Thread: Want to get into baiting

Default Want to get into baiting

Need some help or some good advice on where to start looking. I have a four wheeler, atv, or canoe to access some places, just need some starting locations. Or would love to team up with someone already experienced in baiting, could split expenses. Live in Wasilla, the farthest I would look on my own would be from the Susitna River to the south back to Wasilla. Any help would be appreciated.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Anybody been around Nancy Lakes? I have my bow cert and baiting card.

I meant side by side in the first post instead of 2 four wheelers. Forgot how to edit.

I have no experience at baiting but am wanting to get a stand up this year looking at a couple posable areas have to wait to get back to town to check them out though!!!

Are you wanting to set up bait together?

Yeah I would be down to set up I dont have my bear bait yet and am working on my archery education I think I have a few more post till I can p.m. But my email is akcowboy88@hotmail.com u can get ahold of me I get back from the slope the 10th of April...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Hi guys, first step is to take the online bear baiting course and print off your certificates.. watch the video a few times, on judging bears, learn how to identify browns vs large blacks.. etc.. and look at identifying sows, that may have cubs..

Mr Grayling... i know its not totally up to date.. but spend a good bit of time on google earth or Bing maps looking over the places you FEEL you would like to go, then zooom in and look for cabins, remember you need to be a mile from any cabin, i draw a compass around them when looking at new areas, then you cna deside WHERE you can get your wheelers.. then as soon as your able, get out there and see if there are any NEW cabins in the areas.

the reward will be in pushing more then just off a trail or river bank, as thats where most others will bait. find an area, hard to get to, with water NEAR it.. be it a creek, pond, lake.. etc.. plenty of cover, and a sudo natural clearing you can work your stand into with out a ton of chainsaw work...

natural funnels like creeks, and V's in the hill side that game travles.. will also carry the bears on their routes..

i havent hunted down that way in a few years now... i do know compitition will be heavy in the easy to get to areas.. and recreational cabins are springing up all over the place... your best friend will be lots of leg work and scouting missions.. you have about a month to prepair.. and mid may before most stands get hit...

good luck.. its a TON of work... and a heck of a good time
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the advice Vince. Jerryl, I'll email you tomorrow.