Thread: Matsu trout/dollies in 10 days

Default Matsu trout/dollies in 10 days

I'm hoping to do some trout/dolly fishing in the area by the end of next week. It'll be my first trip to Alaska. I'm currently in Ohio but coming to Anchorage for a medical conference. Do you guys think there will be some good catch and release river fishing by that time?

My tentative plan is to fish the area South of Talkeetna and around Willow in those streams there.

I'm probably going to rent a car in Anchorage and drive north and hit as much good looking water as I can in a day or two. Mix in some spinner or fly fishing in the region lakes and nymph/streamer fishing the rivers. Any suggestions or advice?

If anyone's interested in coming along I'd be up for a fishing partner.

Should be some Rainbows in Willow and Montana Creeks; not sure about the other Parks streams, but I'd imagine they've got 'em too. For $60 (I think thast's their going rate now), Mahay's in Talkeetna will drop you off at Clear Creek...decent Rainbow fishing up there in late May. You might even try the Little Su for Kings, although it's still a bit early for good fishing.

Streams in the Palmer/Wasilla area are closed to fishing until June 14th, so you have to get North of Willow Creek, with a couple exceptions.

If you get the opportunity to extend your stay into mid-June, you'll be able to get into some good King fishing.

Good luck!

I can't find much info on Clear Creek, is it worth the $60 ride?

I've also seen the maps of the numerous small lakes in the area and hear there are some pike to be had.

I'd probably chase some Salmon, even though I know the main run doesn't come for a few weeks after that, but wouldn't know how to do it really. The only salmon I've caught were on a #2 gold vibrax spinner walking the banks of the Salmon river casting for trout. What an experience.

Clear Creek is up the Talkeetna River. I have never fished it for trout but if you've never jetboated in AK I would think that it would definetly be worth it. It's not a long ride but sure is fun. If your going to be chasing salmon, you would do better just dreaming about them Its still to early, the ice just went out. They only chance at salmon right now is around the Kenai and it doesn't sound like there are to many right now. As already stated be sure to stay off the flowing waters in the Palmer/Wasilla area. If your going to be between Willow and Talkeetna you'll be alright just don't count on any salmon. It's to bad your trip couldn't have been in June.

clear creek is definitely worth the $60 round trip drop off fee. it gets you a little bit off the beaten path (although there are likely to be a few others there) and fishing can be good for dollies, rainbows, and grayling. it also gives you a jet boat experience on the little susitna, which is pretty cool for someone who hasn't done it before. i'd certainly recommend it
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    clear creek is definitely worth the $60 round trip drop off fee. it gets you a little bit off the beaten path (although there are likely to be a few others there) and fishing can be good for dollies, rainbows, and grayling. it also gives you a jet boat experience on the little susitna, which is pretty cool for someone who hasn't done it before. i'd certainly recommend it
    Have I been reading my maps upside down all this time or is Clear Creek really on the Little Susitna

my fault... not sure why i said little su (brain fart i guess). yes, it's the talkeetna that it runs into. thanks for mocking my bighorn.
    Mark W.
    www.akfishology.com

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    my fault... not sure why i said little su (brain fart i guess). yes, it's the talkeetna that it runs into. thanks for mocking my bighorn.
    Mark W.

What kind of cad mocks a mans bighorn?

Sorry Mark...I just couldn't resist..<grin>
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

correction..... my = me
    www.akfishology.com

I didn't exactly intend to mock you but I was wondering if I was missing something. I do a good enough job on my own with brain farts so I was hoping I wasn't having one. There are enough rivers and creeks in AK that have the same name like Fish Creek and Fish Creek

Have any of you guys actually fished Clear Creek in May? I just don't want to fork over the cash for poor fishing and an expensive boat ride.

Also, I plan to fish vibrax spinners if the flyrodding is poor. What size nymphs do you use? I have quite the assortment though so I guess I can probably figure it out myself.

i have fished it in may, but only once.... so i'm not exactly going off of years of experience here. the time i went (about 4 years ago) the fishing was good, but not necessarily spectacular. there was one evening when throwing a smolt pattern into a small pool pulled each and every fish out of there (about 12 of them between 10 and 18 inches)but other than that it was slow but steady.... but keep in mind that it's may and good trout fishing can be somewhat hard to come by because many southcentral streams are closed. i think clear creek is about as good as it gets in may. fishing lakes would be the other option, but personally, i'd rather catch a few fish from a stream than a dozen from stillwater.
    factor in all this, plus the cool boat ride and relative seclusion.... i'd goto clear creek, but maybe that's just me.
    Mark W.
    www.akfishology.com

Default Yup

I caught a buncha smallish rainbows on a flyrod the one time I went there in May 1998.

Did any of you guys catch dollies or grayling during your trips up there?

I am leaning more and more for going to clear creek as I talk to people in Anchorage. Not 100% sure yet.

Personally I'd go to Troublesome Creek or Byers Creek as the first priority. Gray's, Montana, and Willow would be second tier. Choose a creek where you can access the mouth where it drains into a big river. That's where the fish will be.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I didn't exactly intend to mock you but I was wondering if I was missing something. I do a good enough job on my own with brain farts so I was hoping I wasn't having one. There are enough rivers and creeks in AK that have the same name like Fish Creek and Fish Creek
    28 fish creeks and 21 clear creeks in the state of Alaska(Curiosity got hold of me )

Will the fish in Montana, Willow creek, etc.. be hanging out right at the mouth or are there resident fish that hang out throughout the system?

They'll be in walking distance from where you park. Just walk down to the river and start flingin' stuff at 'em. Probably egg sucking leeches, purple or black. Or smolt.