Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bear baiting tools and tips

I use mostly popcorn myself. I pop it in & haul out in those big plastic trash cans. They ride & tie on the 4 wheeler nicely. Because of the handles, they are also easy to carry out to the bait stand & you don't have to worry about getting a hole snagged in them. Just a suggestion from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    thisis my bear lollipops I use them to hold the bears and they spend a lot of time with them not chewing them up but licking them. I put 5-6 out and refresh as needed I put them low enough on a strong branch that they just lay down and enjoy them.
    I dont put scent in them .
    I use a snare that I bend the snare so that the eye hole that you would normally run wire to makes a kinda #8 that gets in the mix as it cools and then the snare end T put on a low tree limb I have never had them try to pull one off and run they just lay down and lick it
    even browns.
    The recipe I do in my garage on my coleman stove.

Medim high heat

16 cups sugar
    1 16oz corn syrup
    3 cups water
    3 packages of cherry koolaide generic walmart
    handful of black sunflower seeds you probably dont need them but I do it anyway.

I oil the inside of the silcone breads pans to make pulling them off easier.

mix all the ingredients together and start cooking stirring ocasionally, when it gets to 305 degrees it will be what is called hard crack pour it into your prepared bread pans and then let it get hard i put them in my freezer to get them to cool down quicker then use them as you need them throughout the season
    I will make 20-30of them I have had them last a day up to a week
    how many pans will this recipe fill? want o make sure i have evuff pans on hand before i start. thanks

It shouldake two

Do any of you use dogfood in your bait mixture? What type works best?

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Sapper View Post
    Do any of you use dogfood in your bait mixture? What type works best?

The cheap stuff!

Popcorn: Cheaper, lighter and doesn't have the protein level dog food has, so Browns don't care for it as much.

To haul: I use large canvas duffle bags that are 24" in diameter and 50" tall with a drawstring/flap top. Add on back pack straps and away you go. It's the best way i've found to haul popcorn bait and I don't have to worry about garbage bags tearing and making a mess all over or the popcorn getting wet. Easy to clean and store.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

FYI - the link for the duffle bags above is not the bags I use - I'm not sure how it got there.

If you want bags the same dimensions, you'll have to get them made at Alaska Tent and Tarp or by someone who can sew canvas, Cordura, etc.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    thisis my bear lollipops I use them to hold the bears and they spend a lot of time with them not chewing them up but licking them. I put 5-6 out and refresh as needed I put them low enough on a strong branch that they just lay down and enjoy them.
    I dont put scent in them .
    I use a snare that I bend the snare so that the eye hole that you would normally run wire to makes a kinda #8 that gets in the mix as it cools and then the snare end T put on a low tree limb I have never had them try to pull one off and run they just lay down and lick it
    even browns.
    The recipe I do in my garage on my coleman stove.

Medim high heat

16 cups sugar
    1 16oz corn syrup
    3 cups water
    3 packages of cherry koolaide generic walmart
    handful of black sunflower seeds you probably dont need them but I do it anyway.

I oil the inside of the silcone breads pans to make pulling them off easier.

mix all the ingredients together and start cooking stirring ocasionally, when it gets to 305 degrees it will be what is called hard crack pour it into your prepared bread pans and then let it get hard i put them in my freezer to get them to cool down quicker then use them as you need them throughout the season
    I will make 20-30of them I have had them last a day up to a week
    I like this idea thanks for sharing!

Im contemplating picking up a small amount of ethyl mercaptain to mix with vasaline to create a nice paste to smear on some branches and such around my site. Ethly mercaptain is the additive they add to propane to give it the unique smell it has. It also has been known to bring in bears FAST as a few old school F&G guys used to use the propane trick to lure in the bruins if i can get some fairly cheap i may give it a try and see how it does

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Im contemplating picking up a small amount of ethyl mercaptain to mix with vasaline to create a nice paste to smear on some branches and such around my site. Ethly mercaptain is the additive they add to propane to give it the unique smell it has. It also has been known to bring in bears FAST as a few old school F&G guys used to use the propane trick to lure in the bruins if i can get some fairly cheap i may give it a try and see how it does
    seems like that would be difficult to clean up at the end of the season.

Not really same concept as the black death and other compounds

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I have been soakin a large piece of carpet in molasses. Then staking it to the ground under my barrel. The first couple of bears walk on it and leave a scent trail every which way. They usually tear up the carpet and I have to put it back down and it gets ruined after a bit but not before they make some nice trails right back to the bait. Last year I put the carpet inside the barrel after it was tore up and have pictures of bears sucking on it through the hole. Just something to think about.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Not really same concept as the black death and other compounds
    I understand the concept, just saying that seems difficult to clean up once the season is over

Let's bring this good thread back up to the top!

I am by no means a pro at this yet but do have a few seasons under my belt. My first couple years I had issues getting bears to come in while in the stand. We would walk in, check the camera, rebait and climb in the stand 30 yds away. Would sit 4-5 hrs and could hear bears but would hang up out of sight. Camera would show bears on the barrel right before and after we would sit. They knew we never left while in stand despite being very quiet and still. I know there are some successful strategies like leaving an old sweaty shirt in the stand all season. I've always been more of a scent control guy when hunting big game so last season I decided to put some distance between myself and the barrel. I was 100 yds away, 40 ft up a bank and another 25 ft up a tree with thick cover. Visibility was limited to about a 10 yd area at the barrel but I got a lot more bears and they would stay for hours at times even sleeping at the barrel. Allows you to get away with a little more sound and fidgeting if sitting for hours without being caught. Once I've got a bear on camera that I'm after, I'll rebait to top off the barrel the night before I hunt, then slip in the next afternoon straight to the stand so the bears never know I'm there. Hopefully keeps them from going nocturnal too. Worked well last year so hoping to do the same again this year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Giving popcorn a go this year... pop it with the turkey fryer then dump it in my big white cooler.

Once it's in there I sprinkle Kool-aid on it, drizzle molasses, bait em's sweet surrender, and then jelly donut bear bait stuff you can buy at sportsmen's warehouse.

After all of that is added in I use a canoe paddle and mix it all up, wait for it to cool and put it in trash bags.

It turns out nice and sticky so it doesn't just fall out of the barrel as easily as regular popcorn and smells amazing.

Tip #2: go to Home Depot/Lowes, get a CHEAP sprayer

Hudson 30193 Favorite Eliminator 2.5 Gallon Sprayer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WEIJSE..._0AxezbESDFSYM

Example above...throw in bait em's dip drag, vanilla extract, or homemade deals and have at it. Super easy to spray tons of trees, perimeters, and trails around the site. Creates huge scent paths and leaves your site smelling awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When they stop hitting give them time and in a couple days they will be back

Figured I would show you guys what I am using for massive scent application.

Went to wally world and picked up a 1gal sprayer (7.89) 1 large bottle of canola oil, bought some Anise oil extract, raspberry extract, and maple seasoning, 2 big containers of kool-aid fruit punch and some water).

Here is the breakdown
    Canola Oil (1 large jug)
    2 large bottles of anise extract (oil form works best and can be found on amazon etc)
    1 bottle of raspberry extract (bakery type)
    1 bottle of maple syrup flavoring (bakery type)
    2 large cans of Kool-Aid fruit punch
    1 1gal (or larger) weed sprayer with pump.
    Add oil first then mix in the other ingredients and finish off with about 1quart of water (yes water and oil do not mix but this allows the pump to spray easily and the flavoring will bind with the oil to stick around on what you are spraying it on.)

MAKE SURE YOU SHAKE THE EVER LOVING PISS out of the bottle before spraying (to get everything mixed very well and allow the oil/water to semi bond a bit)

Spray this stuff on areas where there is brush/shrubs/grass etc that you want removed (thanks yogi for the free shooting lane) spray on entry and exit points of the trail (ground and on the brush) this allows the bears to carry the scent all over due to sticking to the fur and pads. The aroma sticks around for a fair amount of time and the oil just makes it stick to everything (be careful so you do not spray on your hands etc as you now will pull the scent to your tree stands etc.). See photos below
    Attachment 93183 Attachment 93184

Not seeing the photos?
    I use bait em 907 attractant spray, a lot more convienemnt for me than having to cook up all my own stuff and mess with sprayers.(keeps my wife happy when I'm not messing up her kitchen!!) I've got enough junk to haul around as it is. Spray bottles fit in the cup holders on my side by side!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Seems to me, and this is just my opinion, that you spend way too much $$ on scents. Get something that smells and hang it up so that smell can get out. Can be simple like Vanilla extract, molasses, etc. Just something with a strong smell. That is all that is needed along with your bait. Once they are coming in, the scent isn't needed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast