Thread: Coming to Talkeetna!

Default Coming to Talkeetna!

Finally, after 23 years on active duty I home during spring break so they entire family can make our long awaited AK trip. We'll be getting into ANC on the 31st and driving to Talkeetna for a week until the 5th. No real any plans except the wife has dog sledding on her bucket list, but she graciously suggested the boys and I could bum at the airport for the day so we don't ruin her experience) It'll be hard to leave the farm for a week+ but this is our only opportunity to get away from the crazy, liberal crowd here in western WA before I head back to Afghanistan in May. I'm a little afraid, my wife said "If we get up there and they don't care that I wear Carharts muck boots, and flannel and everyone has guns, you're selling the Stearman and Cub, buying a Super Cub and we're moving..." I think that's why I fell in love 23 years ago. Mike-

Ha, stearmann,....sounds like you've got a Wise Woman there,..

Have fun,...that's a great post,...

hope you don't get stuck, then maybe that's where you all belong,..(grin)
    there are a few, of the more liberal slant in that area,...you'll like them tho
    (not as extreme as W.Wash..., that's for sure)

Man, you're gonna have a blast, good choice of destination
    Get your camera working, right,...then post up some pics, maybe ??

I used to live up there, still have occasional withdrawals from the Talkeetna Experience

It used to look like this, back in the early Eighties,..a little different now,...but the same spirit prevails,...

Quiet in the Morning,.... Relaxed in the Evening,....Talkeetna is, "One Cool Town"

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Go ski flying with Don Lee http://www.alaskafloats.com/ he has a nice cabin to stay in But might be full of ski flyers. Do a flight around Denali with talkeetna air taxi. talkeetna road house is a great place for breakfast. My wife made the mistake of bringing me up see her relatives one summer. When we retired from USAF just moved straight here from Germany. Started flying here 6 years ago in a pacer. Last week followed the Iron dog race to Nome in the supercub. I am sure others will post on things to do.
    DENNY

I remember liking Kodiak a lot too. Back in the 90s we used to go up to Kodiak for 3 weeks each summer to train at the SEALs (Navy) winter warfare facility. Driving Zodiacs around at night, "dry-suit appreciation swims" just wearing swim trunks and boots. Hopefully this trip will be a little more relaxing. Mike-

You will be showing up at the right time Mike...just before the flood of tourists for summer. The photos KodiakRain posted bring back some good memories. Kitty's red Ford K2 Pickup in that first pic...longggg before K2 was sold to Jim Okonek and then to the Rust family. The '76 sign in the second pic is now Twister Creek and Denali Brewing, we'll have to go there for dinner when you get here.

KodiakRain, the Ranger Station in your second pic now resides at the end of Main St. and it's a chocolate shop. There's a new art studio/shop in it's location now.

Lots has changed since when I arrived here in 1981, but it's still a great place to live.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    You will be showing up at the right time Mike...just before the flood of tourists for summer. The photos KodiakRain posted bring back some good memories. Kitty's red Ford K2 Pickup in that first pic...longggg before K2 was sold to Jim Okonek and then to the Rust family. The '76 sign in the second pic is now Twister Creek and Denali Brewing, we'll have to go there for dinner when you get here.

KodiakRain, the Ranger Station in your second pic now resides at the end of Main St. and it's a chocolate shop. There's a new art studio/shop in it's location now.

Lots has changed since when I arrived here in 1981, but it's still a great place to live.
    Yep - - - - - and a lot more has changed since I first went there in 1956 ......................... !