Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novice Hunter

Default Novice Hunter

So I have only been hunting twice, once in Louisiana and once up near Paxon so I was wondering what were some tips and tricks you guys have learned over the years? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ak for life View Post
    So I have only been hunting twice, once in Louisiana and once up near Paxon so I was wondering what were some tips and tricks you guys have learned over the years? Any input is appreciated. Thanks
    It might help if you were a little more specific with your question. Are you looking for tips on big game (moose/caribou/etc...), small game (rabbits, etc...), birds, or other things? Winter or summer hunting? Hunting by ATV, foot, boat, plane? Lots of information around here, but you just need to narrow down what you are looking for.

I was thinking more general information regarding big game fall hunting on genral items to bring, what to look out for, and overall advice. I would mainly hunt on foot so I know to pack light but any other information would be great.

Nothing replaces time in the field with an old man.Ok so maybe a lady,agreed.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Get some FnG maps, ask some friends, read onthe inter net then find some huntable land, and walk it.
    go back againa nd again, andyoull become familair with it. Carry a rifle and you will be hunting it, then stay out on it a night , then a week.

Alaska is V A S T so this piece of land your hunting might be 1,000,000 acres, so put some time into it. Figure out where you you like it best, of ten that comes with sucess.
    Shoot round while doing this and get to now your rifle at all ranges.
    Buy a small tent and othe rgear and see what works for you.
    Keep asking questions.

Become familiar, comfortable and youll be happy and sucessfull.

Have fun, or dont do it. HARD WORK can be Fun! you will see , they are often the best of memories, but first , start by getting out .
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Already some good advice, especially from Stranger. Alaska is vast and with it comes a lot of unproductive land. Animals tend to concentrate and/or migrate due to weather, seasons, pressure, etc. Be willing to move around especially as the seasons change. Visit your hunting ground at different times, ask other hunters and land owners. Many will help, especially if you offer a kind word, a cup of coffee, or some food. Look for signs of animal activity and be wiiling to spend the time required to learn the land. It's all fun.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

Shoot round while doing this and get to know your rifle at all ranges.

but first , start by getting out .
    First thing I thought of, before you even pick up a Regs book is, Get Real Familiar with your Rifle,...handgun, bow, whatever
    you can do that easy, and a lot,...
    and in my mind it makes all the difference when you get all excited about seeing something
    in the woods, and have all the other things to consider,...(how far am I from my Rig, now ??)
    Not having to worry about what your rifle can do, is a big one

Then the last line,....is perfect,...."Get Out There," as much as possible,...for any kind of eligible game,...
    even Bunnies in the Thicket,
    can be a blast, and you'll see that's what it's all about in the end,...gettin' out there,...the dining experience later, is a bonus,

yeah, it's a necessary one,..but you'll learn best by, "boots in the woods experience,..."
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Ak for life View Post
    I was thinking more general information regarding big game fall hunting on genral items to bring, what to look out for, and overall advice. I would mainly hunt on foot so I know to pack light but any other information would be great.
    My easy answer is to read every post on this forum going back to the begining. Read all of stranger's posts.
    The second easiest thing is to find someone that you like spending time with that hunts and tag along. However, some people are not very good at mentoring despite their accumulated experience.

Here are some starting points that I share with friends that ask me questions.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Dressing-pt-1

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-your-homework

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=best+knife

Are you livin' in Alaska or Louisiana? Hunting there as a non-resident vs. as a resident is a whole different kettle of fish. Also, if you are livin' in Alaska, where makes big difference.

Tips, my first hunt, and most successful to date, I and my huntin' partner took entirely too much stuff. Hiking trip with the wife on the Kenai, we took way too much stuff. My head must be hard, but pain and misery are teaching me valuable lessons. Light gear, less gear, quality gear, and get in shape. You can't go light and less with poor quality and you can't go far if you aren't in good shape.

I assume you are an adult looking to get more into hunting. If so I have standard advice since I have never met more new to hunting adults in my life than I have in Alaska.

First, hunters are the first conservationists, there is lots of time to look at tweety birds, bugs, plants and waters when hunting, so get used to that, and accept that hunting and killing are often separate things. Once you have your mind wrapped around that you are set for a life long enjoyment of taking weapons for a hike. And the kills are gravy.

Second, as Rain said, know your weapon, be safe with it and comfortable with it. I personally don't care if partners can't hit a bull in the butt with a barn shovel as long as they don't stick the muzzle in my face and always check what's beyond their target before missing.

Third, get out there, walk around, look at sign, read books about sign. When looking for advice and mentorship it helps if you have the basics of enjoying yourself and getting into it regardless of the body count. That way the person doesn't have to school you on why we hunt as much as how to hunt.

Overall, be patient. Those of us who were fortunate enought grow up hunting often started plinking cans with pellet guns, chasing gophers in the backyard, and after a few years of that got to actualy touch a firearm that used powder. Then maybe we got to chase squirrels or grouse or ptarmigan or bunnies with an adult watching close by....then once we showed we were safe and up to it, we got to chase larger animals. All of these things were rights of passage that took years. Granted if you are an adult this is accelerated and your judgement and physical ability are greater, but these rights are still a good idea of the progression and maturation of a hunter.

Despite the hunting shows and all that hooplah, this is the basic form of a hunter, the glory shots happen, the meat happens, but your first step is your head and your heart. To kill something should be a task taken very seriously and respectfully, success is not measured in heads on the wall.

Welcome to life, treat it well and stick with folks who have the right attitude. Just like a kid, adults can learn bad morals and habits if unitiated.

What Catch It said is sage advice - some of the best I've read on this site. You'd do well to heed those words.

Well said Catch!

Move, Stop, Look, Repeat. Make sure to take your time on Step 3.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Thanks for everything that has been said, it is all really good advice. I am living in anchorage and I am only 16. I have grown up in a non-hunting family so I really dont know a lot of the tricks. I am mainly looking for just good tips that can help me in the future.

16? It would be great to get hooked up with a mentor. Learning the right way to do things at your age would be priceless.

Also, you should really consider taking the Basic Hunter Education course that ADF&G offers. You'll get a good introduction to the basics through such a course.

First things first.....if you haven't been around guns much, JUST THINK SAFETY...!!! All the time, anywhere you go, and anything you do, when you have a gun in your hands.

Learn to treat every gun as if it's loaded.

When that bullet leaves the barrel you can't take it back......EVER.........no matter how sorry you are.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Listen to Catch, and 4merguide has it spot on.

There are many safety classes for guy yer age. There SO MANY DIFFERENT types of guns, actions and such , that a safety course will offer your best chance at least in kowing how identify and to use safely the myrids of firearms types. Useing them properly will be an exercise in good health, safety, self control, citizenship.
    Useing that gun/guns to make meat out hunting will make you a real Man, a Provider.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I have taken 2 saftey courses and have learned much from them.

the biggest tip I have learned in hunting especially in Alaska is Patience.. dont get in a rush.. everything you do in the woods or tundra should be calculated..keep a positive attitude ,Dont chase caribou that are feeding away from you, dont skyline yourself on a ridge, dont walk up the center of a valley when sheep hunting cause the sheep are watching.. moose are not as stupid as people make them out to be..well unless its the rut.. Brwn bear are not out to kill you..well most of the time... but they can smell like no other so dont trudge around in brown country if you are hunting them,just get up high and watch them.. great balck bear hunting can be had within minutes of Anchorage... find a friend,make some friends on the forum, Read the regs pick an area pick park your butt and enjoy all that is out there... the hard part is over...you are here...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast