Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012/13 Delta Bison permit holders

Default 2012/13 Delta Bison permit holders

There are bison to be harvested and they are causing damage on farms out by Gerstle River. Have farmers reporting hay and fences being damaged. They are pleading for folks to harvest them and help save the farms.
    I wished I had a permit but no such luck. I will try to get some contact info and post if possible.
    Steve

I wish to hell I could oblige.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Maybe the farmers could get F&G to allow this years 13/14 permit winners to hunt also!!!!!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I had a bison tag in 2008. I was hunting a large tract of private land and was sharing the ground with another hunter. When he tagged out on the next property over he gave me that land owners contact info. F&G had the owner listed as a "No Call" but when I contacted the owner they told me not only yes to hunting the property but to bring everyone I knew with a tag. The owner had another tract of land that had 90 bison on it milling around and destroying their field. I was going to hunt that property the next day but shot a bison that night on the property they had next door to where I was hunting. I've wondered ever since how F&G develops their "No Call" list.

Wonder how many DLP's and farmer could get away with.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    F&G had the owner listed as a "No Call" but when I contacted the owner they told me not only yes to hunting the property but to bring everyone I knew with a tag.

I've wondered ever since how F&G develops their "No Call" list.
    We ran into the same thing when hunting a friend's tag a few years back. She was more aggressive than I would have been, and in doing so she attained permission to hunt darn near every tract of land up there. As such, we never had to pass up animals spotted on land that we didn't have permission for. To those with this permit in future years, that's a valuable piece of advice - call or knock on doors even if they're not listed on F&G's official list - they'll often say yes.

IMHO Most of those farmers hate those pesky bison...breaking through fences, scaring off livestock, eating food meant for their livestock, destroying their crops, etc. Like Brian says, it's in your best interest to knock on doors, most will gladly let you hunt on their property. Some may have a few requests if you are successful, like...don't leave the bones in the field as it isn't good for the farm equipment hitting them...maybe offer a few steaks, that's always a good trade for hunting on private property.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Good info. Keep it coming if you got more.

I had the same issue in 2010 when I drew the tag. I don't think fish and game updates that list very often. It's just kind of like I big scavenger hunt. It is alot of fun though. You will meet alot of great people on the delta hunt.

Bison currently on my family's farm - just tore down a fence and causing mass havoc. 10 times putting in for drawing and can't get a tag to save my family money fixing fences while people who are drawn aren't hunting...

One of my co-workers drew, I'll mention it to him if you would like.

A friend and I both have cow tags, if you can give us contacts we would be more than willing to help out.

A friend and I have cow tags and would be more than willing to help out, have gun will travel. We just need contact information for the farmers having the buffalo problems!

The farmers in delta have always been friendly to me when up there hunting. Most of them do charge a 350 fee if you kill a bison but that doesn't bother me. I would not likely pay a trespass fee on the offchance of being successful but a harvest fee of 350 on a big old bison with all that good meat isn't unreasonable to me. Good places to check with the landowners are on Cummings road and sawmill creek road. If you take a snow machine be aware that the bison spook from a very one distance at the sound of a snow machine in my experience. Hunt on foot and when you get your animal down, then take out the snow machine to pack the thing back to the road. I have about 100 pounds of meat left in freezer from a bull I helped a buddy get last march. If you have a tag you want to do everything possible to get your bison. Do not miss the chance for that good meat or a great winter coat bison hide.

I drew for next season 2013-2014 so will be looking for all the info and help I can get so thanks for the posts about this!

My boss has a cow tag and interested in contact info. Off on Thursday ready to hunt.

There are several farms out toward the end of barley way road that are good. Also good spots on Cummings road and sawmill creek road. Diana Schultz, Jim and Nadine black, are a couple good landowners to contact. There are many others as well. I recommend heading to delta to hunt and then stopping in at different farms to ask permission in person. Much better than phoning folks for permission. Focus on the farms that adjoin the Eastern portion of the Clearwater bog or the gerstle river.

I had only a couple that wanted to charge any $. Got mine and was thanked for saving his hay.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

i drew delta bull bison this year! super excited to help oit some farmers
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Ill live vicariously through the permit holders

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast