Thread: Bowhunting Eklutna Black Bears

Default Bowhunting Eklutna Black Bears

Has anyone ever hunted black bears in the Eklutna bow hunting only area? I am thinking about doing it this fall in September and was looking for feedback from anyone who has done it. It sounds like a lot of hikers and sheep/moose hunters see black bears and from all accounts they are in the area but haven’t heard of anyone actually chasing them with bow and arrow. Maybe it is because as a resident most people would rather spend their fall chasing moose, sheep, goat, brown bear, etc… Come to think of it I was a resident for 3 years and never once thought of hunting black bears. Anyway just wondered what the thoughts of this hunt were from people who have done it. My plan would be to get up into the alpine and stay there for 4 or so days trying to get away from the main trails and day hikers.

In the fall they are up feeding on the berries. Watch the wind, they are pretty occupied when feeding on berries. Plenty of bears, one just has to be willing to get above tree line. North side of the lake there is a trail that will take up up. South side, well lets just say its a little thick. Once you get up you won't run into too many people. Beautiful country up there from a ridge. Good luck!

I've hunted both the spring and fall in the Eklutna area. Went up there around the middle of may. There were bears out. Chased a few around but w/o any success with the bow. In the fall (mid September) there seamed to be more bear activity on the hillsides. Evenings are best. Get up on the sides of the mountains and watch. As with most bear hunting, pick a spot and stick to glassing it all day. The less you move the more likely you are to see bears. I'd hunt it in the spring again but not the fall.

Thanks for the input. What is your reason for not wanting to hunt it in the fall again?

Quote Originally Posted by jason.schack View Post
    Thanks for the input. What is your reason for not wanting to hunt it in the fall again?
    I have chased them around a out there myself.. while they were high and eating berries (would have been a few EASY kills with a rifle).. If you want to take a few days off and go up there this spring or fall feel free to send me a PM. I usually hunt alone and wouldn't mind going with a partner a few times. I also have an ATV. mark.