Thread: any experience with TFO's Prism LA reels?

Default any experience with TFO's Prism LA reels?

Hey guys, so I have a reel question. I recently bought a on sale TFO TiCr 7 wt and I needed a quick reel to get on it to use it. All BPS had was a TFO prism LA. Used it today and it worked great. Was thinking of taking it back and order something else a little nicer and a lot of good reviews like a lamson guru or something like that. Does anyone have any opinion on if I should keep is set up or what other reel is better for the money. Paid 94.95 for this one. It has a cork drag??? Don't know if that's good or bad for longevity of the reel. Not machined aluminum either. Which I heard is the way to go. Have looked at lamson and Ross for a replacement.

I Love all my Lamson reels. Can't beat the drag on Lamson!

Well in a word and please don't take this the wrong way UgH! I own several reel including both that you have mentiond i.e. the one you own and the Lamson I don't fish Ross Reels. More than likley should however never had the need to purchase one yet. Keep in mind the basic requirement is to hold the line again the basic requirement is to hold the line. If you are not fishing IGF record fish on a daily basis just keep in mind the basic requirement is to hold the line.

Now mind You yes bet I like my Lamson reals however the expense although less than previous years IMO does not equate to the expense unless it is warranted by your fishing needs.

I also have several different TFO reals including several BVK series which are reasonable however not the quality of the Lamson, but that being said I have several TFO reals in other series that IMO exceed the Lamson Guru.

Sage offers some new models as well that are excellent IMO.
    Best of luck your choices.

You might wish to Speak to Tony Weaver and or Ken Killian at the Anchorage Outdoor Show this Spring before springing for a new real.

RMM

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Well in a word and please don't take this the wrong way UgH! I own several reel including both that you have mentiond i.e. the one you own and the Lamson I don't fish Ross Reels. More than likley should however never had the need to purchase one yet. Keep in mind the basic requirement is to hold the line again the basic requirement is to hold the line. If you are not fishing IGF record fish on a daily basis just keep in mind the basic requirement is to hold the line.

Now mind You yes bet I like my Lamson reals however the expense although less than previous years IMO does not equate to the expense unless it is warranted by your fishing needs.

I also have several different TFO reals including several BVK series which are reasonable however not the quality of the Lamson, but that being said I have several TFO reals in other series that IMO exceed the Lamson Guru.

Sage offers some new models as well that are excellent IMO.
    Best of luck your choices.

You might wish to Speak to Tony Weaver and or Ken Killian at the Anchorage Outdoor Show this Spring before springing for a new real.

RMM
    Thanks for the advice, I know it's the age old saying, "all a reel does is hold line". But I firmly believe the quality should still be looked at. It's perfect for what I want to do but I figured if I am going to do it. Might as well do it right. Plus I dont have, nor will have, multiple reels and rods so I want something that will hold up. What TFO exceeds the lamson IYO?

You should look at the Echo Ion……..cheap reel……..80 dollars, one of the best reels I have used regardless of price. They were recommended to me by a guide, I didn't listen to him and instead bought 2 cheap ross fly rise reels and have had nothing but problems with both of them. So the next time I had spare cash to blow on fishing gear I picked one up (Echo Ion), and now I have 3.

I picked up a TFO LA for use in saltwater for occasional king casting around the kelp beds with a TFO Blue Water 10-weight. Kinda figured it was a "throw away" reel that would get us by until I proved the fishing and moved on to something "better." Silly me.

A couple of years later it's still going strong, and we usually fish it with 16# leader and the drag cranked real tight. My wife even uses it for halibut now and then. Not a single issue, and I'm ready to pick up another Blue Water 10 weight and put an LA reel on it, too.

BTW- For a rod as light as a 7-weight I'd take a hard look at the BVK. We're using them on our BVK 7-weights and they are sterling performers. I haven't compared them with LA's the same size, but compared to the larger LA on the 10-wt they seem better "balanced" somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I picked up a TFO LA for use in saltwater for occasional king casting around the kelp beds with a TFO Blue Water 10-weight. Kinda figured it was a "throw away" reel that would get us by until I proved the fishing and moved on to something "better." Silly me.

A couple of years later it's still going strong, and we usually fish it with 16# leader and the drag cranked real tight. My wife even uses it for halibut now and then. Not a single issue, and I'm ready to pick up another Blue Water 10 weight and put an LA reel on it, too.

BTW- For a rod as light as a 7-weight I'd take a hard look at the BVK. We're using them on our BVK 7-weights and they are sterling performers. I haven't compared them with LA's the same size, but compared to the larger LA on the 10-wt they seem better "balanced" somehow.
    i feel like it is a decent reel, glad to know it works well. It's hard to justify spending the money on an expensive reel whenever the TFO seems fine. Ill look into the echo's as well. But I need a heavier rod for Alaska, seems like the consensus anyway. Using a 7wt would seem ok unless I get into the bigger salmon. Maybe ill keep the prism for the lighter reel and upgrade before I come up there.

Quote Originally Posted by ccooper88 View Post
    Using a 7wt would seem ok unless I get into the bigger salmon. Maybe ill keep the prism for the lighter reel and upgrade before I come up there.
    It depends as much on the water as on the size of the salmon. On smaller rivers with few anglers I have no qualms about using my 8-wts for kings up to around 30#. Lots of room for me to run after them if needed and no one in the way. But make it big water with lots of current and your hundred new best friends, and you'll wish for a 10-wt even with 10# fish. If you're jumping bigger than a 7-wt, I wouldn't just go to an 8-wt. I'd say a 9-wt will make you lots happier, but a 10 would be overkill for silvers on flat water like lakes and bays. Back to your 7-wt at that point.

TFO Large Arbor exceed the Lamson Guru however the price is also $249.00 versus the Guru Cost. The BVK drag systems is ok but does not match the Guru IMO. I have a couple -5 BVK's reasonable reel. The only issue with the Large Arbor reel is its weight it is a little on the heavy side however the performance is worth the trade off again IMO. I love it on my switch rods little bulky for anything 6W and below again IMO.

Best of luck with your choice.

RMM

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    TFO Large Arbor exceed the Lamson Guru however the price is also $249.00 versus the Guru Cost. The BVK drag systems is ok but does not match the Guru IMO. I have a couple -5 BVK's reasonable reel. The only issue with the Large Arbor reel is its weight it is a little on the heavy side however the performance is worth the trade off again IMO. I love it on my switch rods little bulky for anything 6W and below again IMO.

Best of luck with your choice.

RMM
    thanks for the insight. I'm guessing you are talking about the TFO reel that's the step above the 94 dollar prism. I have not used or read anything on any of their other reels. Found a Lamson guru online for 70.00 I'm the highest bidder so far, keeping my fingers crossed. Also bid on a Ross F-1 that was going for 290.00 pretty cheap for such a good reel so I made a bid on it and if I don't use it I can always resell it for more. Hopefully.