Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Reasonable range" shooting as opposed to long range shooting

Default "Reasonable range" shooting as opposed to long range shooting

Do most Alaska residents keep their shots to under 300 yards, maybe 400? I'm of the old school and insist on clean kills generally keeping my shots to 300-350 yards. Most of my shots here in western Cololrado are under 300....many much closer. Kill your meat, eat your meat, hang the nice ones on the wall!

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

sounds like you have respect for the game you hunt, and you have the skills to get close. I'm happy there's some of you guys left.

I call it my bread and butter range, predictable ranges for a quick kill. Depending on the caliber and the game but is generally 200 to about 350 yards or so. I've hunted the mountains and the plains and have made many long shots but it would be rare today for me to try even a sure-hit shot at beyond 400 yards. There is so much chance of loosing an animal at the longer ranges (even with a killing shot)because we cannot keep track of location etc without a spotter and then is difficult. But I do still kill prairie dogs at 400 to 800 yards every year, I don't have qualms about them suffering for long.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I don't remember ever shooting at any game over about 75yards away.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I would have to say that of all the countless critters I have personally taken or professionally the average shot range is inside 150 over all.. but there are simply lots of variables depending on the critter at hand.. Brown bears I try to keep within 100 and the longest I can remember was probably 175 in the wide open.. sheep can be an average of 200 and of course stretch it a bit... My personal longest was on my goat at 330 with my 416 wby..

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I don't remember ever shooting at any game over about 75yards away.
    Ha ha! Yeah... me at about 100 yds give or take.
    200 yds. would be a longish range shot for me. Don't know what that makes me these days... cautious, unskilled... just old.
    ... but I admire you 300 and 400 yard shooters! Keep up the good work.

My personal limit for ethical game critter hunting is 300 yards or closer...
    I prefer 150 yards or closer.

If I goof, I want to make a follow-up shot that works. That is impossible at long ranges.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Been there, done that on the long range game shooting. Frankly it got boring. I was missing "the hunt," because I grew up with a lot of stalking and close range shooting. With lots longer shots to my "credit" in my youth, I have to say I probably haven't killed anything past 100 yards in the last 15 years or so. Most of that time I've been using open-sighted rifles and handguns, and in the recent years traditional muzzleloaders almost exclusively.

I just like to get close to the game, no matter how far away I first spot them. If I blow the stalk, I've had a good time anyway. Salute the animal and come back looking for him another day. He's still there and I learned a little, and had a whole lot more fun in the process than long range shooting.

As has been said before, do what pleases you. I know what pleases me, and I do it.

The older I get long range gets shorter.

MAN-- I agree with "brown bear" so my times in my long years of hunting-- I did the stalk and did not shoot, especially if I already had enough meat for home and friends. In all my years of guiding, I could never understand why the "dudes" did not take the meat-- just the horns? Guess that had a lot to do with giving up that profession. To me it is the hunt not always the kill.
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    The older I get long range gets shorter.
    Yeah, I find myself standing closer to the toilet too.

Farthest so far 60 something yards on a moose with the .44 mag. Otherwise, 50 on caribou with the bow and that is it. Other than the moose, all bow kills.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Long range means different things to different people.

What kind of animal? Prairie dog, wolf, moose or brown bear....

What kind of terrain? Alders, heavy timber, tundra in the fall or tundra in the winter....

What kind of circumstances? Sport hunting, subsistence hunting, follow-up shot........

What kind of shooting skills? Novice hunter/shooter, seasoned hunter/shooter.........We've probably all seen various hunters that shouldn't take a shot at any range, carrying rifles that have never been zeroed--closing their eyes at each shot--unable to manipulate the safety--etc.

What possible difference does it matter how far away we take our game so long as we work within our personal limitations (individual and equipment)? For some hunters that might mean 10 yards and for others that may mean 1000+ yards. I can't run a marathon today, but I don't think it is impossible for someone else, nor do I think less of myself because I can't. The range at which we decide to kill our quarry seems much ado about nothing.........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I know a guy nearby who between himself, family members and friends killed 19 antelope, deer and elk at ranges from 200-1285 yds. He either pulled the trigger or coached and spotted for all the kills. All one shot kills that did not go more than a few steps and many did not go anywhere. He did this with a Lazzeroni 300 WM shooting the new Berger 215 gr hybrid bullets. That was only last season, He has numerous seasons of LR kils prior to that.

What is "reasonable" to some may not be reasonable another - just saying...

He tests and confirms his ballistics and rifle usually with cold bore double taps. Here is a picture of one of those double taps @ 1007 yds.

"You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

465 yds

972 yds

His wife @ 585 yds

"You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

535 yds un a 10 mph wind, he coached the shot

857 yds

780 yds

777 yds

~ John Quincy Adams

802 yds

1005 yds

1285 yds

I have personally shot this rifle @ 1008 yds. 2 shots abot 3" appart, about 1 MOA high.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Good shooting. But That's not hunting

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Good shooting. But That's not hunting

sent from my igloo
    Absolutely, real hunters use only their hands........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Looks like he pursued and killed game in an ethical manner to me. All those shots are clearly in the kill zone and I suspect the animals tasted great. Personally I have taken 2 animals at 300+ with the longest at 362 yards. Not really "far" in the grand scheme of things but 400 would be my hard limit right now until I spend more time practicing and get a scope that allows me to dial in the shot rather than using hold-over. I hope to get effective out to 500-600 though I will continue to try and get as close as possible.

I am surprised how many people shoot modern high powered center fire rifles and have no idea what their true range capability are. I have a few buddies who seem confident the bullet disappears at about 150 yards. I have witnessed them pass on easy broadside shots at 175-200 yards using 308 and 243, both of which would be point of aim at that range. In every case the person shoots sub 2moa or better at the range but really never drag a target more than 100 yards and generally only shoot targets to sight in annually.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast