Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel consumption question

Question Fuel consumption question

Very simple answer is all I want and I do know there are literally thousands of variables to the answers given and I am comparing an apple to an orange but I just want to know the difference between the two if that is possible. (I've only run OB jets on rivers, we're relocating to SE and I'm looking at the following)

22 ft Searunner HT-ET with 150hp (yamaha-honda does not matter to me)
    or
    20 ft Searunner HT-ET with 115 hp (yamaha-honda does not matter to me)

I am leaning toward the 22 ft because I have a wife that loves to fish, daughter, husband and grandkids like to fish. I won't have the whole crew in the boat at the same time but was thinking of the extra space for fishing just out of Auke or near their house on Douglas. Anyway just wondering what the difference gal/hr would be. Like I said lets not get in a big deal about this just the difference between the two.

I think you're looking at ~5 gph for the 115 and ~6gph with the 150. I've got a zuki 140 that burns right at 6gph at cruise. At WOT fuel consumption will be double.

An extra couple feet in a boat that size makes a huge difference.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

sisusuomi,

I quick google search showed the following site:
    http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/owner...ance-bulletins

Enter your boat type and manufacturer and you can see some perfromance numbers.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by sisusuomi View Post
    Very simple answer is all I want and I do know there are literally thousands of variables to the answers given and I am comparing an apple to an orange but I just want to know the difference between the two if that is possible. (I've only run OB jets on rivers, we're relocating to SE and I'm looking at the following)

22 ft Searunner HT-ET with 150hp (yamaha-honda does not matter to me)
    or
    20 ft Searunner HT-ET with 115 hp (yamaha-honda does not matter to me)

I am leaning toward the 22 ft because I have a wife that loves to fish, daughter, husband and grandkids like to fish. I won't have the whole crew in the boat at the same time but was thinking of the extra space for fishing just out of Auke or near their house on Douglas. Anyway just wondering what the difference gal/hr would be. Like I said lets not get in a big deal about this just the difference between the two.

From what I was taught, it runs pretty close. If you take the first to number and that will get you the GPH at WOT

115= 11 GPH
    150= 15 GPH

Note again weight and seas will play into to this.
    I have twin 115 on a hewes 26 and running wide open I burn aroun 21/22 GPH
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Paul H knows of what he speaks. The 22 footer with a DF140 would be an awesome choice, in both fuel economy and fishability.

I think Ak Gray estimate is pretty close. I run twin 150's and wot burn 32 to 35 gph. Cruise is around 15 gph.

Thank you gentlemen the information you provided is excellent. May the Finnish god and goddess of fishing bless you all season. I just got off the phone with a bud that owned a 20 footer and he flat said don't bother buy the 22 so it's the 150 for sure. Probably will get a Honda.
    Thank you again.
    SisuSuomi aka Scott

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Thank you gentlemen the information you provided is excellent. May the Finnish god and goddess of fishing bless you all season. I just got off the phone with a bud that owned a 20 footer and he flat said don't bother buy the 22 so it's the 150 for sure. Probably will get a Honda.
    Thank you again.
    SisuSuomi aka Scott
    Good luck to you sir...perhaps we'll see you out on the salt.

Thank you again.
    SisuSuomi aka Scott
    man did I screw this up. he said don't buy the 20 get the 22. some times i think my fingers are handicapped

I will also add my two pennies. Go with the 22 ocean pro of the searunner. You will notice the extra beam big time. Also consider stepping up to a 200 horse motor. People that are running the F150 are running them pretty hard to get the desired performance. I suspect your fuel burn will be about the same at a 30 mph cruise with both motors as well.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Or go for a 240 ocean pro with a 225...

Another engine to consider if a 150 isn't quite enough is the suzuki 175, I believe fuel burn at cruise is right aroung 7.5 gph, and wot is 15 gph. It's realatively light for an engine it's size.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I will also add my two pennies. Go with the 22 ocean pro of the searunner. You will notice the extra beam big time. Also consider stepping up to a 200 horse motor. People that are running the F150 are running them pretty hard to get the desired performance. I suspect your fuel burn will be about the same at a 30 mph cruise with both motors as well.
    Spoiled one hit the nail on the head. I had a 22 Ocean Pro before our current boat with a 150hp Honda. The Ocean Pro itself was a great boat and the extra beam made a huge difference in space and stability. However, the boat was terribly under powered with a 150hp and I hated it because of it. I'd think a 150hp on a Searunner would be a minimum and I'd seriously think about going to a 200hp or 175hp as Paul suggested.

I've got a 2284 raider which is very comparable to a 22 ocean pro.....I've got a yam 225 on it and while it's plenty, it's definitely not too much. I cruise at 4000 rpms at 25-26 kts. Gives me a fuel burn around 8 gph. I uppitched the prop and got a stainless......huge improvement on grab and cruise. Oddly didn't seem to boost top end much but I see that speed about twice a year when I feel like burning 20 gph.....so not too often.

IF you have the cash, always go long. I love my Raider, but an extra two feet would make for nicer overnights with two people. But for Juneau Daytrips......it's a perfect set up. Fast, relatively efficient, can handle more water than I have nerve to go into, and wide/stable. Was also at the top end of my budget, but no regrets. Juneau with a boat that can actually take you somewhere is a beautiful thing. Have way too many buddies with 18-20 foot boats that are either of an age or design that they think Couverden is waaay out there. For me it's a one hour ride at easy cruise.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I have to 22' Ocean Pro with 150, and I think its a myth that the 150 is overworked on the 22' OP. Even with a heavy load, I can still cruise in the mid 20's in the 4200-4500 rpm range. I get between 6-8 gph cruising 4000-4500rpm. The only time I would think I would need more HP is a yukon river moose hunt. I plan on doing that this year, if weight/load trials this summer make me believe my motor can handle it.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Hoose, do you have a Honda on your boat? Ive wondered if it was my Honda and that a Yamaha would have done better. Ive had similarr experiences on smaller engines. Same boat same hp different brand motor and the performance was way different? Id still say to get a 200hp or 250hp on an ocean pro but to each there own.

I have a 22 foot Boulton soft top powered by a Honda BF130, at around 4000 RPM, 25MPH, I burn 5-6 GPH. Im not the most experienced but, I have really only felt it was under powered one time, a late season deer hunt with an extra 1000 pounds on board with 5-6 foot seas. No fun at all but talk about a good feeling once getting back into the harbor!

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Hoose, do you have a Honda on your boat? Ive wondered if it was my Honda and that a Yamaha would have done better. Ive had similarr experiences on smaller engines. Same boat same hp different brand motor and the performance was way different? Id still say to get a 200hp or 250hp on an ocean pro but to each there own.
    I have a Yamaha. I have heard more than one instance of Hondas that seem underpowered, mostly from guys on the kenai river. I have no experience with honda other than a 9.9 kicker I had. I do agree that a 200 or 250 would be a better option, I just wanted to state from my first hand experience that a 150 is adequate.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

22' Seems like a 'tween size. If I were faced with the choice, I'd go with the 150 Yamaha. Prop it right, and commit to whatever speed you get at 42-4300 RPM. That motor will last you longer than you'll keep the boat. Fuel Burn will be 6-7gph. Keeping the bottom clean and free of growth and barnacles in SE will be key anyway.

Maybe have some of the Juno guys chime in on how Yami service is there.

Luckily mine is new enough I haven't had to go for service, but I've heard no raging anger regarding Willies or Lawless marine. Also haven't heard any major kudos either.

I do no completely agree with 270 on motor size. While I agree the 150 is adequate and generally will not leave you under powered, if going new, the increase in cost to your monthly payment is minimal to go 200 or 225, and the extra power makes it a rig that will likely delay any itch to change into something else. From mine I couldn't imagine the next step would be any less than a 26 foot aluminum with a cuddy and a 300 or twins (after a lottery win). To me that's how much a wide 22'er like the ocean pro or raider with a healthy powerplant can do. IMHO if you are going to go 22ft, make it as skookum as you can (skip the regular sea runner), or if you have the cash, go with a 26 with more power and then may never have to get four foot itis.

But, I've owned way too much underpowered equipment in my life, from boats to trucks to snogo's and I am very sensitive to power ratios with as much as I can afford and be practical with for operation.

A big factor for me is the pure longevity of the 150's versus the 200's. Guys are pushing 5k hours with the 150's.. 200-225's seem to want to die much sooner.

Another issue is trolling off the main. Not sure how a 200-225 trolls.. can you troll 1.5kts if you need to with 22' boat? Everybody thinks they'll troll with the kicker, until they try it in the wind/current.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast