Thread: 20 HP Tohatsu on 14 Foot Skiff

Default 20 HP Tohatsu on 14 Foot Skiff

I'm thinking of putting a brand new 20 hp Tohatsu on my semi v-hulled skiff. I get around 20-25 mph with my 20 hp Factory Johnson Jet on the boat with two guys rigged for fishing the Deska or Little Su. I am only going to use it the tohatsu prop motor on local lakes and the Kenai for dipnetting, but am worried it is too heavy. Thanks for your insights

I had a 2001 25 hp tohatsu on my 1976 hewescraft river runner, which is 14' long. Great duck boat

I dont know how that is going to run down the Su to the Deshka. During certain times of the year that water is moving pretty good. It takes me 20 minutes or more with a 35hp prop running full open.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I dont know how that is going to run down the Su to the Deshka. During certain times of the year that water is moving pretty good. It takes me 20 minutes or more with a 35hp prop running full open.
    No intentions of taking the 20 hp tohatsu on the river - already have a proven jet pump for that. Just wondering if the 4 stroke tohatsu is too stern heavy, or a big pile to run on lakes and the kenai. 20 hp is plenty on a 4 stroke skiff - especially the light riveted one I have.......

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    No intentions of taking the 20 hp tohatsu on the river - already have a proven jet pump for that. Just wondering if the 4 stroke tohatsu is too stern heavy, or a big pile to run on lakes and the kenai. 20 hp is plenty on a 4 stroke skiff - especially the light riveted one I have.......
    Since you've determined that 20 hp is adequate for your skiff, I'd think about all that's left is to decide on a brand name. They all are within about 10 lbs of each other and if you need a 4 stroke..Kenai..you need one. I have a Tohatsu 6 hp that has been trouble free for years and have yet to meet a disgruntled Tohatsu owner...but as with any brand, I'm sure they are out there. If you find you're a little aft heavy, moving some people/gear/ballast forward as needed solves the ever dynamic weight/balance problem no matter what brand you run.

Copy that. Just throw an anchor or a butt up front and that should help trim it out. I wouldnt think that a 20 would not be too heavy though. I put a 30 on my 16 foot and it is a little aft heavy but someone in a seat or some extra gear helps level it out. A 20 is considerably smaller for most brands. You can really tell the size increase around the 30-40 horse mark goes up exponentially with each HP jump. Ive also noticed that yamaha's are usually the biggest and heaviest in their respective HP range as well.

Thanks for everyone's insights. It looks like I will be getting one soon, but would love to hear from somebody that actually is using one. That is, if anyone is using one......LOL.....

I use a Tohatsu 15 HP on my canoe. I'm guessing it weighs 124# ? I'm very happy with mine; strong, dependable, and tuff.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/3659160645.html Might be of interest to you, Mr. B.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/3659160645.html Might be of interest to you, Mr. B.
    I got a good giggle from that ad...new/never used...dirty as all heck with a worn prop. But other than that...LOL.

BTW, I think a Tohatsu is a good choice...never had a problem with them.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

What's a new one at Marita go for?

The long shaft manual start basic model was around 2500 bucks if I remember correctly.

A good discount though for someone looking for a used one. Possibly worth checking out, but I don't buy that stuff used very often.

This is the worst looking "new" motor Ive ever seen. It must have fallen off the truck, thats why its such a good deal.

Remember that bunch of kicker thefts? I bet those guys sold theirs on CL with words a lot like this one uses:

"I'm selling my brand new tuhotsu motor that I never got the chance to use"

For never being in water this motor sure sounds and looks fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Remember that bunch of kicker thefts? I bet those guys sold theirs on CL with words a lot like this one uses:

"I'm selling my brand new tuhotsu motor that I never got the chance to use"

For never being in water this motor sure sounds and looks fishy.
    Good point. Maybe it should be reported.

I recently purchased a Honda 20 HP long shaft tiller w/o electric start but was first looking at the Merc's (which I believe under 40 or 30 HP are made by Tahatsu) and Don over at Marita quoted $3055 for the no frills long shaft tiller 20 HP Mercury. I assume the Merc's and Tahatsu's are similarly priced.
    The long shaft manual start basic model was around 2500 bucks if I remember correctly.