Thread: Yukon River, Which boat to take

Default Yukon River, Which boat to take

So I have three boats. A 23 foot by 8 ft Svendsen Marine Kodiak Setnet Skiff with a 70hp yamaha, an old town discovery 17ft with 6hp suzuki, and a 16ft lowe tunnel hull with an etec 50hp jet. I would like to hunt moose this year and I've been thinking the Yukon. Most likely out of Circle. A friend of mine has killed a moose every year there going up river with a square stern canoe. So my first question is what boat should I take? I think the lowe is the best way to go but If the water is deep I sure like the carrying capacity of my Svendsen. I haven't been on the Yukon before so I'm not sure the water conditions. I do pack light and don't mind making trips, so is the lowe the best route? Last of all I have gone up the Big Sue and into the Deshka with the canoe so Im very comfortable with it. Would I be better off taking the canoe and motoring up and doing a float hunt down? I know I can paddle the canoe with a heavy load and that it can carry a heavy load because I have done it multiple times.

Tow the canoe with the skiff and you are covered.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If you are able to beach the skiff and maneuver in somewhat shallow water then I'll vote with Will. Even if you take the jet boat I'd still tow the canoe. Last moose I killed it was in a pond off to the side of the river. Was sure nice to be able to paddle to the far shore and load the moose and paddle back across to the river than carry the moose all the way around the pond. Canoe will be nice for some slough fishing, plus you can split up a little if you want to.