Thread: AWESOME! Maybe better said - IMPRESSIVE!!

Default AWESOME! Maybe better said - IMPRESSIVE!!

AWESOME! Maybe better said - IMPRESSIVE!!!
    Thor’s Hammer

What an interesting, exciting and encouraging day at the range testing my Custom 300WBY mag and the 240gr Woodleigh bullet. I also tested the same bullet in my Kimber 30-06. Got all set up, targets arranged, rifle ready, my clock set up so I could see how long between shots. I started going through my mind the load process the night before knowing I had weighed each bullet, prepared each piece of brass and seated my bullet just off the rifling. Yes, I was ready! No, not really! When I pulled myself up to the bench and put the 300WBY to my shoulder, knowing there was a 240gr bullet fixing to exit the end of my barrel, I said to myself, “Mike, do you really, really want to pull this tigger?” Before I answered myself the finely tuned trigger released a freight train out the other end of my barrel. It hit the target and slammed the wet earth bank like a pile driver and through dirt everywhere. It started raining all of a sudden as the blast from the 300 sent a shock wave that brought all the condensation from the metal roof above me down on my rifle and every thing was wet. I decided right then and there, what I was going to name my new rifle. That’s right! “THOR’S HAMMER!”
    Yet, to my surprise and delight was the fact that the felt recoil was no greater than a 180gr Partiton from my Ruger# 1 in 300WBY. I said, “hey, now that is just to cool!” You might ask me if a Bansner muzzle brake works and if it is wonderful to have one, and my answer after today is on some rifles, “absolutely!” In fact when I shot this same bullet out of my 30-06 Kimber 8400, it was like shooting a 200gr out of my other two 06’s. So Kimber’s stock design really works as advertised. I shot all morning switching between rifles so as to allow them time to cool properly between groups even thought I waited for three minutes between each individual shot. I needed to make sure I did not shoot the 300WBY hot. Not only to save barrel life but I was also breaking it in the 26" #2 shilen.
    The 30-06 I was able to get 2401fps on average but only 1 ¾ inch group being the best. I was only using 4350 and there were no pressure signs with my loads. I am not at max yet but very close, just taking my time and working up. Will try a few other powders soon.
    Now the 300WBY was quite impressive. With IMR7828 I reach 2708fps and shot a 3/8 inch group. Also with Norma MRP I reached a smoking 2761 shooting a 1 ½ inch group but pulled the third round on this group so will have to shoot it again. Neither group was at max and I will work up to that slowly if at all. Now RL-25 disappointed me in accuracy but that did not surprise me. Will be trying some other powders soon. I cannot impress upon you all just how awesome and powerful and at the same time how easy this rifle and round was to shoot much less reload. It will be another three weeks because of work before I can resume my testing but this test today is really encouraging. WOW what a rifle (Thor’s Hammer) and what a load (the spirit of Thor).
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Imr7828 Was 7/8 Not 3/8
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

3 or 5 shot groups?

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    3 or 5 shot groups?
    3 shot groups to hold down on cost and to hold down on the time it takes to wait between shots so as not to run into the heat of the day.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default 300 WBY twist rate?

What is the twist rate of the 300 Weatherby? I'm wondering because I would like to know if perhaps that may relate to the accuracy you obtained with the heavy bullet.

I want to try some heavy bullets (220 - 240 gr) in a 308 Norma mag, or a 300 H&H, and have thought that 10" twist would be suitable. I seem to remember that the WBY is slower than that, but my memory may not be correct.

Thanks,

KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kabluewy View Post
    What is the twist rate of the 300 Weatherby? I'm wondering because I would like to know if perhaps that may relate to the accuracy you obtained with the heavy bullet.

I want to try some heavy bullets (220 - 240 gr) in a 308 Norma mag, or a 300 H&H, and have thought that 10" twist would be suitable. I seem to remember that the WBY is slower than that, but my memory may not be correct.

Thanks,

KB
    1 and 10 twist but also my barrel has the new AccuMark 3/8 free bore as opposed to the old Weatherby 7/8 free bore.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default impressive

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    AWESOME! Maybe better said - IMPRESSIVE!!!
    Thorís Hammer

What an interesting, exciting and encouraging day at the range testing my Custom 300WBY mag and the 240gr Woodleigh bullet.

Now the 300WBY was quite impressive. With IMR7828 I reach 2708fps and shot a 3/8 inch group. I cannot impress upon you all just how awesome and powerful and at the same time how easy this rifle and round was to shoot much less reload. WOW what a rifle (Thorís Hammer) and what a load (the spirit of Thor).
    Yea, I know exactly how you feel. It's the same for me every time I shoot my 338 Win Mag with 225 gr bullets at about 2700 fps.

There is another cartridge I want to test, namely the 8x68S, but I'll have to build a rifle to enjoy that one. Maybe I'll do that. I'm curious what it would do with the Woodleigh 250gr. I'll bet it is in the awsome - impressive class as well.

KB