Thread: if hell froze over....... a sucker lake report

Default if hell froze over....... a sucker lake report

....then warmed up enough to have 2 feet of over flow, and was inside that white room that neutralises all your super powers, and there was nothing but a barren waste land that we couldnt walk though, that about how sucker lake was for us....

Just kidding, but only partially. it didnt start off to well when with in the first hour I was running between ice holes and I broke through the crust on the over flow and went up my mid thigh in water, and we managed to hit the shallow part of sucker lake, and every one of holes we drilled for the first day and a half was frozen all the way to the ground till we eventually got way teh heck out there and we drilled and there was bout a foot and a half of water, so we moved camp there and fished all night to no avail. this morning I went out even further and drilled another hole with abotu the same result, and then we set out the poles and build snowmen till our plane came round 1:30 or so and I was the first to leave cause my buddy was just gonna drive home with his dad (our pilot) and I get a call tonight and he caught 2 pike while I was gone! I was a little jealous but thats the way it goes. 3 days of being wet the whole time ai shower never felt so good.

I must say I am a firm believer in wiggys bags, I couldnt even have the bag tucked tight around my chin like I usualy do or I would start sweating, and they even got wet and were warm and toasty.

To get off the slush we cut a bed of spruce boughs and put a tarp over it with 2 foam pads each. we did all our cooking inside the quick fish right before bed and it got roasty toasty in there.

it seemed to really suck while we were there but looking back it was fun. as we were leaving we circled around a bunch of snowmachiners and they looked like there were having fun.

If any of you were in the group of snowmachiners, how did it go fo yall?

Not a ver good report as I kinda suck at writing, but you get the idea
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

So you got skunked? Bummer. Alexander lake can be slow in the winter too and it's right next door to Sucker.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Hey FFG:

Just got back from our cabin...We were that group of snowmachiners that drove over and spoke with your brother, just after he caught his first fish. We had about 25 holes punched and working where we had set up--(5 kids, with 5 adults assisting).

Lots of overflow on all lakes in that vicinity this year--about 12" of water under about same amount of snow. Lake's ice is below that and is just shy of 30" thick--glad we had brought a 18" extension for our old auger and wore rubber bunny boots!

Son-in-law and myself each broke Eskimo shaft's upper gear teeth on our older Eskimo augers trying to drill through the deep heavy slush (not enough hp to turn that 10" drill!) So, we're trying to locate that upper small gear in the transfer case for older Eskimo model 8900. Anybody know of any local sources? Worth asking....

Anyway, fishing had been decent earlier in the year on nearby lakes, but seems to have slowed down now. How many times have you heard that line?

Our grandkids worked all the tip-ups, had a blast, caught a few smaller pike...but, there was nothing to brag about.

We were all very glad that your dad's plane never had trouble with the overflow, 'cause it wouldn't have been pretty if he had busted through into the overflow!

Hoping for cooler temps to freeze some of our tracks and/or overflow. But, doesn't look like that's in the immediate forecast.

Drill, baby drill! Be safe, and good luck to you!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

It's getting to be that part of the season, the fish are getting sluggish due to oxygen depletion, especially in lakes without open water streams/springs feeding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Have Gun Will Travel View Post
    Hey FFG:

Just got back from our cabin...We were that group of snowmachiners that drove over and spoke with your brother, just after he caught his first fish. We had about 25 holes punched and working where we had set up--(5 kids, with 5 adults assisting).

Lots of overflow on all lakes in that vicinity this year--about 12" of water under about same amount of snow. Lake's ice is below that and is just shy of 30" thick--glad we had brought a 18" extension for our old auger and wore rubber bunny boots!

Son-in-law and myself each broke Eskimo shaft's upper gear teeth on our older Eskimo augers trying to drill through the deep heavy slush (not enough hp to turn that 10" drill!) So, we're trying to locate that upper small gear in the transfer case for older Eskimo model 8900. Anybody know of any local sources? Worth asking....

Anyway, fishing had been decent earlier in the year on nearby lakes, but seems to have slowed down now. How many times have you heard that line?

Our grandkids worked all the tip-ups, had a blast, caught a few smaller pike...but, there was nothing to brag about.

We were all very glad that your dad's plane never had trouble with the overflow, 'cause it wouldn't have been pretty if he had busted through into the overflow!

Hoping for cooler temps to freeze some of our tracks and/or overflow. But, doesn't look like that's in the immediate forecast.

Drill, baby drill! Be safe, and good luck to you!
    hey thanks for the report! What do you consider small? would you consider the one he caught small? so you say the fishing would be better right after freeze up, say in december?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Anchorage small engine is pretty good with having spare parts for augers on hand. They had a carb kit for a very old tecumseh of mine.

Hey Have Gun Will Travel im the guy you talked to on the lake.
    were yall catching much over there?
    ya my dad landed to pick me up right before you guys left.