Thread: Leupold CDS elevation turrret

Default Leupold CDS elevation turrret

been researching this alot lately. i think this will be right up my alley. Im goin to try to get my 130 tsx shootin well outta 270 wsm zero at 200 then call the custom shop with all the 130's info. I think im goin to go with the 4.5-14x40mm vx-3 scope, then when i get a round shootin well, have the cds made. anyone have any experience with this style turret? i think i would prefer this over the m1, due to it has a one revolution max, which i heard with most calibers will get you out to 600-700 yds. it also has a zero stop, which seems nice, makin it very easy and quick to get back on your zero..i would like to try it out with the 270 short, and if i like it, get one for the 300 wby. any thought/info appreciated. Also, anyone know if this is vx-II 4-12x40 compatible?? ps i do realize the downside is that you are limited to one bullet once you get it installed on your rifle. thank you

Not to long ago I put the VX-3 4.5-14x40 on my 338-06AI. I got the CDS dial back from Leupold but haven't put it on yet. It goes to 625 or 650 yds, can't remember now. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. If you want to switch loads I think, If I remember right Leupold charges $60 for a new dial. As far as the VX-II you mentioned, it would be compatible but it is fairly expensive to have one converted. You'd be better off to sell that scope and buy a new one with the CDS.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I have 2 with the CDS and have found them very effective. Yes the 4x12x40 is available with CDS.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Leupo...h-All+Products

FYI you can just mark the dial that comes with it to use it at known ranges, zero at 200 and then make a mark for 300, 400 etc... You just will not have the zero stop. Also this company will make turrets for scopes without CDS.

http://kentonindustries.com/category/custom-turrets
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have 2 with the CDS and have found them very effective. Yes the 4x12x40 is available with CDS.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Leupo...h-All+Products

FYI you can just mark the dial that comes with it to use it at known ranges, zero at 200 and then make a mark for 300, 400 etc... You just will not have the zero stop. Also this company will make turrets for scopes without CDS.

http://kentonindustries.com/category/custom-turrets
    i was kinda thinkin i would like the zero stop. this seems perfect as 600ish yards is plenty far for me. nice not havin to guess how far to aim high..as in any caliber over 400 yards they start droppin dramtically. have you had any issues with the allen screws backin out or coming loose, that hold the dial on? someone told me to lock tite them...but i want to really think about that, prolly wont ever get them back out..

also, will it work at any magnification on your scope power. for example if i have the turret adjusted for 400 @ say 8 power on scope and suddenly want to go to 14 power will this throw it off??

steve, what calibers do you have them on? and how far out are they accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    i was kinda thinkin i would like the zero stop. this seems perfect as 600ish yards is plenty far for me. nice not havin to guess how far to aim high..as in any caliber over 400 yards they start droppin dramtically. have you had any issues with the allen screws backin out or coming loose, that hold the dial on? someone told me to lock tite them...but i want to really think about that, prolly wont ever get them back out..
    I loctite all my scope screws including the turrets and have never had trouble with them coming loose or taking them off when needed.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

You dont have an issue switching powers on your scope do you steve?

it adjusts by physically moving the cross-hairs, the ballistic reticles are the ones that have to be at a particular power setting. If your rifle is currently accurate at all zoom levels then it will be with the CDS as well.

I am going to talk to Kenton about just putting a dial together with MOA adjustment marks on their hunting turret. With that and a good old fashioned drop chart it would be possible to adjust for any new load using the same dial rather than having to get a new dial made every time you changed.

been researching this alot lately. i think this will be right up my alley. Im goin to try to get my 130 tsx shootin well outta 270 wsm zero at 200 then call the custom shop with all the 130's info. I think im goin to go with the 4.5-14x40mm vx-3 scope, then when i get a round shootin well, have the cds made. anyone have any experience with this style turret? i think i would prefer this over the m1, due to it has a one revolution max, which i heard with most calibers will get you out to 600-700 yds. it also has a zero stop, which seems nice, makin it very easy and quick to get back on your zero..i would like to try it out with the 270 short, and if i like it, get one for the 300 wby. any thought/info appreciated. Also, anyone know if this is vx-II 4-12x40 compatible?? ps i do realize the downside is that you are limited to one bullet once you get it installed on your rifle. thank you
    I've not yet found a downside to turrets, but there probably are a few. I've one scope with CDS and 4 scopes setup with M1s and I'm not interested in acquiring any other CDS scopes. The M1 is MUCH easier to read and to spin from shooting positions. It does stick out a bit, but I've lugged them through alders and brush and a few mountains without any issue. So far as I'm aware, Leupold doesn't offer any type of ballistic cap for an M1, but with some time at the range a dope card is easy to make and real world shooting is the only way to know trajectories. I've said it before, if you like the idea of being able to spin a turret, but probably won't spin very often, then the CDS may be perfect. However, if you intend to spin turrets for LR shooting, then M1 turrets are the way to go on a Leupold. As for the one revolution aspect, my CDS doesn't have a zero stop so I can max out the elevation just as I can with my M1s.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Nikon has come out with a 3x14x40 for the 223 and there is one for the 308as well. They have the CDS turrets and Nikon has them priced pretty well in theball park. I would think you would be able to get intouch with Nikon and getturrets made for the cal you are using.
    Nikon M-308 4-16x42 SF Matte BDC
    The price is well below what a Mark 4 will run you, i have a Mark 4 and a VXIII they are both great scopes but a bit more that i am willing to carry out in the AK field. I do carry the VX III out on some hunts but the Mark 4 does not go out plus itís just too much to carry with the rifle that it's mounted on as well. I just purchased the Nikon 3x14 with the CDS turrets for 223/ 5.56 and they adjust out to 600yrds. That is the max for that cal anyway and i have been pleased with the glass as well. Very clear and draw of light was as good as Leupold and i have aways been a strong Leupold owner.
    Last edited by sweepint; 02-28-2013 at 22:19. Reason: spelling error

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Nikon has come out with a 3x14x40 for the 223 and there is one for the 308as well. They have the CDS turrets and Nikon has them priced pretty well in theball park. I would think you would be able to get intouch with Nikon and getturrets made for the cal you are using.
    Nikon M-308 4-16x42 SF Matte BDC
    The price is well below what a Mark 4 will run you, i have a Mark 4 and a VXIII they are both great scopes but a bit more that i am willing to carry out in the AK field. I do carry the VX III out on some hunts but the Mark 4 does not go out plus itís just too much to carry with the rifle that it's mounted on as well. I just purchased the Nikon 3x14 with the CDS turrets for 223/ 5.56 and they adjust out to 600yrds. That is the max for that cal anyway and i have been pleased with the glass as well. Very clear and draw of light was as good as Leupold and i have aways been a strong Leupold owner.
    I plan on puttin my scoped on..finding a bullet the gun really likes, then callin the lupe custom shop
    and tellin the caliber, bc, weight, av elevation/temp and have them make one for that setup. Then when it
    arrives remove the factory dial and replace it with the cds. That is atleast how i understand how the cds works

I also heard that you tell them where your zeroed at and they will put a zero stop on there(which i want)..also heard they are only good for one revolution..which is all i want. I plan on puttin this on a vx-3 4.5-14x40

If you have an accurate, consistent load and can shoot long distance accurately, are able to make the appropriate adjustments for elevation or declination and make appropriate corrections for any wind, then it is just a dial and shoot proposition. I have found the CDS dials on Mark 4 scopes to perform as advertised.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I also heard that you tell them where your zeroed at and they will put a zero stop on there(which i want)..also heard they are only good for one revolution..which is all i want. I plan on puttin this on a vx-3 4.5-14x40
    If I remember correctly my Leupy CDS scope zero starts at 200 yards and I can't turn it below that - not that it would be needed anyway. Very accurate rig on my 280 shooting 140 gr bullets....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    If I remember correctly my Leupy CDS scope zero starts at 200 yards and I can't turn it below that - not that it would be needed anyway. Very accurate rig on my 280 shooting 140 gr bullets....
    Good to hear! Thanks for all the advice