Thread: Iditarod - trailhead to ride some and see it ?

Default Iditarod - trailhead to ride some and see it ?

I have a friend that wants to ride out and see the iditarod start out by willow. Any recommended trailheads or info on going out for tomorrow? Trail etiquette?

I haven't done it before and thought it might make for a good afternoon. We will be leaving from anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I have a friend that wants to ride out and see the iditarod start out by willow. Any recommended trailheads or info on going out for tomorrow? Trail etiquette?

I haven't done it before and thought it might make for a good afternoon. We will be leaving from anchorage.
    Assuming your talking about riding a snow machine out to watch... at this late date, your going to be hard pressed to find a place to park a truck/trailer to launch your snowmachines anywhere near the Big Su River. Should you luck out, I don't know what the mile marker (so to speak) on the Su is where the dog trail will come into the Big Su.. In years past a lot of people used to ride 16 miles down the Big Su from the Deshka Landing to what used to be known as "the Scary Tree"... it was at the confluence of a slough off the Su and the Yentna River..
    It is marked by a sign right now.. There were usually bon fires, BYO refreshments. and more or less a big party to watch the dogs go by. Up the Yentna River there were pockets of people, usually with a big bon-fire going, partying and watching the dogs. These pockets of people extended all the way up to Skwentna. Once on the yentna river, Anywhere you want.
    Ettiquette... good question. Leave your dog to home.. or keep it quietly on a leash.. Give the mushers the right of way.

The weather and temps look to make for a great day.

That is what I was thinking on where to go - up past scary or maybe yetna or skwenta station if we decide to go that far. I was most worried about what trailhead to park to see it....

I don't know the route they are taking to get to the big su this year, but usually it is at deshka landing. If so, the corral hill trail is a good spot to get down to the river downstream of the dog teams. As far as parking, idk for sure, but there are quite a few access points to the trail system west of downtown willow from the roads. If you have a willow trails map, that would help, I think there is a trail map on the WACO website.

The Re-Start is at Willow (according to the ADN flyer).. So the dogs will hit the Big Su about 3/4 mile (+/-) below the Deshka Landing at Corral hill as DKwarthog mentioned.

I came in from my cabin yesterday about noon to the Deshka Ldg.. There really weren't too many parking places left then, and we passed a lot of rigs with 4 place trailers coming in.. As we left there was a rig waiting for us to leave so he could have our parking spot. at 2PM Yesterday the Deshka Ldg posted a note on facebook that they were filling up fast.

the parking lot just before the Deshkla Ldg gate seemed to have plenty of room... at that time..!

there are probably several places at Big Lake and at Willow where a guy could park his truck/trailer and follow one of the established trails out to the Big Su..

The restart begins at 2PM so you'd have a few hours to get out and pick your spot.

Thanks for the help guys. Still don't have a plan, either will go out pt. mac then run to flathorn and up the river...but the biglake idea sounds good too. I'll try to pull up some of the maps.

Ended up puttin on at the little sue. Snow was pretty good. Had a good day - put on 80 miles.

The Yetna roadhouse is closed down - talked to the new owner and they are not going to be having a business there anymore.

I didnt realize Gabryzaks sold the place. Bummer, was a good place to stop a dog team and eat a warm meal with nice folks.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I didnt realize Gabryzaks sold the place. Bummer, was a good place to stop a dog team and eat a warm meal with nice folks.
    I think the reference was for Luce's, not Gabryzaks......Luces was bought by a couple who don't want to run a business.
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

Ahhh, that makes sense. I had heard Luces was not open for business..

I just called Yentna Station 733-2746 they are OPPEN, They sell gas and logging is $55/person and that include breakfast.

Maybe I got my terms mixed up in the name - but I was not referring to Luces. We were about 10 miles upstream on the Yetna from the confluence of the yetna/su. We had burgers and beers at the place last year. I will google it up and get back here.

I can't find the name of the one we visited last year. It was not the Yentna Station though. Smaller lodge.

Rebels Roost?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"