Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayaks at Costco

Default Kayaks at Costco

I just purchased 2 of these Equinox kayaks (the yellow one) from Costco to put on top of my boat for use in PWS, and to use while road camping. Spoiled one had one when I rafted up next to him last year, and I thought "if its good enough for him, its good enough for me" I thought that the kids would like them, and it would make quick work taking the dog to shore. They are priced at $350. It comes with an oar also. The reviews seem to be good, but if anyone has something to share, that would be great. They still have them in stock, but if you are interested, I would move quickly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ha! Funny man. I actually have two of them. You must not have been seeing straight that evening. I picked a pair of them up on CL about this time last year for $500. The wife and kids really like them, but I have a tough time getting my 6'6" lanky ass in them. I am really impressed how stable they are. We have yet to take a dip getting in or out of them. I am sure it will happen, though!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Well, I'm not 6'6", but according to my weight I should be. And yes, if anything, I should have saw four of them that night. Hopefully they will work good for me.

I have been wanting them as well. Planned on getting them this spring but just bought a windlass so I will have to wait and see.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    Well, I'm not 6'6", but according to my weight I should be. And yes, if anything, I should have saw four of them that night. Hopefully they will work good for me.
    You will enjoy them for sure. We need to meet at the "spot" again. We had a good time.

Refresh my memory, Just where is that SPOT again? I'll have to swing in a pick up a couple of those too. Thanks for the heads up.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Refresh my memory, Just where is that SPOT again? I'll have to swing in a pick up a couple of those too. Thanks for the heads up.
    Head out of the Whittier harbor and take a right. Once you see Soundfisher and I rafted up, you will know you are at the SPOT.

LOL. Oh yeah, that's right. I was thinking it was a left.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Head out of the Whittier harbor and take a right. Once you see Soundfisher and I rafted up, you will know you are at the SPOT.
    Since I installed the GPS tracker on your boat it's been much easier to find.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

The orange sit-on-tops are even more resistant to roll and easier to get into and out of, but you need to wear rainpants or get a wet butt. They also are self-bailing. The ones at COSTCO are tandem (double), Spoiled One could use both places and fit just right Speaking of that guy, nice new avatar, reminds me of a Farside cartoon with little letters at bottom of picture saying "object in mirror may be closer than it appears"

Was looking at them the other day...wonder if they could work spring bear hunting? Would think I could slide one in the water quicker than pulling the dinghy off the hard top, getting the OUtboard on, and so forth.....hmmmmm..
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Kayaks have a long history in Alaska for hunting
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

we picked one up last year it worked great. Also some freinds picked up two they have had no proplems lots of fun

A kayak is not a boat that means you can shoot a bear from one in 6D right....... just kidding

Those equinox kayaks are really good. I can't swim and would have never dreamed of going in a kayak, but I couldn't flip it over, so really enjoyed it. Going to buy a pair to do some hunting in and river floats.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Those equinox kayaks are really good. I can't swim and would have never dreamed of going in a kayak, but I couldn't flip it over, so really enjoyed it. Going to buy a pair to do some hunting in and river floats.
    Thats good to hear. My kids will use them, and though they can swim it's good that they are that stabile especially for ocean use. Thanks for the feedback.

Capt.Ron, they only had the sit inside ones so it made my choice easy.

SIS (sit in-side) or SOT, either way the stability amazes you if you are used to scary, tippy canoes---unless you are a canoe expert, I guess. Those particular SIS kayaks look like it would be easy to get out if you did flip, vs the ones with tight fit where you have to do an "eskimo roll" or drown...the low center of gravity plus the hull design makes them so stable. Only time I flipped in my SOT was in surf, right when I got to beach no matter what I did I would turn broadside and get dumped...had to get out anyway, so no problem. With the SOT you can run up on the beach when it is calm, and go forward from your seat easily to get to beach, whereas with SIS you have to step into water getting out...at the beach anyway, at a boat extended transom or swim platform, you can get right out of either onto the boat, at least when it is relatively calm.

My wife used to be a white water guide and some sea kayak guiding. We were in Costco the other day and I mentioned the inexpensive kayaks! I won't say what she said...heeheehee. But then she gets to pro deal all the top brands etc. BTW I really wouldn't be in a kayak or raft unless I was wearing my dry suit. She bought me the fishermen version dry from Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Paddling suit. I can say this I like being warm, dry and some what safe. You can go with rain suits and such but if your main boat is far away or you're on a muscle event and no power around get one, you won't be disappointed.

There is another brand as well, its made by native. They are a little more money but extremely stable and come in camo print (everything is cooler in camo print). My buddy has a pair and you can stand in em and fish. We've used em for hunting and fishing. Ive shot out of them at ducks and hauled in a 20lb king in one and was thoroughly impressed with their performance. They also track really well and are exponentially easier to paddle and steer than the kayaks I rented from REI last summer.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by sisusuomi View Post
    My wife used to be a white water guide and some sea kayak guiding. We were in Costco the other day and I mentioned the inexpensive kayaks! I won't say what she said...heeheehee. But then she gets to pro deal all the top brands etc. BTW I really wouldn't be in a kayak or raft unless I was wearing my dry suit. She bought me the fishermen version dry from Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Paddling suit. I can say this I like being warm, dry and some what safe. You can go with rain suits and such but if your main boat is far away or you're on a muscle event and no power around get one, you won't be disappointed.
    I was wondering about a dry suit.. I've been warned not to swim in any open water. I don't have a dry or wet suit.. I was wondering if I needed to add that to my gear for my summer adventures..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast