Thread: Land closures for snowmobiles

Angry Land closures for snowmobiles

Are you aware of the proposed land closures the Feds are proposing here in Eastern Prince William Sound?
    I say land closures, although they are just saying "closed to snowmobiles" but open for subsistence.As you know we are not allowed subsistence hunting etc.here in Valdez.
    There is no other access to the land closures proposed other than snowmobiles, (they say no helicopters also).
    That's why I'm obviously calling this a LAND CLOSURE.
    I thought these were public lands that were guarunteed public access?
    There is a meeting tonight here in Valdez at the college 6:30 pm
    You can a get copy of the proposed closure here>mailto:amorse@fs.fed.us

Are you talking about this closure?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5351276.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by akfury View Post
    There is no other access to the land closures proposed other than snowmobiles, (they say no helicopters also).

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that you can ONLY get there by snowmachine or helicopter? You can't hike in, ski in, access by boat, etc...?

Quote Originally Posted by akfury View Post
    That's why I'm obviously calling this a LAND CLOSURE.
    I thought these were public lands that were guarunteed public access?
    Are they denying public access, or snowmachine access?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I think he's talking about the Chugach National Forest Plan revision. The forest service is looking at revising their forest plan and are seeking input. They've been holding public meetings around southcentral all month and tonight there is a meeting in Valdez. It would behoove us all to participate and provide input on maintaining areas opened to snowmachines in the forest. Here's some info:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chugac...TELPRDB5408185

This is a handy-dandy guide to motorized use on public land: http://www.alaskaquietrights.org/laws-and-regs/
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

That link is interesting in that it is on a website of a group that, I'm sure, would be estatic if snowmachines were completely banned from everywhere.

Yeah....

Sometimes it feels as if someone wants to ban or register or restrict just about everything.

If I were in Valdez, i would be over at the college voicing my concerns.

However considering this is a federal proposal....I doubt it would me much good....

Maybe when this effects more of the populace ..... people will wake up.

i'm not familiar with PWS area but after reading the closure preference to subsis users seems obvious. I would be a little upset that i couldn't go riding but someone else can on "public land". closure to snowmobiles is nothing new in the lower 48 mostly due to wildlife security. Tearing around in critical winter range chasing around the already stressed animals doesn't do anyone any favors but in a lot of cases good snow and riding is well above winter range elevation. this is a crazy restriction they're passing. if you're going to restrict travel that it has to be for all or none. i'd be pissed.

Where do you find what areas are slated for closures and what areas are not? I can't seem to find that information anywhere.... I am of the understanding that they are currently just trying to get input on how people use the areas (i.e. a general concensus of use). If there is reccomendations for closures available somewhere, can someone please make that available to others?

gpaul