Thread: 727 landing roll out at Merill

Default 727 landing roll out at Merill

About how much runway did this 727 use on the landing roll out...?
    I am guessing around 2,000 ft total...

Somebody post a nice video on facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....17332645020611
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Pilot stated 2000ft

Always loved the 727....

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

He was really getting on the brakes,,,
    I wonder who was flying that bird? He or she is a good stick...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I had a long conversation with a guy who flew them in and out of Berlin. He said it was an unforgiving bird. That pilot in the video must be amazing.

BTW: top three in my book, 727,dc-3, and dhc-2.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I flew the 727 for several years, loved it. It had brakes like you've never seen. We had nose wheel brakes on some but they took them off because you never got to them , they didn't kick in until you we're at like 2/3's or better effort. You could get in places that you had trouble getting out of, kinda a ground lover when real heavy. The 100's were really fun , very responsive with the speed brakes out you got all 4 ailerons yahoo. It was like a really big fighter. They would do close to 400 on the deck I heard.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I too had the opportunity to fly the B727 from all three seats...What algonquin said...I heard that it said that if you could see the runway under the nose you make the touchdown zone...Speed brakes, flaps and gear that ole girl would glide like a stove...

We got to do a similar set up as the Merrill field arrival many years ago...only difference was after we landed we were towed into the parking area via John Deere 4630 tractor...I sent a picture to my boss and asked if this was a new cost saving procedure!!! Great Job to the boys in purple!!!...and by the way you can tell how much runway they used by the runway threshold markings and the length of the runway...

Correct me if I'm wrong but the one thing that stuck in my mind for its time the climb rate was very good. I just remember to 20000 seemed in under 7 minutes.

Ron

Edwin Hubble

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post

BTW: top three in my book, 727,dc-3, and dhc-2.
    You just won my heart, Ron, by including the deHavilland in your list. :-)

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    He was really getting on the brakes,,,
    I wonder who was flying that bird? He or she is a good stick...
    The Anchorage Daily News had a video posted online with footage of the landing and interview with the captain. He said they trained for it quite a bit in the sim.

This is just, "Super Interesting," hearing you guys talk about this,...really

"Glide like a Stove,.." What a word picture

Oh, How I woulda liked,... to have been a pilot
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

In 2002 ,northwest had their last 727's in service. We were at 34,000 when due to a medical issue we had to land asap. The flight staff came by each seat asking if we were a doctor... the pilot said we would be making a landing and then pushed the nose down and made what seemed like 4 hard turns. The only thing holding me from failing over the seat in front of me was my belt. When he made the last turn he hard threw the wings back right, pulled the nose up and felt the bump of landing. It took less then 9 minutes. The person was taken off the plane and we sat on the military base till we got clearence to take off again, 4 hours later. When we finally got home I asked the pilot how he learned to do what he did..... " I learned flying into fire bases in southeast Asia. " He said it was like his c130. I miss flying in one......

Ron

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by brhrdr View Post
    You just won my heart, Ron, by including the deHavilland in your list. :-)
    One day I may fly one. I have 500 hours on flight simulator x.... it may not be real, but I still reach down to put my flaps down. Put me in a beaver and take me anywhere.... great free feeling sitting up front....

Ron

Edwin Hubble

Here was my take from the parking lot at Reeve's:

Wow, That is Flat-Out Stunning to watch

Now I get what everybody was talking about,..."Impressive Piloting....,"...... is a fair size understatement

Thanks for the video Henny
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !