Thread: What to use and Where to use it?

Default What to use and Where to use it?

My Wife and I are making a trip up to Alaska in July from the 4th-12th. we are driving in this order Anchorage>Seward>Homer>Cooper Landing (2 days)>alyeska>Talkeetna>Denali (2 days).

I want to do a lot of river and creek fishing while there. I have recently gotten into fly fishing about a year ago and I bought a White river dogwood setup from BPS #8. My question is should I put a nicer reel on that rod for the larger salmon and trout and hope for the best. Or should I buy a nice Reel and Rod in a #6 and fish with it a majority of the time, and I can have a, "not so nice", 8 weight to taget bigger fish.

My concern is, I do not want to buy another 8 weight rod because in Oklahoma the trout I am going for are perfect for a 5 to 6 weight and I would never have a need for an 8 weight here. I just want to know if a 6 weight set up and 8 weight is going to cover all or most of my basis in Alaska. Id love to catch some Kings. but I think that I would need a larger set up. I am bringing a spinning set up for my wife and I will bring 2 reels one for smaller trout and some braid for the larger Sockeyes and Kings if we get into them.

2nd part of all this is what can I target and where to target? I do not need specific holes I just want to know What parts of what rivers should i fish in for tha time frame. I want to get the most bang for my buck and focus on quantity for my wife. we are doing a halibut trip out of Ninilchik and I will get my fill of big fish. We are wanting to do a majority DIY fishing. Wouldnt mind getting a guide but would rather not spend the cash. Also- waders or no waders? can we successfully fish from the bank or wade in in WP boots?

Thanks for all the info guys I want to make this a great trip and do it right. money is not really an object but i dont want to spend it just to spend it.

well that is a lot of questions…………first off, start with getting books, like the (Alaskan) Hwy Angler……….or books about fishing alaska's road system. That will tell you were to go, what to use and what is in the river that time of year. Most places you can fish from the bank but it is a good idea to have waders……(hip boots) as you might call them. A 6 wt is fine for trout up here, and so is the 8 wt for salmon. I have never heard of that reel you were talking about but if it works use it,but always bring a back up. At the time of year you are going to be here the fish most present will be reds and chums, maybe kings if they show up?! But since you are driving up north through the interior there is good trout fishing and pike fishing up there. If you really want to fish kings most people fish for kings on the Kenai or Kasilof rivers I say them because the Big Su streams might not be open to kings this year.……..trips are not a lot of money but we have had very poor returns for about the last 5 years I am guessing???????? So your time might be better spent on charters out of homer and seward for halibut and ling cod. As for seward you can fish for silvers that time of year on charters as well. So as you can see there is a lot open to you at the time you will be here, you need to figure out what you want to do and go from there, not to mention you aren't really here long enough to do much, I suspect you will be spending most of your time driving……………instead of fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    well that is a lot of questions…………first off, start with getting books, like the (Alaskan) Hwy Angler……….or books about fishing alaska's road system. That will tell you were to go, what to use and what is in the river that time of year. Most places you can fish from the bank but it is a good idea to have waders……(hip boots) as you might call them. A 6 wt is fine for trout up here, and so is the 8 wt for salmon. I have never heard of that reel you were talking about but if it works use it,but always bring a back up. At the time of year you are going to be here the fish most present will be reds and chums, maybe kings if they show up?! But since you are driving up north through the interior there is good trout fishing and pike fishing up there. If you really want to fish kings most people fish for kings on the Kenai or Kasilof rivers I say them because the Big Su streams might not be open to kings this year.……..trips are not a lot of money but we have had very poor returns for about the last 5 years I am guessing???????? So your time might be better spent on charters out of homer and seward for halibut and ling cod. As for seward you can fish for silvers that time of year on charters as well. So as you can see there is a lot open to you at the time you will be here, you need to figure out what you want to do and go from there, not to mention you aren't really here long enough to do much, I suspect you will be spending most of your time driving……………instead of fishing.

Thanks for the advice. Will look into some of they books. I bought a TFO TiCr 7 weight yesterday and I will use it mostly and keep the 8 weight on standby for bigger fish. Thanks again.

You are covering a ton of ground. I would try to pick one area and spend a day there rather than trying to hit as many holes as possible. Your going to be around cooper landing so that would be a good place to spend a day fishing for trout and maybe some salmon that are hanging out. The russian isnt far from there and that is another good trout area and a great place to see some bears if your into that sort of thing. The first run of reds will pretty much be through there at that time but there may still be some in the river. Not sure about the dates for targeting them though. I personally wouldnt waste my time trying to catch a king especially that late in the season as their returns have been less than fantastic and chasing kings can consume a lot of time.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.