Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bear baiting tools and tips

I agree northway, however getting a solid scent out during early season (mainly where I am hunting as the snow is just now gone) I like to run a VERY heavy scent after the bears are in I just do the norm to with a few tricks to get them to come in when they are playing hard to get.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

It can certainly be done cheaper or more expensive. Any scent (that bears like) is better than no scent but I think the placement of it is almost more important. You can have the strongest scents but if you are set up in a small bowl with minimal wind, you might have a hard time unless a bear stumbles into the bowl. Getting scent into the breeze gives it a better chance of reaching out there. Making scent trails in a few directions increases your odds that a bear will cross the trail and follow the scent back to your bait. Obviously some of us bait in higher population density areas (bears and other baiters) than others and could greatly influence the amount of effort required. Even more so if setting up a new site.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'll always add scent, I want new bears coming in as well. Just because some are coming in is no reason to ease off on telegraphing your baits location. Keep it stinking and keep new bears coming in!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

One thing I do with scent is pour a bottle of 907 baited scent onthe top rim of the barrel a couple times after they are hitting it soaks into their paws and hair and the track trails back to the sight. I do it all during the season and it fires up a bait

Don't eat a snickers, slim jim and red bull right before climbing into the stand. Your stomach will make some UNREAL noises...

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I'll always add scent, I want new bears coming in as well. Just because some are coming in is no reason to ease off on telegraphing your baits location. Keep it stinking and keep new bears coming in!
    Yeah northway doesn’t have clue what he talking about... I seen the bears he pulls off his stands up in his part of the world...

Better to be pulling bears that not pulling bears though!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Better to be pulling bears that not pulling bears though!
    I miss aksagebrush too bad you got him booted from this place lol.....

Lol it wasn’t me actually.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Seems to me, and this is just my opinion, that you spend way too much $$ on scents. Get something that smells and hang it up so that smell can get out. Can be simple like Vanilla extract, molasses, etc. Just something with a strong smell. That is all that is needed along with your bait. Once they are coming in, the scent isn't needed.
    I think it depends a lot on the area: bear density, hunter density, and time of year. As season progresses, boars get much more mobile, looking for receptive sows. If you have your scent broadcast out from your site several miles every direction on different game trails, your chances of getting that enormous boar that is traveling through get much better. For whatever reason, some bait sites get resident bears that basically camp out and live at the site throughout season, with a few pass throughs, and some get the more transitional bears. I don't want to eliminate any bears from my sites: so I keep broadcasting scent down the exit trails all season.

The more scent that is out throughout the entire baiting season, the better the odds will be of those "passing by" bears too catch a whiff and possibly come in. The resident and established bears will typically hang out no matter what.. Every single time I go in to hunt it, or especially too re-bait, I'm refreshing something or another regarding scent. I always try to keep the odds in my favor..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234