Thread: Square Deal B Dillon Press

Default Square Deal B Dillon Press

Got a new press today - ordered it in 38 special and set it up today! Boy, I really like this puppy, was cranking out quality loads as fast as I could feed it! Took me a little over an hour to set up and dump out the first round, went slow making sure no goofs. Instructions could use a couple tweaks and had to re-mount on my bench 3 times before I got it right, but then it was smooth as butter. If you have a certain caliber of handgun only you shoot a lot this is a pretty decent setup and affordable prices...
    I did not buy the base mount they sell and that would have eliminated a couple challenges I encountered mounting it direct.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Congratulations Smokey...I really like my Dillion 550.

I don't use my Dillion often because I crank-out hundreds and hundreds of rounds when I do. Each time I have to pull-out those directions and remind myself of the many nuances of that well designed contraption. I load 45acp, 10mm and 223 with mine, and I plan to run some 357sig in the future. I try to stick with ball/spherical powder with my Dillon because it meters more evenly. One of my good friends runs extruded powder in his and he tells me it is no problem...but I stick with spherical/ball (I'm also the kind of guy who measures every powder charge I throw with a single stage).

Have fun!!

I really want to get one some day. I could see seriously cranking out some 6.8SPC with AA2200 in larger quantities. Now with Fed making ammo and brass for it I could see being economical. Add in 45acp and 10mm and it almost seems hard to justify not having one... hmmm....

The night I set up my SDB I accidentally made 200 rounds of .45 ACP before I had even gotten the hang of it. I love it, it's just tough to feed it!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I got the 650 a couple years ago...and it is sweeeeet...only problem now is finding anything to feed it will...I missed the hoarding of primers and powder and now check all the usual places every couple days for inventory...nada...nothing...anyone know of a good source of small rifle or large pistol primers, RL15...(you can PM if you don't want a race to the store)...

thanks for any leads!!!

Default Square Deal

I picked up one in .44 Mag a year ago at a gun show for $65 but haven't set it up yet. Thanks for the encouragement - I'll drag mine out and fire it up.

It also came with an extra set of dies - also in .44 Mag for some unknown reason. I do need the trade the extra set off for something like .45 ACP or .38 Spl.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Got a new press today - ordered it in 38 special and set it up today! Boy, I really like this puppy, was cranking out quality loads as fast as I could feed it! Took me a little over an hour to set up and dump out the first round, went slow making sure no goofs. Instructions could use a couple tweaks and had to re-mount on my bench 3 times before I got it right, but then it was smooth as butter. If you have a certain caliber of handgun only you shoot a lot this is a pretty decent setup and affordable prices...
    I did not buy the base mount they sell and that would have eliminated a couple challenges I encountered mounting it direct.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

For those that may not know it isnt a 550, the 550B is only for limited calibers and not intended to change calibers much like the 550.
    The B only loads;
    32 H&R mag/ S&W long
    38 Special
    357 Mag
    38 Super ans Super Comp
    9mm
    40 S&W
    10mm
    41 Mag
    44 Mag
    44-40
    45acp
    45gap
    45 Colt
    45 S&W
    No rifle stuff, no AR rounds just handgun.
    The B is a great press for knocking out a lot of just one handgun caliber, if you are doing more than that you want a 550 or 650 . . . Or in my case a Hornady.

Congrats on the Dillon 550B Smoky, big step up from the Lee aint it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Congratulations Smokey...I really like my Dillion 550.

I don't use my Dillion often because I crank-out hundreds and hundreds of rounds when I do. Each time I have to pull-out those directions and remind myself of the many nuances of that well designed contraption. I load 45acp, 10mm and 223 with mine, and I plan to run some 357sig in the future. I try to stick with ball/spherical powder with my Dillon because it meters more evenly. One of my good friends runs extruded powder in his and he tells me it is no problem...but I stick with spherical/ball (I'm also the kind of guy who measures every powder charge I throw with a single stage).

Have fun!!
    My 14 yr old trapping & hunting partner cranked out about 400 rounds tonight in short order. A couple primer feed mishaps, but pretty easy to clean out and get going...
    Doc, I broke out my last 1000 S&W sm pistol primers and last 1 lb of 231 to get this puppy cranking - 1980 vintage! I set it for 3.7 gr and it is very consistant ranging 3.6 to 3.8, so I am happy with that.... Not sure what I will do when 231 runs out, but as well as it is metering probably get more! I have loaded on a single stage for years and also weighed ea powder chg!

tvfinak, if you did not get the base mount with your unit be aware that the powder rod will need some clearance if you mount directly to your bench. I had to grab the sawzaw and dremel tool to make a notch in my table top. also the primer catch tray extends back under the table top some so you need at least a 4 - 5 in lip on the top of your bench if it has a front to it....
    Son and I had some fun today shooting 308's at 400 yards. Light breeze and 40 degree's made for cool bbls and many bulls-eyes!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

My 14 yr old trapping & hunting partner cranked out about 400 rounds tonight in short order. A couple primer feed mishaps, but pretty easy to clean out and get going...
    Doc, I broke out my last 1000 S&W sm pistol primers and last 1 lb of 231 to get this puppy cranking - 1980 vintage! I set it for 3.7 gr and it is very consistant ranging 3.6 to 3.8, so I am happy with that.... Not sure what I will do when 231 runs out, but as well as it is metering probably get more! I have loaded on a single stage for years and also weighed ea powder chg!

tvfinak, if you did not get the base mount with your unit be aware that the powder rod will need some clearance if you mount directly to your bench. I had to grab the sawzaw and dremel tool to make a notch in my table top. also the primer catch tray extends back under the table top some so you need at least a 4 - 5 in lip on the top of your bench if it has a front to it....
    Son and I had some fun today shooting 308's at 400 yards. Light breeze and 40 degree's made for cool bbls and many bulls-eyes!
    Sounds great Smokey...that Dillion is a hungry unit for sure, and it will go through components faster than Rosie O'Donnel through a buffet line.

I hope you are able to find some primers...1980's huh...makes me feel good about the bricks that I have vacuumed sealed for the future.

I bought the stand to mount to the bench as a base for the unit, which really does help at least for my set-up.

Default thanks...

Thanks for the info on the things that hit- that can save me a lot of time and trouble! Mine is an old unit but looks hardly used and the price was definitely right esp since they have a lifetime warranty. I shoot a lot of .44 Mags but some conversion dies would be nice also.

How are things in Central IL? I lived in Champagne -Urban in the late 80s and helped start up the Clinton Nuclear Plant in 87-88. Guess it is still chugging along but Illinois Power Company is long gone.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

AD It's the square deal that only does handgun rounds. The 550B does rifle and pistol and has the change out die holder. The SQD is a very good press for handgun rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Thanks for the info on the things that hit- that can save me a lot of time and trouble! Mine is an old unit but looks hardly used and the price was definitely right esp since they have a lifetime warranty. I shoot a lot of .44 Mags but some conversion dies would be nice also.

How are things in Central IL? I lived in Champagne -Urban in the late 80s and helped start up the Clinton Nuclear Plant in 87-88. Guess it is still chugging along but Illinois Power Company is long gone.
    I did a little work at Clinton Plant in 1977 or 1978?
    To sum it up IL Sucks - politicians have made too many promisis that could not be kept to garner votes from unions and now its coming back to haunt everyone - except the ones making those deals as they have long retuired on very healthy pensions! Gun laws are rediculous as well. I had my wallet stolen in early Dec and applied for a new FOID card Dec 11th, - supposed to get one back in 30 days - yes its almost day 90 and I am still waiting - not supposed to even handle a gun until that waste of time and money card arrives - what BS... You were smart to leave - I would if I could....!

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    AD It's the square deal that only does handgun rounds. The 550B does rifle and pistol and has the change out die holder. The SQD is a very good press for handgun rounds.
    You are right Square Deal B they call it now, used to be model SD550B now just model # SDB, they seem to have dropped the 550 from it and added a B to the end of the RL550. They used to just call it the B press, used to be a lot of them for sale in Phoenix where guys bought the cheapest Dillon and got an education that it wasnt the 550.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona