Thread: Volunteers for freight haul!

Default Volunteers for freight haul!

Looking for volunteers for a freight haul to Hiline lake for Jenny Lamb and her family. Long haul of about 70 miles from Deshka Landing so I figure the more sleds the better for the challange. Jenny will feed us and put us up for the night in a cabin after we get there. Dont have a date yet but hope to soon. If interested you can PM Bigbend on this forum or call me at 733-1559.

Thanks, Mike

When are you planning this Mike? Date and time.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    When are you planning this Mike? Date and time.
    Hopefully within the next two weeks. Bigbend is putting the package together and Jenny will be flying in soon. Talked to Chris at the Tal view and he said the trail looks good for now!

Type, volume, and estimated weight of freight?

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    Type, volume, and estimated weight of freight?
    Not sure yet, I know that there is metal roofing, lumber and around 240 gal of gas. Should know more soon. As far as the date I would think it has to be within the next 2 weeks. I will talk to Bigbend today and see if we cant nail something down. I would think the more volunteers the less weight per a sled would be wise given the location and conditions!

Thanks.

I'm extremely busy gearing up for our annual outing, finishing three or four sleds, etc., and live to the north a fair ways from where you folks would apparently be staging for departure, but the prospect of seeing some new country sounds at least a bit intriguing.

Is there any idea yet as to how much suspect river crossing (thin ice/overflow) there's apt to be?

I corresponded with a forum member after I posted the initial inquiry, and they'd stated that there seemed to be the probability/possibility that there'd be quite a few machines and sleds.

I'm limited to a 136" track and a twin cylinder/twin carb that runs pretty well, but it's certainly no freighter... Though we've given it a run for its money a time or two..

Otherwise I've got my old trusty Tundra II-R, which, while slow, small, and noisy, and possessing only the single cylinder, has proven itself as a freight hauler, as long as the load doesn't make it turn purple and suffer a cardiac arrest..

I'll follow the thread and see if time and money permit me to take yet one more tangential side-journey this year.

I'm currently committed to taking some freight out to a friend in the Ak Range soon, and heading for the Wrangell-St. Elias Range near the end of the month, but who knows??

Bigbend is estimating around 8,500 lbs of material so far. Lumber and metal roofing and some windows. Could go up to 11,000 lbs of material also. I figure at least 10 to 12 volunteers would be great That way we can all help each other. Trail breakers would be great too!. Lots of snow up there and hills so the less on each sled the better. I have three sleds myself and maybe more going from Alexander. Would like to haul a couple of hundred gallons of gas to Jenny if posible also. Will get with Bigbend and set a date depending on weather of course. Thinking the middle of March would be best.

If you can help Jenny please e-mail me at blackfox@mtaonline.net or bptlcmason@hotmail.com. You can also call me at 733-1559. I am hauling during the day so after 6pm would be best.

Thanks,
    Mike

To the forum member that was inquiring about volunteering his Boy Scout troop to help Jenny. Could you PM me. I cant seem to find your message?

Thanks, Mike

Mike needs more people to haul freight.

Have they firmed up dates yet for this? Is there a trail in yet or does it still need to be broken in? Looking at Google earth, it looks like Yentna/Skwentna/Talchulitna rivers is the best route. I know there is trail as far as the mouth of the Talchulitna but not sure what is between there and Hiline Lake. I have an M8, so can't tow much. But, I can break trail if needed and help load/unload/unstick freight sleds. However, I can only go on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Have they firmed up dates yet for this? Is there a trail in yet or does it still need to be broken in? Looking at Google earth, it looks like Yentna/Skwentna/Talchulitna rivers is the best route. I know there is trail as far as the mouth of the Talchulitna but not sure what is between there and Hiline Lake. I have an M8, so can't tow much. But, I can break trail if needed and help load/unload/unstick freight sleds. However, I can only go on weekends.

NRick, we are looking at March 23 and 24th so far. Macgyver has been checking into the route with Chris at the Tal. This Saturday we are thinking about checking out the Southern route since some one has been that way. I live on Alexander so not far from there. Been busy with commitments with my freight hauling business so tough to get everything into each day, Thanks to Macgyver for doing some footwork for all of us!!! Mybe we can get some people to check the norhtern route and we will check the Southern route and with any luck we can make a go of it next weekend? If anyone wants to go with us on saturday call me at 733-1559 and I tell you where to meet. Bring plenty of gas and I will pull the gas to the foothills and go from there. We have Jenny's gas and some of the lumber in our lot in Pt. Mac so we can haul our loads either way wihtout having to go all the way to Deshka Lnd. The rest of the lumber and materials will be delivered to Deshka Lnd. By AKDoug when we are ready to load. Any questions or advice call me. I will be home by 6 or 7 every night. Thanks to BigBend, Mcgyver, and AKDoug for their work, without them this wouldnt be possible!!!