Thread: Turnagain Pass Questions

Default Turnagain Pass Questions

My bud is trying to convince me to head up to Turnagain this weekend to do some riding. We both have beacons and fairly updated sleds. I looked up the map on the CNFAIC website, and I feel like we have a good idea of where to go.

But I was looking for some advice on maybe where not to go. We are just looking for some nice power and not really interested in huge jumps or risky tracks.

Any tips are much appreciated, as I said neither one of us have been there before.

Thanks.

They've gotten alot of snow this week. I doubt it's "powder," more likely just deep snow. Which, is plenty of fun too, just different riding than pow.

Depending on your skills, you can either play around on the flat area between the highway and the ridge line, or go up and over the ridge. To go up the ridge, out of the parking lot head to your right. As you ride along in that direction (maybe a 1/2 mile or a mile, I forget, it's been while) you will notice the tracks coalescing and heading towards the ridge. The path up to the top will angle up and to the right. It is normally pretty obvious.

Once up on top, you can ride around up there or drop into the Seattle Creek drainage. If I were you, I'd just head down there and figure things out. Check the Chugach Avalanche Center for updates on the danger and proceed accordingly. Oh, and have fun.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to post tonight and give an update on the snow conditions.

Never made it up and over. My machine was acting funny. I think I should have changed the jets for the heigher elavation. But riding was still good down below. Lots of snow but your were right, not powder. Still had lots of fun on the flats.

Welcome to spring riding in the pass. TATERS for all!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed