Thread: Matsu trout/dollies in 10 days

Default Matsu trout/dollies in 10 days

I posted this in the other forum, but didn't know this forum existed. Anyway...

I'm planning to do some trout/dolly fishing in the area by the end of next week. It'll be my first trip to Alaska. I'm currently in Ohio but coming to Anchorage for a medical conference. Do you guys think there will be some good catch and release river fishing by that time?

My tentative plan is to fish the area South of Talkeetna and around Willow in those streams there.

I'm probably going to rent a car in Anchorage and drive north and hit as much good looking water as I can in a day or two. Mix in some spinner or fly fishing in the region lakes and nymph/streamer fishing the rivers. Any suggestions or advice?

If anyone's interested in coming along I'd be up for a fishing partner.

Again, I'm not familiar with Alaska fishing firsthand, but grew up flyfishing in the fabled streams of Idaho and Montana and have nailed dozens of steelies in Ohio now, so I know how to handle myself around a trout stream for the most part. Any ideas on flies would be highly appreciated as well as I have a few days to tie some up beforehand.

Stop at Three Rivers Fly & Tackle just off the Parks Hwy (L on Main St and it's immediately on the R after you pass the RR tracks) in Wasilla. I always stop there to get an update just before heading out. By the time you head out, there should be some reasonably good fishing along the Parks Hwy. I'm no expert so hopefully, you'll get more response from the regulars on this site. Best regards

Be careful to know the regs. There are going to be some good trout in that area, but many places are going to be closed for the spawning season. Also check your map a lot of people don't realize how big Alaska is. You are talking about a 2 hour drive to get to the streams that are open to trout fishing. You may want to look at the out let of some lakes. I found one a few years ago that had a school of large trout spawning.

The regs seem to indicate that most steams up above Willow are open for trout fishing, just not for retention of anything, which is fine by me. I'd love to fish lake outlets for spawning fish, but don't know enough about the area to want to invest lots of time searching for those lakes. Maybe if I had a week, but I'll likely only have a day and a half most likely.

I have been told to fork over $60 for a shuttle and give Clear Creek a try. Have any of you fished up there in May or early June?
    Last edited by flyfishing33; 05-09-2007 at 18:16.

I have fished the out let of montana lake with some sucess but that was a few years ago. I would walk around the area till I saw the school of trout. last I was out there I found a school of about 10 fish 18 to 20 inches.
    Never been to clear creek.
    Good luck

Well monday I'll be on long lake, probably tuesday too, and a decent chance for me being there wendsday. 3 rivers used to rent float tubes, it definately worth it to check in and see if they still do. Also the pike fishing should be kicking pretty good around now.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.