Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Windlass's What are you guys using ?? Good & Bad ??

Default Anchor Windlass's What are you guys using ?? Good & Bad ??

What brands and models of windlass's are you guys using? What features to you like or dislike ?? I'm assuming your using 1/2" rope for anchor line ? Have you had problems and/or had to replace a windlass after only a short time of use ?? What features would you like to see ?? I feel funny asking this but what did you pay for your windlass and what would you consider a fair price for a new one (that was American made).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Steve,

I have an Endurance that came with my boat. It died about a month after the warranty went out on it. 1 year! Wahoo!!! It was slower than molasses on a cold winter day. Hewescraft only put them on their boats for 2 years since they found it was a peice of crap. I haven't replaced it. Been using the ring/bouy method ever since. If I don't sell "Danielle Rae" this spring, gonna put her up for sale soon and see if I can get what I want for her. If I can't, I might have to make another purchase from you. See you at the Sportsmans Show!!!

I have the Lewmar 700 without the free fall option. It's OK. Too slow for me, but it works. I use the bouy/ring during the day and use the windlass at the end of the day to store all the rode. I also use it when anchoring in a cove. If it was faster, I'd probably use it more often.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

So something that pulls 75-90ft/min and has the free fall feature would be what you guys would be looking for ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Hi Steve: I use a Powerwinch Quick Catch Pot Puller for both my anchor and my shrimp pots, mounted on the bow of my HC Alaskan 26'. With the big front door on the HC and the "well" up front, plus line locker, this works well for us.

I paid about $600 for the puller and wiring kit. The first one lasted 4 years, reason it failed was that there is a two-piece body to the thing, and the seal had a little kink in it I didn't notice, and saltwater got in and corroded the electric motor. Amazing it lasted as long as it did. Used for about 6-7 weeks each summer, mostly every day during that time. Bought another for about the same price (Amazon) and put sealant along the body crack, to make sure that didn't happen again.

I've been very satisfied with this, but then I may not know any better. It pulls reasonably fast, and trouble free. I can coil the pot line when just checking pots, or run it into the line locker. I don't anchor that often, but when I do, the anchor rode goes right into the locker. The speed is acceptable for me, but I really would like to pull the shrimp pots a little faster. I run 3 or two pot strings now, but have pulled 5 pots with it.

That said, I would be willing to spend $1000-$1500 on my next puller if it was faster and/or more durable, maybe more with a davit or whatever you call the arm that raises from the gunnel. However, I like being able to pull the anchor and pots with the same device, and I think with a faster puller and davit, I would mount that in the stern, easier to handle the shrimp pots there, and I don't have to bring stuff through the cabin. So, I would keep the bow puller for the anchor. If I had lots of money, I would just set up one of your pullers (Teledyne cadillac) in the stern right now...probably after I bought a bigger and better boat

Steve,

As much as I would love a free fall, it would require fabrication for the minumum 12" clearance for the stored line and chain. There is a few folks on the Hewescraft Owners forum that have fabricated a mount to allow a free fall with an Alaskan240 but I'm not willing to do it. I store gear in my bow and don't want to have it full of line and chain. I keep all my line in a tote tied to my bow rails so a capstan style like the electadyne you have been recently mentioning on your other threads is more my speed. Have you ever found out the ft per minute that will pull?

Steve, That would be great. Hands free like a Lewmar even better.

Chico, I have mine falling into my locker up front. It works really well, But I have mine mounted on a heavy aluminum plate thats mounted a little farther back than the stock position. So maybe that's why it works on my Hewes. I'll try to post a picture.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Steve,

As much as I would love a free fall, it would require fabrication for the minumum 12" clearance for the stored line and chain. There is a few folks on the Hewescraft Owners forum that have fabricated a mount to allow a free fall with an Alaskan240 but I'm not willing to do it. I store gear in my bow and don't want to have it full of line and chain. I keep all my line in a tote tied to my bow rails so a capstan style like the electadyne you have been recently mentioning on your other threads is more my speed. Have you ever found out the ft per minute that will pull?
    I posted the ft/min in the same thread you asked about it in but its 190ft/min with the 20:1 gearbox.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Hi Steve: I use a Powerwinch Quick Catch Pot Puller for both my anchor and my shrimp pots, mounted on the bow of my HC Alaskan 26'. With the big front door on the HC and the "well" up front, plus line locker, this works well for us.

I paid about $600 for the puller and wiring kit. The first one lasted 4 years, reason it failed was that there is a two-piece body to the thing, and the seal had a little kink in it I didn't notice, and saltwater got in and corroded the electric motor. Amazing it lasted as long as it did. Used for about 6-7 weeks each summer, mostly every day during that time. Bought another for about the same price (Amazon) and put sealant along the body crack, to make sure that didn't happen again.

I've been very satisfied with this, but then I may not know any better. It pulls reasonably fast, and trouble free. I can coil the pot line when just checking pots, or run it into the line locker. I don't anchor that often, but when I do, the anchor rode goes right into the locker. The speed is acceptable for me, but I really would like to pull the shrimp pots a little faster. I run 3 or two pot strings now, but have pulled 5 pots with it.

That said, I would be willing to spend $1000-$1500 on my next puller if it was faster and/or more durable, maybe more with a davit or whatever you call the arm that raises from the gunnel. However, I like being able to pull the anchor and pots with the same device, and I think with a faster puller and davit, I would mount that in the stern, easier to handle the shrimp pots there, and I don't have to bring stuff through the cabin. So, I would keep the bow puller for the anchor. If I had lots of money, I would just set up one of your pullers (Teledyne cadillac) in the stern right now...probably after I bought a bigger and better boat
    Electra Dyne's are less than $1500 and you could set it up to haul pots from the stern then just fairlead the anchor line from the bow back to the hauler to pull your anchor. I've got one customer with a 22' wooley that does just that except he just runs his anchor line from the bow straight thru the opening/split windshield and to the hauler.
    Attachment 68695

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Steve: guess I haven't looked in a while, thought the Electradyne was much more than that. If I anchored a LOT, I would want a hands free like Chico and RobB, but I don't and I also want my anchor rode to go in my rope locker in my bow, not sure how I could do that with a fairlead setup. But, I will plan towards than Electradyne to pull my pots, if it can go that fast...The Powerwinch does the job but I am sure it is much slower than that. No freefall problem with my system, I just let the anchor down by hand until it is in the water, and let 'er fly. I ALWAYS have the end of the rode tied to a cleat, of course. I don't have a bunch of other stuff in the way on my bow. That Electradyne price...<$1500 must be for the motor/windlass alone, not with a davit, correct? hmmm...I will just go check your website and see!

Hmmmm....my university server cannot find Steve's website again, can get it on my phone though...alaskashrimpots.com. Must be they think I am looking for funny green weed for very short/small people in the greatland, and are blocking it Anyone else have this problem? Nothing with Steve's website, I get it on other servers...

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Steve: guess I haven't looked in a while, thought the Electradyne was much more than that. If I anchored a LOT, I would want a hands free like Chico and RobB, but I don't and I also want my anchor rode to go in my rope locker in my bow, not sure how I could do that with a fairlead setup. But, I will plan towards than Electradyne to pull my pots, if it can go that fast...The Powerwinch does the job but I am sure it is much slower than that. No freefall problem with my system, I just let the anchor down by hand until it is in the water, and let 'er fly. I ALWAYS have the end of the rode tied to a cleat, of course. I don't have a bunch of other stuff in the way on my bow. That Electradyne price...<$1500 must be for the motor/windlass alone, not with a davit, correct? hmmm...I will just go check your website and see!
    Yup that just for the hauler and the davit can be as fancy or plain as your wallet will allow. The only way to haul the anchor and still get the rope into the bow would be the have somebody coil the rope into the bow locker as you haul but thats kinda of a goat rope but you could have the anchor line run into a tote then store the tote up on the bow somewhere. I'm not familar with your boats layout so i'm just bouncing ideas out. Call me if you want to discuss anything about the hauler.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Ron. As you know, we have the same boat. I have an Edyne mounted on a davit just behind the cabin. It is very fast and powerful for pulling all 5 of my pots on one string. I've never thought about pulling the anchor with it, but I'm going to start this summer. There are so many ways to mount that puller on our type boats and for the money, it's really hard to go with another puller.
    MMSI# 338232859

I have the Lewmar H700 ProSeries, speed up 88fmp min with175lbs, speed down 100fpm, 700lb Max Pull. This windless came with our boat so not sure how much time has been put on it, but quite happy with the performance. Using 22lb Bruce with 35ft of ¼” HT chain, I think it retrieves this setup quickly. Don’t think another 10lbs of anchor would make much difference.
    Sure the buoy pull method gets the job done quicker, not sure what the hurry is. I like having the line all neat and stowed away. Would be nice to have a Pivoting Bow Roller so the anchor self deploys. I do a work around by leaving anchor hanging forward a bit in the anchor roller.
    This windless sells for about $1k with all the goodies, I would be willing to pay up to $1500 for a better replacement if it fails.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I have a Simpson Lawrence Horizon 600 GD, which is sorta the predecessor to the Lewmar 700 Pro. Probably a little slower and weaker. It's worked well for 14 summers of cruising, anchoring a lot. The GD model has a drum on the port side, in addition to the gypsy. I use it to pull shrimp pots - much slower than a dedicated pot puller, but it works. 10kg Rocna, 46' 1/4" HT chain, 300' 1/2" three-strand.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I posted the ft/min in the same thread you asked about it in but its 190ft/min with the 20:1 gearbox.
    Sorry Steve, I didn't keep up with that other thread. I view this site at times several times a day and then go on a break for several weeks without logging on. 190 ft/min is AWESOME. Might have to give you some more of my money if I don't sell my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Steve, That would be great. Hands free like a Lewmar even better.

Chico, I have mine falling into my locker up front. It works really well, But I have mine mounted on a heavy aluminum plate thats mounted a little farther back than the stock position. So maybe that's why it works on my Hewes. I'll try to post a picture.
    Rob I would love to see pics of your set up. Do you have your locker compartmentalized or is it open. Reason I ask is I have a lot of gear in mine like extra PFD's, MRE's and Sleeping bags for emergencies.

After 4 years of using a lewmar windlass on my charter boat and going thru two of them, I went to an Ez-Anchor system and never looking back. Rope spools up on the drum and you can operate it from inside the cabin without fear of being on the bow in rough seas. We will be building similar systems shortly and should have some available by the end of the month.

I'm sure the E-dyne will pull up the anchor once it's broke loose but I would be careful using it from the side of the boat in strong current or heavy seas. It would be wise to keep the boat heading into the seas or current.

I have one of the lewmars available that was rebuilt under warranty that someone can have cheap. Was going to throw it on craiglist but if someones wants it shoot me a pm.

I have the same set up as "breausaw", it came with the boat. The rode kept getting bound in the windless. I had to repair the windless twice and splice the rode twice. I had purchased a 600' spool of rode with chain from an Anchorage dealer. I had the whole thing torn apart one day and a friend stopped by. He suggested I get a better quality twisted rode or better yet a braided rode. End of problem. In two years not a hitch. You get what you pay for.

Chico, I'll get a picture tonight after work or in the morning. My locker isn't split up, but that's a great idea.
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast