Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMR-4350 for .375 HH

Default IMR-4350 for .375 HH

Hey guys, I am not seasoned in my reloading and I have a question. I am trying to load barnes tsx 270's in my .375 HH. I went through what powder I had and I found data on IMR-4350 which I have 4 lbs of. So i went to load some. The starting load was 74.5 and the max I believe was around 77.5. When I threw 74 gr into a case it looked to be just below the start of the shoulder. The bullet would be compressing the powder at the starting load. If anyone has any experience using this powder for this caliber please help me out! should I be afraid to compress the load slightly? What is safe? can anyone give me some recipes for .375HH using IMR-4350? thanks!
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Make sure your scale is calibrated, if not you may be throwing more than you think. Your cases may hold less than the test cases due to web and wall thickness differences. You can use a longer drop tube to align the long pieces of IMR4350 more efficiently in your case. If you don't have a longer drop tube then hold a clean finger over the neck of a charged case and thump the side of the case a few times to settle the charge. A little compression won't hurt anything.

Hodgdon data shows 69.0 - 76.0 for a charge range with the 270 TSX and IMR4350. They show 76.0 as a compressed load.

Thanks. I did question the calibration so I did recalibrate twice during the process. Ill try taking it down to 70 and thumping the case a little bit.

May be obvious, but make sure you have IMR4350 and not H4350. The data will differ as well for each.

It is IMR4350.

IMR4350 is very bulky and normally is compressed at full loads. You have the right numbers.

I just put some Sierra 300gr. SPBT on top of IMR-4350, 72 grains was a bit below the neck of my federal cases and 78 was just above it, definately compressed. 79 was the listed max, i'm going to re-measure COAL tomorrow and see if they moved at all.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I just put some Sierra 300gr. SPBT on top of IMR-4350, 72 grains was a bit below the neck of my federal cases and 78 was just above it, definately compressed. 79 was the listed max, i'm going to re-measure COAL tomorrow and see if they moved at all.
    FWIW I shot these tonight, best group was about 1.5" with the 78 grain load, kicked fairly good but I like the load for baiting black bears!

I shoot 76 grains with Nosler 260, not the fastest but groups well in my rifle,
    with the 300s I shoot 75 grains, I don't worry about compression so much, you'll get a little but as mentioned previously IMR 4350 is a long bulky powder.

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    I shoot 76 grains with Nosler 260, not the fastest but groups well in my rifle,
    with the 300s I shoot 75 grains, I don't worry about compression so much, you'll get a little but as mentioned previously IMR 4350 is a long bulky powder.
    Good info, thanks. I'm going to try some Sierra 250s next, thought they might make a good caribou load. I might try those nosler 260s too!

I bought the 260s thinking Iwas taking my 375 to Africa, but decided for what I'mhunting, my 7 mag is all I need. I'd stick with 300s for everything, max charge of IMR 4350, you won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    Hey guys, I am not seasoned in my reloading and I have a question. I am trying to load barnes tsx 270's in my .375 HH. I went through what powder I had and I found data on IMR-4350 which I have 4 lbs of. So i went to load some. The starting load was 74.5 and the max I believe was around 77.5. When I threw 74 gr into a case it looked to be just below the start of the shoulder. The bullet would be compressing the powder at the starting load. If anyone has any experience using this powder for this caliber please help me out! should I be afraid to compress the load slightly? What is safe? can anyone give me some recipes for .375HH using IMR-4350? thanks!
    Hello using a long drop tube with your funnel settles 4350 down into the case below the case mouth. Makes it easier to load the bullet w/o spilling and prevents the powder pushing the bullet back out. Hope that helps.

I used 75.2 grains of 4350 behind 300 gr noslers and produced 1inch groups.. Never shot smaller bullets,to me the 375 is right at home with 300..
    250ish bullets I would just use a 338.. but thats me...

I found RL-15 to be really good powder for the 375 H&H with 260gr+ bullets. It would be worth working up a load if you have any of that powder on hand.

I do not have any rl-15. I wish I did. I have some rl-19. I have 8lbs of w748 and have seen good data for .375 with that powder and loaded 10 rounds for it yesterday.

Imr 4064 was the go to powder for the 375. I had 375 weatherby mag that would make you see stars every time you pulled trigger but man did it shoot 270gr Hornady with a healthy dose of 4064.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I found RL-15 to be really good powder for the 375 H&H with 260gr+ bullets. It would be worth working up a load if you have any of that powder on hand.
    Thamks for the input, I think I'm going to try that since I've got a few pounds of rl-15.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Imr 4064 was the go to powder for the 375. I had 375 weatherby mag that would make you see stars every time you pulled trigger but man did it shoot 270gr Hornady with a healthy dose of 4064.
    Good info, I've got some of that I may try too.

In the past I had a good load for a 375 Wby with 4064 that produced excellent velocity (about 2800 fps as I recall) with MOA accuracy with the old Barnes X. Last year I was reloading for 5 different 375's to find the most accurate one for a South African lion and Kudu hunt. The winner was an AI 375 using H4350 and Barnes 270 TTSX. So as you have probably realized by now ... it just depends on what combination works best with your rifle but IMR 4350 and 4064 are as good as any to start with. I have never had any problem with mild to moderately compressed loads of 4350 and not infrequently use a 2' drop tube thereby obviating the need for overt compression. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    In the past I had a good load for a 375 Wby with 4064 that produced excellent velocity (about 2800 fps as I recall) with MOA accuracy with the old Barnes X. Last year I was reloading for 5 different 375's to find the most accurate one for a South African lion and Kudu hunt. The winner was an AI 375 using H4350 and Barnes 270 TTSX. So as you have probably realized by now ... it just depends on what combination works best with your rifle but IMR 4350 and 4064 are as good as any to start with. I have never had any problem with mild to moderately compressed loads of 4350 and not infrequently use a 2' drop tube thereby obviating the need for overt compression. Good luck.
    I've tried a few combinations of bullets and RL-15/IMR-4350/IMR-4064 now and I can get around 2" groups with most of those combinations but I've yet to find the "pet load" yet. I've got several more combinations to try still so i'll keep at it! Fun stuff, just having trouble finding time to load and shoot between bathroom remodel, predator hunting, bear baiting, fishing... Lifes rough!

For now i'm thinking my black bear baiting load is going to be 300gr. hornady round nose interlocks and 4350. I'm going to shoot them again this week but for now thats what my plan is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast