoon set out time is preferred for fish? Does it really make a difference? Thanks for the help again.

Default timing

I appreciate that bear. I hope it is an amazing trip doing a lot of fly fishing as well and can't wait to come. I talked it over with the wife. She thinks that the trip would be better if we booked it from a reputable place that the "locals" at least know about and think are good. I will check into those places y'all mentioned. I think I'll do a little research and find out more on the places y'all recommended. Anyone know if a morning or afternoon set out time is preferred for fish? Does it really make a difference? Thanks for the help again.
    Good plan. About the timing, print a tide table for the area and time you'll be there and use that as guidance. Call a handful of charters and ask each of them which tides they do the best in. I bet after your third or fourth call you'll already have one charter crossed off and another one circled as probable.

Since you sound new to halibut I'll mention one other thing. All charters include filleting, but don't forget to tip both the cap'n and your skillful fillet-ers, and while you're watching the guys fillet your meat, don't let them keep the halibut cheeks for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Good plan. About the timing, print a tide table for the area and time you'll be there and use that as guidance. Call a handful of charters and ask each of them which tides they do the best in. I bet after your third or fourth call you'll already have one charter crossed off and another one circled as probable.

Since you sound new to halibut I'll mention one other thing. All charters include filleting, but don't forget to tip both the cap'n and your skillful fillet-ers, and while you're watching the guys fillet your meat, don't let them keep the halibut cheeks for themselves.
    Ill get all this done tomorrow for sure. Got a lot of downtime at work recently. Lol. What are the "cheeks". Don't know much about the filet if a halibut. Also, should I ship it home to my parents to hang on too, or take it home?

Just sent J&J an email. Martins was booked for the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast